Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home Depot Outdoor Stair Treads Vs. Plain 2 x 10

I have outdoor deck steps that need new treads. I though I would just
cut up some 2 x 10 (PT) and replace what is there. However, Home depot
sells a stair tread which is ridged or uneven (hard to describe). Any
benefit to using the HD treads or is 2 x 10 OK? Does the code require
something other than 2 x 10?
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 7/20/2013 1:23 PM, njoracle wrote:
I have outdoor deck steps that need new treads. I though I would just
cut up some 2 x 10 (PT) and replace what is there. However, Home depot
sells a stair tread which is ridged or uneven (hard to describe). Any
benefit to using the HD treads or is 2 x 10 OK? Does the code require
something other than 2 x 10?

Code only requires the height/width/overhang and evenness between steps
(1/8" iirc).

tubaten are ok as far as material if the deck surface is such it doesn't
make that last step too short (less height than rest owing to the added
thickness as compared to decking thickness) that becomes a trip/stumble
hazard (especially bad at the head of a flight of stairs).

Also the tread boards will have a round front edge that is conducive to
both looks and less of a toe-catch point that standard tubaX doesn't
have so ideally you will roundover that corner.

All in all, I think the actual tread is probably a good choice or use
the 5/4 decking boards and lay two instead of one. Outside that has
some advantage in it has a drainage path between the two as well as you
can leave a small gap at the rear there as well. It'll probably match
the deck better to minimize the above height differential. Do need the
roundover just as the 2x10 of course.

All in all, it's your choice w/ those points at least some to consider.
Probably find cleaner/nicer stock in either of the others than random
2x stuff, too, actually...

Stair treads GMM UK diy 14 April 19th 09 11:39 PM
Nail hole filler for painted, outdoor wooden stair treads? Simpson Home Repair 5 January 22nd 08 12:05 AM
Stair treads by T & G Arthur 51 UK diy 22 July 19th 07 06:55 PM
Oak stair treads - Help Please Tom H Woodworking 6 November 27th 05 12:41 PM
Stair Treads David Alexander Woodworking 8 March 9th 04 11:54 PM