Posted to alt.home.repair

Default outdoor furniture

I have serveral wooden picnic tables and benches that stay outside all year. Now it`s time to treat them with somekind of water treatment. What do y`all use? How about Thompsons oil base water seal? Thanks for any reply
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 5 Oct 2013 03:45:47 -0700 (PDT), herb white
wrote:

I have serveral wooden picnic tables and benches that stay outside all year. Now it`s time to treat them with somekind of water treatment. What do y`all use? How about Thompsons oil base water seal? Thanks for any reply

I've never heard anything good about Thompson's. I use Penofin oil
with good results.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"herb white" wrote in message

I have serveral wooden picnic tables and benches that stay outside all
year. Now it`s
time to treat them with somekind of water treatment. What do y`all use?
How about
Thompsons oil base water seal? Thanks for any reply

We need to know first
-- How many seasons these have been outdoors;
-- What timber they are made of; (many users judge that Pressure-Treated
Lumber and some timbers, e.g. teak, cedar, need no treatment);
-- How smooth the surface is. Some users think sanding smooth protects
better than waterproofing stains.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 5 Oct 2013 10:44:36 -0400, "Don Phillipson"

Lumber and some timbers, e.g. teak, cedar, need no treatment);
-- How smooth the surface is. Some users think sanding smooth protects
better than waterproofing stains.

That is true. The only reason to treat them is the UV inhibitors help
preserve the colors and prevent the natural graying of the wood.
Depends on what you want as appearance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have serveral wooden picnic tables and benches that stay outside all year. Now it`s time to treat them with somekind of water treatment. What do y`all use? How about Thompsons oil base water seal? Thanks for any reply

I've never heard anything good about Thompson's. I use Penofin oil

with good results.

Cn you still GET oil-based water seal in your state? CA outlawed it some years ago (along with oil-based porch paint, etc.etc.) and the few times I used the water-based, I was not satisfied.

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

"herb white" wrote in message

I have serveral wooden picnic tables and benches that stay outside all year.
Now it`s time to treat them with somekind of water treatment. What do y`all
use? How about Thompsons oil base water seal? Thanks for any reply

I would get rid of all the horizontal boards and replace with Trex or
something like that and problem solved. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

"WW" wrote:
"herb white" wrote in message

I have serveral wooden picnic tables and benches that stay outside all
year. Now it`s time to treat them with somekind of water treatment. What
do y`all use? How about Thompsons oil base water seal? Thanks for any reply

I would get rid of all the horizontal boards and replace with Trex or
something like that and problem solved. WW

....other than the new problem of having furniture that no longer looks of
feels like wood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 5 Oct 2013 20:31:50 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

I would get rid of all the horizontal boards and replace with Trex or
something like that and problem solved. WW

...other than the new problem of having furniture that no longer looks of
feels like wood.

.... and possible heat from the sun?