Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home generator success

My 1200 watt ETQ generator has been miserable.
Starts on ether, after endless pulls on the
starter cord. Really giving me trouble.

I'm running pure gas, 91 octane. Yes, the gas
is a couple months old. But, last week it ran
fine in my chain saw. So, it's not totally stale.

I'd heard of Splitfire spark plugs, supposed
to be good. Went to Home Depot, they have E3
plugs with a strange end on them. Well, try
Lowe's instead. They had the same plug. So, I
broke down and bought one. $5.97 for a spark
plug, that's insane.

Got home, put the plug in. Generator started
on the 4th pull. No need for ether. I'm pleased.

As with most machines, generator needs to be run
now and again.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/2013 8:29 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
My 1200 watt ETQ generator has been miserable.
Starts on ether, after endless pulls on the
starter cord. Really giving me trouble.

I'm running pure gas, 91 octane. Yes, the gas
is a couple months old. But, last week it ran
fine in my chain saw. So, it's not totally stale.

I'd heard of Splitfire spark plugs, supposed
to be good. Went to Home Depot, they have E3
plugs with a strange end on them. Well, try
Lowe's instead. They had the same plug. So, I
broke down and bought one. $5.97 for a spark
plug, that's insane.

Got home, put the plug in. Generator started
on the 4th pull. No need for ether. I'm pleased.

As with most machines, generator needs to be run
now and again.

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Mine started on one pull last test.
Gas in tank is probably 2 years old but it has stabilizer.
Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

On 10/09/2013 08:46 AM, Frank wrote:

Mine started on one pull last test.
Gas in tank is probably 2 years old but it has stabilizer.

That is seriously amazing!
If you did that with the ethanol gasoline sold here, you'd have to replace the carburetors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/2013 11:55 AM, tom wrote:
On 10/09/2013 08:46 AM, Frank wrote:

Mine started on one pull last test.
Gas in tank is probably 2 years old but it has stabilizer.

That is seriously amazing!
If you did that with the ethanol gasoline sold here, you'd have to
replace the carburetors.

About ten or so years ago, I bought a used snow blower.
The guy swears it worked fine. The fuel had specks of
black, which repeatedly clogged the carb jet (two stroke
Tecumseh). I put inline fuel filter, and that helped a
lot. Wonder if that was a problem with gasohol?

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/2013 12:03 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 10/9/2013 11:55 AM, tom wrote:
On 10/09/2013 08:46 AM, Frank wrote:

Mine started on one pull last test.
Gas in tank is probably 2 years old but it has stabilizer.

That is seriously amazing!
If you did that with the ethanol gasoline sold here, you'd have to
replace the carburetors.

About ten or so years ago, I bought a used snow blower.
The guy swears it worked fine. The fuel had specks of
black, which repeatedly clogged the carb jet (two stroke
Tecumseh). I put inline fuel filter, and that helped a
lot. Wonder if that was a problem with gasohol?

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

I've been going through problems with 2 cycle engines. An Echo leaf
blower, purchased last year wouldn't start ... last year, after a few
months. I went back to the dealer and he said the gas was old. Give me
a break. He proceeded to start it. I noted the choke and whether or
not to give it gas, during pulling. This year, it just wouldn't run
properly. It would start but would die if you tried to speed it up.
Can't adjust the stupid carb because of stupid EPA rules (probably
started in CA). I finally built a tool to fit the recessed micro D
shaft controls and it now works pretty good. I've been going nuts
trying to find the proper tool, but nobody will sell them because "they
are not allowed to do so." I really need the "official" tool, but they
seem to have vaporized in the market. I guess I'll have to do what a
friend suggested, disassemble the carb and put a screwdriver slot in the
end of the needle valve using a MotoTool.

Sorry for ranting. But, on my old Coleman generator, 8HP, 4KW, it
behaved very much like you describe. I always had to use starting
fluid. Finally, when one of the needle valves stuck and the carb
overflowed, I had to take it apart. I cleaned it up, reassembled it,
and tried to start it. Worked the same as before. Adjusted the carb,
while watching the output frequency, and after that, it pretty much
started without starting fluid. The one crazy thing was, you had to
start it at full choke and immediately after the 1st pop, back off the
choke ... really needed to people, one to pull and one to adjust the
choke. But, it pretty much would start after the 1st or 2nd pull.

I was always told not to use gas with ethanol. I'm not sure how much
difference this actually makes. One of the local small engine guys told
me that 95% of his business was ethanol related. I did find 2 stations
that sold non ethanol gas here in my small town. I will be using that
in future.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 09 Oct 2013 08:29:20 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

So, I
broke down and bought one. $5.97 for a spark
plug, that's insane.

First I try to clean (wire brush - Emory cloth) and re-gap the plug
before I buy new.

....back in the day we used a tool that held sand, attach an air hose
and blast the plug clean.

Similar to this but different:

http://www.tooldesk.com/images/previewFile/ATD-5105_std.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

So, I
broke down and bought one. $5.97 for a spark
plug, that's insane.

First I try to clean (wire brush - Emory cloth) and re-gap the plug
before I buy new.

If I'm going to bother with a plug, I replace it. Can't be bothered
with a flaky one.

...back in the day we used a tool that held sand, attach an air hose
and blast the plug clean.

Similar to this but different:

http://www.tooldesk.com/images/previewFile/ATD-5105_std.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

So, I
broke down and bought one. $5.97 for a spark
plug, that's insane.

First I try to clean (wire brush - Emory cloth) and re-gap the plug
before I buy new.

...back in the day we used a tool that held sand, attach an air hose
and blast the plug clean.

Similar to this but different:

http://www.tooldesk.com/images/previewFile/ATD-5105_std.jpg

Yes, I'd tried that. Not much success. Wire
brush, and then spray it out with ether to
rinse all the lamp black out.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, October 9, 2013 8:29:20 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

I start my generator on the first weekend of every month and let it run for about ten minutes to get up to operating temperature. Since we're heading into winter, I did the same with the snow blower this month, October. In the spring I switch from starting the snow blower monthly to starting the tiller monthly.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

OK, you are gloing to be ****es at me - but a normal Champion or NGK
plug of the proper heat range would have done the same thing, About
half the price from any real auto parts store.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

So, I
broke down and bought one. $5.97 for a spark
plug, that's insane.

First I try to clean (wire brush - Emory cloth) and re-gap the plug
before I buy new.

...back in the day we used a tool that held sand, attach an air hose
and blast the plug clean.

Similar to this but different:

http://www.tooldesk.com/images/previewFile/ATD-5105_std.jpg

Sandblasting made sense when a plug cost half an hour's wages or
more and the engines were made of iron. Doesn't make sense when a plug
costs less than 20 minutes labour and the engine has aluminum parts
that are quickly damaged by any grain of sand that gets stuck in the
plug and falls out in the engine.
I haven't sand-blkasted a plug in close to 30 years.

If I get a black one in an engine that won't start I just warm it up
with a torch until the insulator is clean and white. If that fixes it
- good. If not - new plug time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Sandblasting made sense when a plug cost half an hour's wages or
more and the engines were made of iron. Doesn't make sense when a plug
costs less than 20 minutes labour and the engine has aluminum parts
that are quickly damaged by any grain of sand that gets stuck in the
plug and falls out in the engine.
I haven't sand-blkasted a plug in close to 30 years.

If I get a black one in an engine that won't start I just warm it up
with a torch until the insulator is clean and white. If that fixes it
- good. If not - new plug time.

Back in the day, plugs did not last too long before they fouled out. Buying
6 or 8 would cost a lot in those wage days. Sand blasting was fine then.
Seemed like I was replacing the plugs and points around every 10,000 miles.
This was the 1961 and 1965 cars I had.

Now plugs in many cars will go 100,000 miles or more. You may change one
set in the life of many cars.

For small engines it pays to change a plug often so it will start. While it
did not need it, I would buy a kit for the riding mower that had the
filters, oil and new plugs. The plugs got changed every year with the other
items.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/2013 9:30 PM, Pavel314 wrote:

I start my generator on the first weekend of every month and let it run for about ten minutes to get up to operating temperature. Since we're heading into winter, I did the same with the snow blower this month, October. In the spring I switch from starting the snow blower monthly to starting the tiller monthly.

Paul

In months when you use the equipment, do you cancel the test?

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 9 Oct 2013 22:58:54 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Lead free gasoline, which also has virtually no phosphorous compouns,
has GREATLY enhanced spark plug life - along with exgaust life, valve
life, and even bearing and ring life.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 08:22:35 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 10/9/2013 10:36 PM, wrote:

OK, you are gloing to be ****es at me - but a normal Champion or NGK
plug of the proper heat range would have done the same thing, About
half the price from any real auto parts store.

Is this the same mind reading that tells me how
I mount a wheel on the back of my truck?

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

You don't like being told anything, so I just assumed you would take
exception to me saying ANY new plug would have solved the problem
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/10/2013 12:28 PM, wrote:
Is this the same mind reading that tells me how
I mount a wheel on the back of my truck?

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

You don't like being told anything, so I just assumed you would take
exception to me saying ANY new plug would have solved the problem

You'd save a lot of time, by not even trying.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

So, I
broke down and bought one. $5.97 for a spark
plug, that's insane.

First I try to clean (wire brush - Emory cloth) and re-gap the plug
before I buy new.

...back in the day we used a tool that held sand, attach an air hose
and blast the plug clean.

A friend gave me an electric one of those. And an extra package of
little glass beads. With electronic ignition, plug cleaning hasn't
been a problem.

Similar to this but different:

http://www.tooldesk.com/images/previewFile/ATD-5105_std.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/10/2013 4:26 PM, micky wrote:

A friend gave me an electric one of those. And an extra package of
little glass beads. With electronic ignition, plug cleaning hasn't
been a problem.

Similar to this but different:

http://www.tooldesk.com/images/previewFile/ATD-5105_std.jpg

J. C. Whitney used to sell them. Sadly, my generator
doesn't know that fouled spark plugs are a thing
of the past.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 18:10:38 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Sadly, my generator
doesn't know that fouled spark plugs are a thing
of the past.

So why did you buy a new plug
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Sadly, my generator
doesn't know that fouled spark plugs are a thing
of the past.

So why did you buy a new plug

Well, it was close to its birthday. And I
couldn't find just the right chocolates.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Sadly, my generator
doesn't know that fouled spark plugs are a thing
of the past.

So why did you buy a new plug

Well, it was close to its birthday. And I
couldn't find just the right chocolates.

No wonder the plugs were fouled. You've been feeding the thing
chocolates. Sugar is *bad* for the engine!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/12/2013 6:29 PM, Tony944 wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
No wonder the plugs were fouled. You've been feeding the thing
chocolates. Sugar is *bad* for the engine!

Well, at least it starts right up, and keeps
me warm all night. Acts glad to see me.
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

It most be bloody blind!!!

Well, the chocolate does make a mess of the
generator's brain function for a while. So, yes.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org