Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting a popcorn ceiling

replying to larrymoencurly , JE (Elaine) Lawless wrote:
larrymoencurly wrote:

Keep in mind that once you paint a popcorn ceiling, it becomes a lot,
lot harder to remove later on. An unpainted popcorn ceiling can be
removed by just spraying it with water and scraping it off, one small
area at a time. Best home improvement I ever made.

WHY would you remove a popcorn ceiling unless it's ruined and there's no
choice.
Perhaps the fad of flat ceilings is most important to you.
Unpainted popcorn looks totally unfinished and impossible to clean in any
manner.
To each his own

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ng-533537-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 17:44:02 +0000, JE (Elaine) Lawless
wrote:

WHY would you remove a popcorn ceiling unless it's ruined and there's no
choice.

Asbestos? Possible up until the 1980's.

The stuff is ugly as sin.
Posted to alt.home.repair

larrymoencurly wrote:

Keep in mind that once you paint a popcorn ceiling, it becomes a lot,
lot harder to remove later on. An unpainted popcorn ceiling can be
removed by just spraying it with water and scraping it off, one small
area at a time. Best home improvement I ever made.

WHY would you remove a popcorn ceiling unless it's ruined and there's no
choice.

In my case, it didn't fit the style of the house. A split-fieldstone
house with a cove ceiling in the living room. Overall the house
looks a bit like an old English cottage.

Then some jackhole sprayed popcorn on the living room ceiling and
added glitter as a final "f--k you".

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

WHY would you remove a popcorn ceiling unless it's ruined and there's no
choice.

Asbestos? Possible up until the 1980's.

The stuff is ugly as sin.

You bet. Our agent was under orders to not bother showing us any
house with excessive wall paper (more than one room) or anything that
even looked like popcorn. Not going to happen - don't waste my time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

JE (Elaine) Lawless
larrymoencurly wrote:

Keep in mind that once you paint a popcorn ceiling, it becomes a lot,
lot harder to remove later on. An unpainted popcorn ceiling can be
removed by just spraying it with water and scraping it off, one small
area at a time. Best home improvement I ever made.

WHY would you remove a popcorn ceiling unless it's ruined and there's no
choice.
Perhaps the fad of flat ceilings is most important to you.
Unpainted popcorn looks totally unfinished and impossible to clean in any
manner.
To each his own

Good for room acoustics and a home theater room. Add Floor carpet, foam
wall treatments, bass traps.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to gregz , JE (Elaine) Lawless wrote:
zekor wrote:

Good for room acoustics and a home theater room. Add Floor carpet, foam
wall treatments, bass traps.

Glad you mentioned acoustics, Greg. Especially in a kitchen you don't
normally
have carpet or drapes to soften the noise...popcorn ceilings do help a bit.
Foam wall treatments (that's different) and bass traps ... now you've
either
lost me or you're trying to be funny, hard to tell.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ng-533537-.htm
using HomeOwnersHub's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface
to home and garden related groups

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/28/2013 10:45 AM, JE (Elaine) Lawless wrote:

Glad you mentioned acoustics, Greg. Especially in a kitchen you don't
normally
have carpet or drapes to soften the noise...popcorn ceilings do help a bit.

Yeah, acoustics are important, more important than the ability to clean
a ceiling in the room you cook in and collect the splatter of grease.
That was the first room we scraped that crap from before it got
disgusting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JE (Elaine) Lawless
zekor wrote:

Good for room acoustics and a home theater room. Add Floor carpet, foam
wall treatments, bass traps.

Glad you mentioned acoustics, Greg. Especially in a kitchen you don't
normally
have carpet or drapes to soften the noise...popcorn ceilings do help a bit.
Foam wall treatments (that's different) and bass traps ... now you've
either
lost me or you're trying to be funny, hard to tell.

Inch or two foam sheet, with decorative fabric cover, put on walls to
reduce reflections.

Bass trap, usually a large hunk of foam in the corners to absorb bass
frequencies, help balance sound.

Greg