Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

Default Bought more batteries

Sigh. Rayovac sent me coupons, so I went and bought
more D cells. I figure when the world is off, I use
a bunch of those in fans, and flash lights. And
fluorescent room lights.

Storing these new in package, on the shelf. I may put
the packs in plastic Ziploc bags, and put in an ice
chest on the floor, to avoid temp swings, and summer
heat.

Wish me luck.

I also bought some rechargeable "precharged" AA cells.
I do use the most AA cells from day to day.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Sigh. Rayovac sent me coupons, so I went and bought
more D cells. I figure when the world is off, I use
a bunch of those in fans, and flash lights. And
fluorescent room lights.

Storing these new in package, on the shelf. I may put
the packs in plastic Ziploc bags, and put in an ice
chest on the floor, to avoid temp swings, and summer
heat.

Wish me luck.

I also bought some rechargeable "precharged" AA cells.
I do use the most AA cells from day to day.

Hi,
You must be a battery pack rat, LOL!
I have ab out half dozen of each kind.
I like Lithium ones.
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

Yes, that is very true. I also like the lithium ones.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/19/2013 5:30 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I also bought some rechargeable "precharged" AA cells.
I do use the most AA cells from day to day.

Hi,
You must be a battery pack rat, LOL!
I have ab out half dozen of each kind.
I like Lithium ones.

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

What does that accomplish?

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote:

Storing these new in package, on the shelf. I may put
the packs in plastic Ziploc bags, and put in an ice
chest on the floor, to avoid temp swings, and summer
heat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, September 19, 2013 3:54:57 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Sigh. Rayovac sent me coupons, so I went and bought more D cells. I figure when the world is off, I use a bunch of those in fans, and flash lights. And fluorescent room lights. Storing these new in package, on the shelf. I may put the packs in plastic Ziploc bags, and put in an ice chest on the floor, to avoid temp swings, and summer heat. Wish me luck. I also bought some rechargeable "precharged" AA cells. I do use the most AA cells from day to day. -- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus www.lds.org .

Why an ice chest, don't you have an electricaly powered refrigerator???
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

wrote:

Sigh. Rayovac sent me coupons, so I went and bought
more D cells. I figure when the world is off, I use
a bunch of those in fans, and flash lights. And
fluorescent room lights.

Storing these new in package, on the shelf. I may put
the packs in plastic Ziploc bags, and put in an ice
chest on the floor, to avoid temp swings, and summer
heat.

Wish me luck.

I also bought some rechargeable "precharged" AA cells.
I do use the most AA cells from day to day.

Looks like Stormin dropped one:

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/p...nclick_check=1

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Sep 2013 11:54:01 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 9/20/2013 10:07 AM, RobertMacy wrote:
On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 13:54:57 -0700, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Storing these new in package, on the shelf. I may put
the packs in plastic Ziploc bags, and put in an ice
chest on the floor, to avoid temp swings, and summer
heat.

Don't forget to pack them in rice.

What does that accomplish?

When they leak you will find your rice has a nice tangy taste.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I do have fridge, which is full of stuff. Including some batteries, of
course. I've read the mfr don't recommend refridge, just room temp.

Ice chest is more temp stable than on the shelf.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/20/2013 12:01 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, September 19, 2013 3:54:57 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Sigh. Rayovac sent me coupons, so I went and bought more D cells. I figure when the world is off, I use a bunch of those in fans, and flash lights. And fluorescent room lights. Storing these new in package, on the shelf. I may put the packs in plastic Ziploc bags, and put in an ice chest on the floor, to avoid temp swings, and summer heat. Wish me luck. I also bought some rechargeable "precharged" AA cells. I do use the most AA cells from day to day. -- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org .

Why an ice chest, don't you have an electricaly powered refrigerator???

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

I've been looking ALL OVER for that!

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/20/2013 12:27 PM, Frank wrote:

Looks like Stormin dropped one:

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/p...nclick_check=1

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On 09/19/2013 05:48 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Yes, that is very true. I also like the lithium ones.

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

On 9/19/2013 5:30 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I also bought some rechargeable "precharged" AA cells.
I do use the most AA cells from day to day.

Hi,
You must be a battery pack rat, LOL!
I have ab out half dozen of each kind.
I like Lithium ones.

If you bought one of the better brands of "precharged" you'll likely be
very happy with them.

The cell adapters that I referred to in a previous post from the Chinese
eBay seller showed up yesterday. I'm now 100% alkaline free! The cell
adapters are being used in some seldom-used C and D cell flashlights, so
they can still be used at a moment's notice, or else used to scavenge AA
or AAA cells from if required for something else. I'm using LSD NiMH
exclusively, save for one flashlight that uses 16340 (RCR123A) and a
couple Energizer lithium AAs that I'd bought ages ago for a finicky
digital camera and hadn't used.

I'm mostly happy with the cell adapters; the metal contacts may be a
little light duty for multi-amp draw devices, but for an emergency use
problem solver I feel better having them around.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Sigh. Rayovac sent me coupons, so I went and bought more D cells. I
figure when the world is off, I use a bunch of those in fans, and
flash lights. And fluorescent room lights. Storing these new in
package, on the shelf. I may put the packs in plastic Ziploc bags,
and put in an ice chest on the floor, to avoid temp swings, and
summer heat. Wish me luck. I also bought some rechargeable
"precharged" AA cells. I do use the most AA cells from day to day.
-- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org .

Why an ice chest, don't you have an electricaly powered
refrigerator???

My grandmother, until the day she died, referred to a refrigerator as an
"icebox" despite the fact that she'd had either an electric or gas
powered refrigerator for some 60+ years.

Shoot, I've never even seen an icebox in use, but I often call the refrigerator
"the icebox". Probably picked it up from my grandparents.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

I can easily imagine that. I like some of the old
terms, also.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/20/2013 3:40 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:

Why an ice chest, don't you have an electricaly powered
refrigerator???

My grandmother, until the day she died, referred to a refrigerator as an
"icebox" despite the fact that she'd had either an electric or gas
powered refrigerator for some 60+ years.

nate

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

You know, at least a couple people have recommended
the LDS NiMH cells. I've got some LDS nimmies, in
the last couple weeks. I'll have to figure out what
needs cells, what's leaked, and how to convert.

I also have some C and D adaptors, so I can use the LDS
double A cells.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/20/2013 3:45 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:

If you bought one of the better brands of "precharged" you'll likely be
very happy with them.

The cell adapters that I referred to in a previous post from the Chinese
eBay seller showed up yesterday. I'm now 100% alkaline free! The cell
adapters are being used in some seldom-used C and D cell flashlights, so
they can still be used at a moment's notice, or else used to scavenge AA
or AAA cells from if required for something else. I'm using LSD NiMH
exclusively, save for one flashlight that uses 16340 (RCR123A) and a
couple Energizer lithium AAs that I'd bought ages ago for a finicky
digital camera and hadn't used.

I'm mostly happy with the cell adapters; the metal contacts may be a
little light duty for multi-amp draw devices, but for an emergency use
problem solver I feel better having them around.

nate

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On 09/20/2013 05:22 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

LOL - Low Self Discharge, not Latter Day Saints... although I do see
some conservatively dressed young men on bicycles a lot around here,
don't know what they use in their headlamps

If you bought "precharged" that's marketing for LSD... you should be good

really, they're a drop in for their alkaline equivalents in many
applications - remote controls being one example of an application where
there really wasn't a good rechargeable available previously and now
with the LSD NiMH you can go green without feeling like it's turning
into a colossal PITA... they just work.

Probably most important is getting a good "smart" charger; mine is a
Maha C9000 which seemed to be the top of the class when I bought it,
there is a similar "SkyRC" brand charger that looks way cooler now but
it's pretty new. LaCrosse makes good chargers too. Not sure about
anything else. My backup charger is a Nitecore i4 because that will
charge lithium ions as well - I bought some protected RCR123As for my
one flashlight so I wouldn't have to feel guilty about using it. Not
saying those are the best choices, but I'm happy with both.

I also went ahead and bought the Maha 4-bay 9V charger and some Tenergy
8.4V "9V" batteries. Everything's working apparently fine, even all my
meters, which sadly I've had occasion to use as I think the battery is
dying in my car and I wanted some verification before ordering a new
one. Life good. Have not experienced the reported weak construction of
the Tenergy "9V" batteries, all have been in and out of the charger and
their intended devices w/ no problems.

As a happy coincidence (or perhaps intelligence on the part of the
mfgrs.) all three chargers will operate off 12VDC as well, so you could
charge cells in an emergency off of a car, loose 12V battery, solar
setup etc. I may still try to tap off one battery in my UPS but I don't
know if that will cause any undesired operation.

If you wanted to have the capability of easily charging every size cell,
you'd probably want yet another charger for C/D cells, the Nitecore will
do Cs but not Ds natively. the C9000 will do both with adapters
available off the bay, but with special instructions and only two at a time.

One note: all of the Tenergy branded cells/batteries came out of their
packaging at about 20-25% charged, not 70-75% charged as with Eneloop,
Maha Imedion, "Duraloop," etc. In their defense they are not advertised
as "precharged" or "ready to use" though. They did test to spec on a
break in cycle on my C9000. Will be testing unused cells in a couple
months to make sure they are really LSD.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On 9/20/2013 5:45 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:

LOL - Low Self Discharge, not Latter Day Saints... although I do see
some conservatively dressed young men on bicycles a lot around here,
don't know what they use in their headlamps

CY: Oh, bother. The old typing habits die heart.

If you bought "precharged" that's marketing for LSD... you should be good

CY: I'll look for that.

really, they're a drop in for their alkaline equivalents in many
applications - remote controls being one example of an application where
there really wasn't a good rechargeable available previously and now
with the LSD NiMH you can go green without feeling like it's turning
into a colossal PITA... they just work.

CY: yesterday, my digicam said to replace the batteries. Bother, so I
swapped them out with my mini mag set of batteries, and said those were
bad also. Got home, and both worked OK in the camera. The lower voltage
of NiMH doesn't work everything all the time. For example, won't light
my four AA cell fluorescent. But where they work, they are good.

Probably most important is getting a good "smart" charger; mine is a
Maha C9000 which seemed to be the top of the class when I bought it,
there is a similar "SkyRC" brand charger that looks way cooler now but
it's pretty new. LaCrosse makes good chargers too. Not sure about
anything else. My backup charger is a Nitecore i4 because that will
charge lithium ions as well - I bought some protected RCR123As for my
one flashlight so I wouldn't have to feel guilty about using it. Not
saying those are the best choices, but I'm happy with both.

CY: Yes, the charger is essential. I have two which say they do NiMH.

I also went ahead and bought the Maha 4-bay 9V charger and some Tenergy
8.4V "9V" batteries. Everything's working apparently fine, even all my
meters, which sadly I've had occasion to use as I think the battery is
dying in my car and I wanted some verification before ordering a new
one. Life good. Have not experienced the reported weak construction of
the Tenergy "9V" batteries, all have been in and out of the charger and
their intended devices w/ no problems.

CY: Glad that works for you.

As a happy coincidence (or perhaps intelligence on the part of the
mfgrs.) all three chargers will operate off 12VDC as well, so you could
charge cells in an emergency off of a car, loose 12V battery, solar
setup etc. I may still try to tap off one battery in my UPS but I don't
know if that will cause any undesired operation.

CY: Yes, that sounds good. Two of my chargers came with 12 volt lighter
socket cord. Which hasn't been needed, but who knows?

If you wanted to have the capability of easily charging every size cell,
you'd probably want yet another charger for C/D cells, the Nitecore will
do Cs but not Ds natively. the C9000 will do both with adapters
available off the bay, but with special instructions and only two at a
time.

CY: I have a couple Battery Manager Ultra, which are said to do NiMH
(and nicad and CZn, and alkaline) cells up to D cell size. How good is
it? Not really sure.

One note: all of the Tenergy branded cells/batteries came out of their
packaging at about 20-25% charged, not 70-75% charged as with Eneloop,
Maha Imedion, "Duraloop," etc. In their defense they are not advertised
as "precharged" or "ready to use" though. They did test to spec on a
break in cycle on my C9000. Will be testing unused cells in a couple
months to make sure they are really LSD.

CY: Worth knowing. Sounds like a good idea to charge them up, before
relying on them. After the first charge up (or two?) they might be LDS?

nate

Chris

P.S. Nice to have intelligent conversation about batteries. And, I
haven't called you a moron or idiot, yet!

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On 09/20/2013 06:08 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

[...]

I had one like that, a Nikon. Did you go into the menu and tell it that
you were using NiMH batteries? Should be a setting in there. that said
my @#$%#$ Nikon wouldn't work worth a crap on anything other than
Energizer Lithiums, I even bought Nikon brand NiMHs in case that made a
difference, now I have a pair of HSD NiMHs that I don't know what to do
with (camera is long retired.)

Probably most important is getting a good "smart" charger; mine is a
Maha C9000 which seemed to be the top of the class when I bought it,
there is a similar "SkyRC" brand charger that looks way cooler now but
it's pretty new. LaCrosse makes good chargers too. Not sure about
anything else. My backup charger is a Nitecore i4 because that will
charge lithium ions as well - I bought some protected RCR123As for my
one flashlight so I wouldn't have to feel guilty about using it. Not
saying those are the best choices, but I'm happy with both.

CY: Yes, the charger is essential. I have two which say they do NiMH.

That's only half the battle, make sure that they terminate on negative
delta-V (and with thermal protection even better) not just a timer based
charger. Adjustable charge rate is good too if you use a lot of AAAs as
"by the book" you don't want to regularly charge NiMHs at above 1C (that
is, you would not charge a 800 mAh cell at 800 mA rate, or in other
words, anything faster than a "one hour" charge is bad, "two hour" is
better.)

[...]

Dunno... did a quick google (very quick) but didn't come up with anything.

If it is sold on Amazon and "NLee the Engineer" has reviewed it, he
seems to totally geek out on this stuff and at the same time do pretty
decent reviews. I read his reviews a lot before realizing that there
was no one perfect charger, which is why I now have three :/ But I
would trust his opinion. Also there's a Dutch guy on CPF that posts
some good reviews too.

One note: all of the Tenergy branded cells/batteries came out of their
packaging at about 20-25% charged, not 70-75% charged as with Eneloop,
Maha Imedion, "Duraloop," etc. In their defense they are not advertised
as "precharged" or "ready to use" though. They did test to spec on a
break in cycle on my C9000. Will be testing unused cells in a couple
months to make sure they are really LSD.

CY: Worth knowing. Sounds like a good idea to charge them up, before
relying on them. After the first charge up (or two?) they might be LDS?

Tenergy "Centura" which is what I bought is their LSD line, but as with
pretty much everything that's made in China these days I "trust but
verify." One reason why I like having the C9000, I can really see what
the cells are doing while charging/discharging. Example - right now I'm
breaking in the last four of a 16-pack of Imedion AAs that I bought from
Thomas Dist.; I'm keeping an eye on slot #1 as it only discharged 14xx
mAh on initial discharge as opposed to the 17xx+ that I expect. On the
break in discharge cycle I'm hoping it shows the typical 23xx mAh that I
got from the rest of the cells... if not, I'll have to set that one
aside as "special" and not use it in a set. Yes, the Imedions are rated
2400 mAh but if you read the fine print they are only guaranteed 2250
mAh, I've been seeing low 2300s typically. Still a good deal at $40 for
16; cheaper than the 2000 mAh Eneloops which usually come in a little
above spec, although Eneloops really are the gold standard for LSD NiMH
AA and AAA cells. They might come up a bit in capacity after a few
cycles as well; I have only really cycled one set of cells so far. I
started converting all my stuff within the last year; I've been keeping
my charger busy breaking in all the new cells before putting them into
service and recharging the ones that I've actually run down through use,
haven't had time to mess about cycling cells just to try to see if I can
improve their capacity.

But anyway, point was that I'd rather geek out on this stuff now rather
than ASSume that I know that the cells are going to be at 70-80%
capacity after a year in the drawer and be disappointed when I'm
counting on them in a critical situation. Makes life much less
stressful that way!

nate

Chris

P.S. Nice to have intelligent conversation about batteries. And, I
haven't called you a moron or idiot, yet!

Give it time, give it time!

The funny thing about this whole discussion is we wouldn't have been
having this more than a year ago; it's only within the last year that
I've given rechargeables a good honest try with good equipment (after
lots of OCD interweb research) now I feel somewhat knowledgeable about
the subject, but more importantly, I've actually had uniformly good
experiences with my purchases, as opposed to a few years ago when I
*didn't* do my research and just bought some stuff off the shelf of a
store, which didn't work very well. (Energizer brand, which I now know
went through a real bad spell with rechargeable NiMH and the charger I
got was probably timer based as well.)

Now ask me again in another year if I'm as happy. I hope that I am.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On 9/20/2013 6:30 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 09/20/2013 06:08 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

CY: yesterday, my digicam said to replace the batteries. Bother, so I
swapped them out with my mini mag set of batteries, and said those were
bad also. Got home, and both worked OK in the camera. The lower voltage
of NiMH doesn't work everything all the time. For example, won't light
my four AA cell fluorescent. But where they work, they are good.

I had one like that, a Nikon. Did you go into the menu and tell it that
you were using NiMH batteries? Should be a setting in there. that said
my @#$%#$ Nikon wouldn't work worth a crap on anything other than
Energizer Lithiums, I even bought Nikon brand NiMHs in case that made a
difference, now I have a pair of HSD NiMHs that I don't know what to do
with (camera is long retired.)

CY: My choices are either alk/NIMH or Oxyride. I've got it set on
alk/NiMH. I read in CR, that the lithium advanced last longer than
lithium ultimates.

CY: Yes, the charger is essential. I have two which say they do NiMH.

That's only half the battle, make sure that they terminate on negative
delta-V (and with thermal protection even better) not just a timer based
charger. Adjustable charge rate is good too if you use a lot of AAAs as
"by the book" you don't want to regularly charge NiMHs at above 1C (that
is, you would not charge a 800 mAh cell at 800 mA rate, or in other
words, anything faster than a "one hour" charge is bad, "two hour" is
better.)

CY: I'd have no way to know. I've heard that there is some optimal rate
of charge, but I can't remember what that is. My Batttery Manager Ultra
says that the two chargers I have end up about 1.45 volts, which seems
good, to me.

CY: I have a couple Battery Manager Ultra, which are said to do NiMH
(and nicad and CZn, and alkaline) cells up to D cell size. How good is
it? Not really sure.

Dunno... did a quick google (very quick) but didn't come up with anything.

CY: I got the first one about 1999, and the second one near after that.
They might not be on the web, at present.

If it is sold on Amazon and "NLee the Engineer" has reviewed it, he
seems to totally geek out on this stuff and at the same time do pretty
decent reviews. I read his reviews a lot before realizing that there
was no one perfect charger, which is why I now have three :/ But I
would trust his opinion. Also there's a Dutch guy on CPF that posts
some good reviews too.

CY: Ja? Gut!

CY: Worth knowing. Sounds like a good idea to charge them up, before
relying on them. After the first charge up (or two?) they might be LDS?

Tenergy "Centura" which is what I bought is their LSD line, but as with
pretty much everything that's made in China these days I "trust but
verify."

CY: Yes, I've had plenty chinky junky.

[...]

CY: You da man!

But anyway, point was that I'd rather geek out on this stuff now rather
than ASSume that I know that the cells are going to be at 70-80%
capacity after a year in the drawer and be disappointed when I'm
counting on them in a critical situation. Makes life much less
stressful that way!

CY: And that moment is typically along the side of the road, when your
12 volt charger is home?

P.S. Nice to have intelligent conversation about batteries. And, I
haven't called you a moron or idiot, yet!

Give it time, give it time!

CY: Hey, all things in time.

The funny thing about this whole discussion is we wouldn't have been
having this more than a year ago; it's only within the last year that
I've given rechargeables a good honest try with good equipment (after
lots of OCD interweb research) now I feel somewhat knowledgeable about
the subject, but more importantly, I've actually had uniformly good
experiences with my purchases, as opposed to a few years ago when I
*didn't* do my research and just bought some stuff off the shelf of a
store, which didn't work very well. (Energizer brand, which I now know
went through a real bad spell with rechargeable NiMH and the charger I
got was probably timer based as well.)

CY: Hmm. I've tried a few different NiMH, and had varies results. Chinky
off Ebay were total disappointment. Rayovacs and Duracell from photo
dept of Walmart, have been OK. The Rayovac LDS were also good.

Now ask me again in another year if I'm as happy. I hope that I am.

nate

CY: Can't promise to remember.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Well, Gilligan, this thread is drifting.

I've found that NiMH cells from Ebay (bought for
great price) turn out to be low quality, don't
last long, and way over hyped as to mA capacity.

They don't last very long in any device, and
ended up, had to put most of them in the scrap.
The false economy led to no savings at all.
Just wasted money.

The Duracells from Walmart lasted a couple years,
and the Rayovacs, also. I still have the ROV, and
cycle the 24 of them through the charger every
month or so. For no really good reason.

I did buy a pack of ROV, LDS cells, which fail me
now and again. (Can't let anyone know I've been
dropping LSD batteries on the floor, my Bishop
would put me in drug rehab.)

I also tried Powergenix, which are a whole different
cell, and require their own charger. The higher
voltage of 1.7 is nice. Thy are damaged if they fall
below 1.1 volts, and I've had a lot of these fail
after a while. I may buy more, I'm down to just a
few. I like them in my computer speaker, louder than
the 1.2 volt NimH.

Glad I'm not buying single use alkalines for 75 cents
a cell. I'd be more broke than I already am.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Fri, 20 Sep 2013 20:20:37 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

[...]

I bought 2 dozen Enerloops with Panasonic labels on them earlier this
eyar. So far...all are working just fine.

I posted the link the the seller several times.
They were something like $0.75 each

Gunner

"The socialist movement takes great pains to circulate frequently new labels for its ideally constructed state.
Each worn-out label is replaced by another which raises hopes of an ultimate solution of the insoluble basic
problem of Socialism, until it becomes obvious that nothing has been changed but the name.
The most recent slogan is "State Capitalism."[Fascism] It is not commonly realized that this covers nothing more
than what used to be called Planned Economy and State Socialism, and that State Capitalism, Planned Economy,
and State Socialism diverge only in non-essentials from the "classic" ideal of egalitarian Socialism. - Ludwig von Mises (1922)
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Thanks for the reminder. Those, I think they are
same as the LDS (Low Self Discharge) batteries
Nate and I have been discussing. I think.

When the drug craze was going on, in the seventies,
I am fortunate, no one offered me LSD, and I still
don't like to type those letters. I wonder if
low self discharge batteries are acid? We have lead
acid, and SLA cells....

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/21/2013 1:50 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On 9/20/2013 4:45 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
snip

nate

http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Your site does not load for me
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Thanks for the reminder. Those, I think they are
same as the LDS (Low Self Discharge) batteries
Nate and I have been discussing. I think.

When the drug craze was going on, in the seventies,
I am fortunate, no one offered me LSD, and I still
don't like to type those letters.

That must be tough for a LSD, er, LDS member.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

I've been on LDS for twenty plus years.
Been a good trip, so far.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/21/2013 10:52 AM, rbowman wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:

When the drug craze was going on, in the seventies,
I am fortunate, no one offered me LSD, and I still
don't like to type those letters.

That must be tough for a LSD, er, LDS member.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 06:30:55 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Thanks for the reminder. Those, I think they are
same as the LDS (Low Self Discharge) batteries
Nate and I have been discussing. I think.

Yes...they are Low Self Dicharge batteries.

I have a mini mag sitting here on the desk that I charged in Febuary
that I use as a test...its still just as bright 7 months later as it
was when I took the batteries out of the charger.

I keep them in my Olympus C-4000 digital cameras. I take a lot of
photos and charge them about every 2-4 months. They last very well
and run at full power up till the last 2-3 photos. My truck camera has
180 flash photos on the memory card since the last time I charged
it...in June.

http://us.sanyo.com/eneloop/About-eneloop-Batteries

"The socialist movement takes great pains to circulate frequently new labels for its ideally constructed state.
Each worn-out label is replaced by another which raises hopes of an ultimate solution of the insoluble basic
problem of Socialism, until it becomes obvious that nothing has been changed but the name.
The most recent slogan is "State Capitalism."[Fascism] It is not commonly realized that this covers nothing more
than what used to be called Planned Economy and State Socialism, and that State Capitalism, Planned Economy,
and State Socialism diverge only in non-essentials from the "classic" ideal of egalitarian Socialism. - Ludwig von Mises (1922)
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 11:47:41 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

I've been on LDS for twenty plus years.

Humm.

You said you are in your 50s. That would put you in your 30s when you
joined up. You also said you came to Mormonism late in life (to meet
women). I'm not sure I'd call 30ish "late in life".
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 06:30:55 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 9/21/2013 1:50 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

I bought 2 dozen Enerloops with Panasonic labels on them earlier this
eyar. So far...all are working just fine.

I posted the link the the seller several times.
They were something like $0.75 each

Thanks for the reminder. Those, I think they are
same as the LDS (Low Self Discharge) batteries
Nate and I have been discussing. I think.

It's more correct to say LSD is the same as Enloops. As far as I know,
they were the first on the market. Enloop is the original brand name,
LSD is the generic name now that there are others. Kind of like all
copy machines are Xeroxes and all simple cameras were Kodaks.

Gunner is right. I have a couple dozen AA and AAA Enloops and they
have been flawless. First batch soon after they came out, second batch
perhaps a year ago.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

wrote:

When the drug craze was going on, in the seventies,
I am fortunate, no one offered me LSD, and I still
don't like to type those letters.

It's about personal responsibility I WAS offered all sorts of things
and said no thanks. I don't count on luck to keep my life orderly. We
seem to have opposite philosophies.

That's why I call you a flaming liberal - you count on the system and
chance to baby sit you.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Fun with batteries,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmgyk0U1Q4c
Buy enough of them go off the grid,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnEK1X_uOfE

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

This just in! Advertisement before your video. Says to be extra careful
with button or small flat batteries if you have children. The batteries
are easily swollowed, and are toxic.

http://www.energizer.com/special-pro...um-Safety.aspx

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/21/2013 7:53 PM, Fat-Dumb and Happy wrote:
Fun with batteries,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmgyk0U1Q4c
Buy enough of them go off the grid,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnEK1X_uOfE

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival

Default Bought more batteries / Dollar Store solar charger modified

Thank you for the links. They are good. I don't have
that level of soldering skill, but it sure opens up
good ideas. I do have friends who are much better than
I, and might enlist their aid. I can imagine that the
ability to charge small batteries from the sun, could
be a very good skill to have, if the main power grid
were down. As for me, I do have a solar charger. And
by the time I run out of primary cells, I've got other
problems like freezing to death in my trailer, or the
UN forcing me to resettlement camps like the old lady
in New Orleans. I don't wanna go!

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/21/2013 7:53 PM, Fat-Dumb and Happy wrote:
Fun with batteries,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmgyk0U1Q4c
Buy enough of them go off the grid,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnEK1X_uOfE

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, September 19, 2013 4:54:57 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Sigh. Rayovac sent me coupons, so I went and bought
more D cells. I figure when the world is off, I use
a bunch of those in fans, and flash lights. And
fluorescent room lights.

What would you have them do? Change their entire manufacturing process because a small number of customers (i.e. one) are having problems? Send you Duracells or Energizers?

Of course they're going to send you coupons to replace defective product with (hopefully) non-defective product... That's what companies do. It's the cheapest way out.

So when the world goes off, you're blown and lit... until you run out of batteries! Then what?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, September 22, 2013 9:04:49 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon blathered incoherently:
When I run out of batteries...(snipped with relish)

My advice is to drop your tidy whitey magic undies and kiss your ass good bye! ;^)

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'll print this off, laminate it and carry in
my wallet. Might be the best advice I've
gotten, all year.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/23/2013 8:31 AM, Bob_Villa wrote:
On Sunday, September 22, 2013 9:04:49 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon blathered incoherently:
When I run out of batteries...(snipped with relish)

My advice is to drop your tidy whitey magic undies and kiss your ass good bye! ;^)

Has anyone bought this yet? JB Jumpback Woodworking 35 January 22nd 09 02:58 PM
Bought a new toy brianlanning Woodworking 12 January 27th 06 03:16 PM
i should have bought a jvc mf5055 Electronics Repair 4 December 23rd 05 05:01 AM
I've just bought Mike Woodworking 16 February 22nd 05 05:40 AM
Bought a Jet Mini Colonel Andy Woodturning 1 May 11th 04 08:27 PM