Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wall paper adhesive

I have to paste wallpaper on a VERY small area, approx 7" x 22".in my bathroom, The area has been repaired and prepped with a premium primer.

Went to garage; found my ANCIENT container of wallpaper paste is semi-solidified. I don't want to risk ruin the wallpaper -- not much extra left -- by adding water & hoping the paste will work.

Short of buying a large container of wallpaper paste which will never get used again, is there a product I can use to do this tiny job?

TIA

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message

I have to paste wallpaper on a VERY small area, approx 7"
x 22".in my bathroom, The area has been repaired and
prepped with a premium primer.

Went to garage; found my ANCIENT container of wallpaper
paste is semi-solidified. I don't want to risk ruin the
wallpaper -- not much extra left -- by adding water &
hoping the paste will work.

Short of buying a large container of wallpaper paste
which will never get used again, is there a product I can
use to do this tiny job?

Sure...

1. wheat paste

2. white glue

3. acrylic caulk

4. et cetera

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 Oct 2013 13:07:45 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

I have to paste wallpaper on a VERY small area, approx 7" x 22".in my bathroom, The area has been repaired and prepped with a premium primer.

Who has wall paper in the 21st century?

You might try water and flour for a paste?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in
news
wrote:

I have to paste wallpaper on a VERY small area, approx 7" x 22".in my
bathroom, The area has been repaired and prepped with a premium
primer.

Who has wall paper in the 21st century?

You might try water and flour for a paste?

water and flour

The cooks in Nam called that Bull ****
Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:
I have to paste wallpaper on a VERY small area, approx 7" x 22".in my
bathroom, The area has been repaired and prepped with a premium
primer.

Went to garage; found my ANCIENT container of wallpaper paste is
semi-solidified. I don't want to risk ruin the wallpaper -- not much
extra left -- by adding water & hoping the paste will work.

Short of buying a large container of wallpaper paste which will never
get used again, is there a product I can use to do this tiny job?

Try adding water, and pasting some paper to cardboard, and see how it works.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/7/2013 4:07 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
I have to paste wallpaper on a VERY small area, approx 7" x 22".in my bathroom, The area has been repaired and prepped with a premium primer.

Went to garage; found my ANCIENT container of wallpaper paste is semi-solidified. I don't want to risk ruin the wallpaper -- not much extra left -- by adding water & hoping the paste will work.

Short of buying a large container of wallpaper paste which will never get used again, is there a product I can use to do this tiny job?

TIA

HB

What was used originally (the "solidified" paste)? If wheat paste, it
is relatively cheap when not pre-mixed and should work fine. Brush on a
coat of plain paste for size and let it dry prior to putting up paper.
If the paper is pre-pasted, mix half-strength wheat paste, apply to
paper, book it for the proper time and then apply. If you use Elmer's
you will never get the paper off without ruining the drywall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/7/2013 4:07 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
I have to paste wallpaper on a VERY small area, approx 7" x 22".in my bathroom, The area has been repaired and prepped with a premium primer.

Went to garage; found my ANCIENT container of wallpaper paste is semi-solidified. I don't want to risk ruin the wallpaper -- not much extra left -- by adding water & hoping the paste will work.

Short of buying a large container of wallpaper paste which will never get used again, is there a product I can use to do this tiny job?

TIA

HB

How about something like this?
http://www.amazon.com/Zinsser-2861-S.../dp/B001AW1X58

or this?
http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-693...729849-8880558

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 7, 2013 11:12:15 PM UTC-4, Marilyn & Bob wrote:
On 10/7/2013 4:07 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

I have to paste wallpaper on a VERY small area, approx 7" x 22".in my bathroom, The area has been repaired and prepped with a premium primer.

Went to garage; found my ANCIENT container of wallpaper paste is semi-solidified. I don't want to risk ruin the wallpaper -- not much extra left -- by adding water & hoping the paste will work.

Short of buying a large container of wallpaper paste which will never get used again, is there a product I can use to do this tiny job?

TIA

HB

How about something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Zinsser-2861-S.../dp/B001AW1X58

or this?

http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-693...729849-8880558

Kind of what I was thinking. It's not like you have to buy a
gallon bucket of wall paper adhesive or spend $25. I'd just
go down to a store and buy a small can of the appropriate paste.

Some of the proposals seem questionable, like using acrylic caulk.
Even if it works, I would think it would be a mess to deal
with whenever the paper has to be removed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, October 8, 2013 6:29:03 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Thanks to all for thoughtful suggestions. I could have gone to the store & asked THEM -- but you probably know MORE & have no axe to grind.

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

Some of the proposals seem questionable, like using
acrylic caulk. Even if it works,

It will work.

I would think it would be a mess to deal
with whenever the paper has to be removed.

He wants to put it on, not take it off

But yes, it would require a bit of work to get off. So would white glue.
BTW, wetting the paper should weaken the bond with WG sufficiently so that
the paper could be peeled off without damaging the gyp board. Further
washing & scraping would remove all or most of the white glue and residual
wallpaper; certainly enough to paint or re-paper.

Another oddball "adhesive" that could be used is drywall mud. Drying, not
setting so that it could be washed off when/if desired. In fact, some of
the commercial adhesives for heavy weight cloth backed vinyl are pretty much
the same as drywall mud. A bit stickier, maybe.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have to paste wallpaper on a VERY small area, approx 7" x 22".in my bathroom, The area has been repaired and prepped with a premium primer.

Who has wall paper in the 21st century?

+1!!!!!!

You might try water and flour for a paste?

....then eat it. It's about the best use for the wall paper, too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 7, 2013 1:07:45 PM UTC-7, Higgs Boson wrote:
I have to paste wallpaper on a VERY small area, approx 7" x 22".in my bathroom, The area has been repaired and prepped with a premium primer.

Went to garage; found my ANCIENT container of wallpaper paste is semi-solidified. I don't want to risk ruin the wallpaper -- not much extra left -- by adding water & hoping the paste will work.

Short of buying a large container of wallpaper paste which will never get used again, is there a product I can use to do this tiny job?

TIA

HB

Thanks to all who offered *constructive* suggestions. I panicked when out-of-town company was due and slapped on the tiny wallpaper section with white glue. You know what? The world did not come to an end g

Again, appreciate the help.

HB

Wall tile adhesive as floor tile adhesive Cursitor Doom UK diy 10 October 6th 13 09:47 AM
Wall Paper Blmtn Home Repair 3 June 10th 08 04:28 AM
old wall - plaster board or wall paper? Steve R UK diy 4 March 28th 07 09:43 PM
removed wall paper and drywall paper came off with it PipeDown Home Repair 3 June 14th 06 04:01 AM
Sander problem: adhesive sand paper falls off [email protected] Woodworking 5 May 1st 06 05:45 PM