Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Erratic Refrigrator

I have a 10 year old Jennair up/down refrigerator.

Last Friday both freezer and refrigerator started to get warm. Judging by
the noise, the compressor was running.

Saturday it kept getting warmer, while the machinery inside was making the
right noises. All of our food was lost.

Sunday I unplugged the unit, waiting for the service man to come on Monday.
There seemed to be no point in having it run but not cooling.

This (Monday) morning I plugged the unit in again. It made the same noises
(compressor running) AND iT WAS COOLING again.

The temps keep dropping by the hour.

What could be the cause for this kind of behavior and what can I do about
it? It hurts to waste all this food.

--

www.rationality.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/30/2013 10:48 AM, Walter E. wrote:
I have a 10 year old Jennair up/down refrigerator.

Last Friday both freezer and refrigerator started to get warm. Judging
by the noise, the compressor was running.

Saturday it kept getting warmer, while the machinery inside was making
the right noises. All of our food was lost.

Sunday I unplugged the unit, waiting for the service man to come on
Monday. There seemed to be no point in having it run but not cooling.

This (Monday) morning I plugged the unit in again. It made the same
noises (compressor running) AND iT WAS COOLING again.

The temps keep dropping by the hour.

What could be the cause for this kind of behavior and what can I do
about it? It hurts to waste all this food.

defrost thermostat went bad.

the ice clogging up behind the freezer panels melted. it will stop
cooling again after it ices up again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, September 30, 2013 1:48:50 PM UTC-4, Walter E. wrote:
I have a 10 year old Jennair up/down refrigerator.

Last Friday both freezer and refrigerator started to get warm. Judging by

the noise, the compressor was running.

Saturday it kept getting warmer, while the machinery inside was making the

right noises. All of our food was lost.

Sunday I unplugged the unit, waiting for the service man to come on Monday.

There seemed to be no point in having it run but not cooling.

This (Monday) morning I plugged the unit in again. It made the same noises

(compressor running) AND iT WAS COOLING again.

The temps keep dropping by the hour.

What could be the cause for this kind of behavior and what can I do about

it? It hurts to waste all this food.

If the compressor is running and it's not cooling, then something
major is wrong, ie refrigerant link, compressor kaput, etc. With a
10 year old unit, I'd be looking at the cost of a new one, compared
to what the service guy is going to tell you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 30 Sep 2013 10:48:50 -0700, "Walter E."
wrote:

What could be the cause for this kind of behavior and what can I do about
it? It hurts to waste all this food.

In any situation like this is to ice down your food; in an insolated
cooler, ask a neighbor for some storage space or ....

Ice comes in bags, blocks, but the best is Dry-ice. YMMV
Senior Member

Look in the freezer compartment for a removable panel.

Behind that panel will be the evaporator coil, evaporator fan and defrost heater.

It could simply be that your defrost heater has stopped working so that frost is caking up so badly on your evaporator coil that air is no longer flowing through the fins of the coil but over a big hunk of frost, and that's not sufficient to provide proper cooling.

When you unplugged the fridge for a few days, that frost would have melted, so you get proper cooling again, but once the frost accumulates again, you'll be back to where you were before.

Find that removable panel and remove it to see what your evaporator coil normally looks like without any frost on it. Wait for the problem to happen again and see if it looks the same or is all clogged up with frost.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Walter E." wrote in message
I have a 10 year old Jennair up/down refrigerator.

Last Friday both freezer and refrigerator started to get warm. Judging by
the noise, the compressor was running.

Saturday it kept getting warmer, while the machinery inside was making the
right noises. All of our food was lost.

Sunday I unplugged the unit, waiting for the service man to come on
Monday. There seemed to be no point in having it run but not cooling.

This (Monday) morning I plugged the unit in again. It made the same noises
(compressor running) AND iT WAS COOLING again.

The temps keep dropping by the hour.

What could be the cause for this kind of behavior and what can I do about
it? It hurts to waste all this food.

--

www.rationality.net

Well, the service man was here. He said I need a new compressor for $ 947.
He checked the pressure on what he said was the low side. It read 10 lbs. He
said that a correct reading would be zero or maybe 2 or 3. "Luckily" he had
just the right compressor on his truck.

The trouble with a/c repairs is that the layman is almost totally ignorant
and at the mercy of the technician. It's a field ripe for rip-offs, just
like TV repairman used to be in the old days.

Well, can't live without a refrigerator! And glad for it, too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/30/2013 1:48 PM, Walter E. wrote:
I have a 10 year old Jennair up/down refrigerator.

Last Friday both freezer and refrigerator started to get warm. Judging
by the noise, the compressor was running.

Saturday it kept getting warmer, while the machinery inside was making
the right noises. All of our food was lost.

Sunday I unplugged the unit, waiting for the service man to come on
Monday. There seemed to be no point in having it run but not cooling.

This (Monday) morning I plugged the unit in again. It made the same
noises (compressor running) AND iT WAS COOLING again.

The temps keep dropping by the hour.

Sounds like it could be freezing up. Bad defrost units, bad evaporator
fan, possibly a couple of other things. Figure a $75 service call to
find out Then add parts and labor. If you like the fridge, get it
fixed, otherwise it may not be much more for a new one. Basic models
are $400 and up, bu t fancy ones easily top $2000.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/30/2013 2:13 PM, Walter E. wrote:

"Walter E." wrote in message
[...]

Gosh I hope you weren't ripped off. I would be suspicious that a service
tech may have sold you a new compressor when that wasn't the problem and
he repaired the actual problem which wasn't that severe.
I'm suspicious because refrigeration repair is one of the legal things
I've done for a living. The problem you described is what usually
happens when a defrost timer goes bad. Around $8.00 wholesale and if a
tech charged you $25.00 for one, that wouldn't be out of line. Service
call charges vary with which area you're in. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 30 Sep 2013 12:13:37 -0700, "Walter E."
wrote:

Well, the service man was here. He said I need a new compressor for $ 947.
He checked the pressure on what he said was the low side. It read 10 lbs. He
said that a correct reading would be zero or maybe 2 or 3. "Luckily" he had
just the right compressor on his truck.

Don't you get it? Lucky a repair man just had the exact, perfect model
on "his truck". What was his commission on the sale?

With $947, what was the cost of the lost food?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:36:39 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Gosh I hope you weren't ripped off. I would be suspicious that a service
tech may have sold you a new compressor when that wasn't the problem and
he repaired the actual problem which wasn't that severe.
I'm suspicious because refrigeration repair is one of the legal things
I've done for a living. The problem you described is what usually
happens when a defrost timer goes bad. Around $8.00 wholesale and if a
tech charged you $25.00 for one, that wouldn't be out of line. Service
call charges vary with which area you're in. ^_^

OP just bought a new compressor. $947.00, right?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Gosh I hope you weren't ripped off. I would be suspicious that a service
tech may have sold you a new compressor when that wasn't the problem and
he repaired the actual problem which wasn't that severe.
I'm suspicious because refrigeration repair is one of the legal things
I've done for a living. The problem you described is what usually
happens when a defrost timer goes bad. Around $8.00 wholesale and if a
tech charged you $25.00 for one, that wouldn't be out of line. Service
call charges vary with which area you're in. ^_^

OP just bought a new compressor. $947.00, right?

It's got to be a very special compressor for $947.00. Now that could be
the entire cost of parts and labor but that's still a very expensive
repair unless it's a proprietary special gold plated compressor. o_O

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 30 Sep 2013 16:14:24 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

OP just bought a new compressor. $947.00, right?

It's got to be a very special compressor for $947.00. Now that could be
the entire cost of parts and labor but that's still a very expensive
repair unless it's a proprietary special gold plated compressor. o_O

I hate " proprietary ".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 30 Sep 2013 10:48:50 -0700, "Walter E."
wrote:

Ah, another moaner....

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I could make that kind of money. Problem is, I have
morality and conscience. I'm sure I'll drive rust buckets
and die poor, but my eternal soul won't go where that
service tech is going.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

It's got to be a very special compressor for $947.00. Now that could be
the entire cost of parts and labor but that's still a very expensive
repair unless it's a proprietary special gold plated compressor. o_O

TDD

Wonder if that $947 compressor comes with a big kiss?

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/30/2013 5:15 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

I was installing a phone system for a local HVAC company when I heard
the owner bragging about selling a $3,000.00 system when there was
absolutely nothing wrong except for a very simple repair. The customer
they reamed was an elderly couple in their 80's. I don't like people who
take advantage of anyone especially the elderly. O_o

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

I was installing a phone system for a local HVAC company when I heard
the owner bragging about selling a $3,000.00 system when there was
absolutely nothing wrong except for a very simple repair. The customer
they reamed was an elderly couple in their 80's. I don't like people who
take advantage of anyone especially the elderly. O_o

TDD

You went out and got your pistol, and shot him
to death on the spot? Or, more likely give him
a piece of your mind, and then tell everyone
you know about his scam?

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/30/2013 6:26 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I was installing a phone system for a local HVAC company when I heard
the owner bragging about selling a $3,000.00 system when there was
absolutely nothing wrong except for a very simple repair. The customer
they reamed was an elderly couple in their 80's. I don't like people who
take advantage of anyone especially the elderly. O_o

TDD

You went out and got your pistol, and shot him
to death on the spot? Or, more likely give him
a piece of your mind, and then tell everyone
you know about his scam?

No, I'm a professional when it comes to dealing with customers. I didn't
chastise the guy about it. I just did the job as I agreed
to, got my money then lost his number. I also spread the word at
every supply house and to every guy I knew in the HVAC business. I
don't think the miscreant is still in business. o_O

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message ...

On 9/30/2013 5:15 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Snip
[...]

TDD I am with you. I did radio repair in the 40's and 50's . Quick working
at two different firms because the owners were ripping off the customers. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/30/2013 8:17 PM, WW wrote:

[...]

You don't have to steal from people to make a living. My late friend GB
and me did a lot of HVAC work together and we took it easy on folks we
knew didn't have a lot of money. We would do a repair for an elderly
person and not charge them a lot then their family would call us to do
work for them at full price when they found out how well we treated
their elderly family member. I suppose it's good karma at work. ^_^

TDD

Senior Member

Yeah, me thinks that the $947 would have been better spent on a new fridge.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/30/2013 8:17 PM, WW wrote:

TDD I am with you. I did radio repair in the 40's and 50's . Quick
working at two different firms because the owners were ripping off the
customers. WW

You don't have to steal from people to make a living. My late friend GB
and me did a lot of HVAC work together and we took it easy on folks we
knew didn't have a lot of money. We would do a repair for an elderly
person and not charge them a lot then their family would call us to do
work for them at full price when they found out how well we treated
their elderly family member. I suppose it's good karma at work. ^_^

TDD

From each according to their ability, to each according to their needs.
(Karl Marx)

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/1/2013 12:35 AM, nestork wrote:
Yeah, me thinks that the $947 would have been better spent on a new
fridge.

Or drop a $947 and call the investigative news team.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, October 1, 2013 12:35:42 AM UTC-4, nestork wrote:
Yeah, me thinks that the $947 would have been better spent on a new

fridge.

Maybe. Depends on what the cost of a new similar one would be.
Those Jenn Air appliances aren't cheap. A new one could be $2500+
Also depends on if you want to stay with JA because all the other
appliances are JA, etc.

First thing I suggested was checking out what a new one would cost.
Often with some luck you can find a good deal. I bought a new KitchenAid
one that was a floor model at BestBuy for $1300, about half price.
It's been great for about 4 years now, except the motor for the door ice
delivery system apparently just went. I looked it up and was quite
surprised to find they are available for $75 and looks like it's very
easy to put in. Knowing how parts work, I thought it could be 3x that,
or that you had to buy a whole unit for 5x, etc. But I also think this is probably an example of using sub-standard parts. No kids, so there wasn't a whole lot of demand placed on it. I haven't taken it apart yet either.
May be a thermal fuse or similar too, if I'm lucky.

--

nestork

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/30/2013 3:11 PM, nestork wrote:
Look in the freezer compartment for a removable panel.

Behind that panel will be the evaporator coil, evaporator fan and
defrost heater.

It could simply be that your defrost heater has stopped working so that
frost is caking up so badly on your evaporator coil that air is no
longer flowing through the fins of the coil but over a big hunk of
frost, and that's not sufficient to provide proper cooling.

When you unplugged the fridge for a few days, that frost would have
melted, so you get proper cooling again, but once the frost accumulates
again, you'll be back to where you were before.

Find that removable panel and remove it to see what your evaporator coil
normally looks like without any frost on it. Wait for the problem to
happen again and see if it looks the same or is all clogged up with
frost.

That's exactly what happened to our GE. Installed a new defrost
heater and it is still working after 8 more years.

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
[...]

(And that's what makes me wonder about the need to replace the compressor. If the OP unplugged the fridge for a few days, and it seemed to work properly for a few days after that, I can't see it being the compressor. Compressors don't get better if you unplug them for a while. Ice melts if you unplug the fridge for a while, but a worn out compressor is still going to be equally worn out no matter how long you leave it unplugged.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/1/2013 12:35 AM, nestork wrote:
Yeah, me thinks that the $947 would have been better spent on a new
fridge.

That would be my choice. You can usually get one delivered the next
day. When my freezer died, the dealer could not get what I wanted for a
couple of days so he lent me a used one.

New fridge will cost from $400 to $3000 depending on your desires, but
947 makes a good head start.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Oct 2013 13:57:21 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 10/1/2013 12:35 AM, nestork wrote:
Yeah, me thinks that the $947 would have been better spent on a new
fridge.

That would be my choice. You can usually get one delivered the next
day. When my freezer died, the dealer could not get what I wanted for a
couple of days so he lent me a used one.

New fridge will cost from $400 to $3000 depending on your desires, but
947 makes a good head start.

My utility company will give a credit, I think it's a credit, for old
refrigerators _and_ pick them up on the curb for transport.

At least some dollars saved to buy new.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 1 Oct 2013 05:41:19 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Tuesday, October 1, 2013 12:35:42 AM UTC-4, nestork wrote:
Yeah, me thinks that the $947 would have been better spent on a new

fridge.

Maybe. Depends on what the cost of a new similar one would be.
Those Jenn Air appliances aren't cheap. A new one could be $2500+
Also depends on if you want to stay with JA because all the other
appliances are JA, etc.

Even on a $2500 (not all that expensive, BTW) 'fridge, I wouldn't
spend $947 on a service call. I'd have a new one.

First thing I suggested was checking out what a new one would cost.
Often with some luck you can find a good deal. I bought a new KitchenAid
one that was a floor model at BestBuy for $1300, about half price.
It's been great for about 4 years now, except the motor for the door ice
delivery system apparently just went. I looked it up and was quite
surprised to find they are available for $75 and looks like it's very
easy to put in. Knowing how parts work, I thought it could be 3x that,
or that you had to buy a whole unit for 5x, etc. But I also think this is probably an example of using sub-standard parts. No kids, so there wasn't a whole lot of demand placed on it. I haven't taken it apart yet either.
May be a thermal fuse or similar too, if I'm lucky.

--

nestork

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/1/2013 12:24 PM, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 01 Oct 2013 13:57:21 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 10/1/2013 12:35 AM, nestork wrote:
Yeah, me thinks that the $947 would have been better spent on a new
fridge.

That would be my choice. You can usually get one delivered the next
day. When my freezer died, the dealer could not get what I wanted for a
couple of days so he lent me a used one.

New fridge will cost from $400 to $3000 depending on your desires, but
947 makes a good head start.

My utility company will give a credit, I think it's a credit, for old
refrigerators _and_ pick them up on the curb for transport.

At least some dollars saved to buy new.

in my area, it's $30. it'll cost me at least that much to hire someone
to get it to the end of my driveway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/1/2013 4:10 PM, chaniarts wrote:

My utility company will give a credit, I think it's a credit, for old
refrigerators _and_ pick them up on the curb for transport.

At least some dollars saved to buy new.

in my area, it's $30. it'll cost me at least that much to hire someone
to get it to the end of my driveway.

The dealers here will remove the old appliances as part of the deal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Oct 2013 22:39:24 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 10/1/2013 4:10 PM, chaniarts wrote:

My utility company will give a credit, I think it's a credit, for old
refrigerators _and_ pick them up on the curb for transport.

At least some dollars saved to buy new.

in my area, it's $30. it'll cost me at least that much to hire someone
to get it to the end of my driveway.

The dealers here will remove the old appliances as part of the deal.

They probably grab the $30 or $100 from the utility. ;-)

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill[_47_] View Post
[email]
I understand one can sell steel for .10/pound, here in IN.
That's surprisingly high by my estimate.

Here in Winnipeg, scrap steel is $40 per ton, or about 2 cents per pound.

Copper would be closer to 10 cents per pound, which is why people will steel copper plumbing pipes and copper cable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 03 Oct 2013 15:51:36 -0400, wrote:

On Thu, 03 Oct 2013 13:36:49 -0400, Bill

On Wed, 02 Oct 2013 18:41:52 -0400,
wrote:

On Tue, 01 Oct 2013 22:39:24 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 10/1/2013 4:10 PM, chaniarts wrote:

My utility company will give a credit, I think it's a credit, for old
refrigerators _and_ pick them up on the curb for transport.

At least some dollars saved to buy new.

in my area, it's $30. it'll cost me at least that much to hire someone
to get it to the end of my driveway.

The dealers here will remove the old appliances as part of the deal.
They probably grab the $30 or $100 from the utility. ;-)
Around here any kind of "white goods" has a street life measured in
hours. A scrapper will come buy and take it away
I assume they break it down to the various metals and sell them.

I understand one can sell steel for .10/pound, here in IN.

They get a lot more for copper and aluminum. I see guys coming into
the scrap yard with all sorts of stuff, broken down by the type of
metal.
I assume the whole family sits around taking motors, transformers and
such apart and throwing each metal in a different bucket.

When my HAVC was replaced - it went to a "recycle", copper was the big
items salvaged (and other metals). Now I see ads on Cragslist for
people wanting lead acid batteries. How many bullets can you make
from lead in one car battery :-\

I like this ad: "Did your boyfriend-husband leave you with a bunch of
stuff ?" ..."I will buy it if you have the right to sell it. Looking
for tools-guns-ammo..."

Posted to alt.home.repair

"nestork" wrote in message

'Bill[_47_ Wrote:
;3129643'][email]
I understand one can sell steel for .10/pound, here in IN.

That's surprisingly high by my estimate.

Here in Winnipeg, scrap steel is $40 per ton, or about 2 cents per
pound.

Copper would be closer to 10 cents per pound, which is why people will
steel copper plumbing pipes and copper cable.

If you can find scrap copper for 10 cents a pound, buy all you can and bring
it to North Carolina. It is over $ 3 per pound. About 2 years ago it was
around $ 4 per pound.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 3 Oct 2013 16:37:22 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

If you can find scrap copper for 10 cents a pound, buy all you can and bring
it to North Carolina. It is over $ 3 per pound. About 2 years ago it was
around $ 4 per pound.

Crossing state lines with recycle can be criminal.

People in CA would come to NV, cross back to CA and sell the beer cans
at a higher price (fraud). Some states have a 5 cent deposit per
container.

just sayin'
Senior Member

Well, I Googled "Scrap Metal Prices" and I found out how far out of touch with reality I am.

This is a Canadian website, and it lists scrap copper at between $2.50 and $2.75 per pound.

I expect that scrap steel would be significantly higher than my guestimate of $40 per ton, too.

Erratic engine cranking dadiOH[_3_] Home Repair 23 April 15th 13 03:39 PM
Erratic leaf blower walter Home Repair 8 June 13th 12 08:25 PM
CD-player erratic with CD-Rs EpsilonRho Electronics Repair 6 December 8th 07 04:27 PM
Erratic gas pilot Boothbay Home Repair 8 April 27th 06 03:19 PM
Freezer compressor erratic Sam Home Repair 1 July 20th 05 09:03 PM