Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Another Dreamliner burns

On Saturday, July 13, 2013 4:22:22 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Saturday, July 13, 2013 1:29:44 AM UTC-4, nestork wrote:

Boeing stock fell a whopping 6% as a result of the Heathrow fire. It's

becoming abundantly clear that there's something about lithium battery

technology that's new here and yet to be discovered.

It's abundantly clear that you're jumping to conclusions. Nothing

in any of the reports I've seen say this latest fire was related

to the lithium batteries. AFAIK, those batteries are not located

anywhere near the location of this new fire. Plus, they were

re-designed into a fireproof enclosure.

And, until it is,

Boeing 787's with their lithium batteries for auxialliary power are

going to be very very scary planes to own, and fly on.

High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email to buy additional rights. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/fd54e6d6-e...#ixzz2ZPdjhWYu

But as well as recommending the disabling of the transmitters on all Dreamliners, the AAIB said the FAA and other regulatory authorities should conduct a safety review of these devices where they are powered by lithium batteries.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/fd54e6d6-e...#axzz2ZPc6BfdB
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message news:5d4a1ca8-69e4-482f-8283-

stuff snipped - even though they told me not to!

But as well as recommending the disabling of the transmitters on all
Dreamliners, the AAIB said the FAA and other regulatory authorities should
conduct a safety review of these devices where they are powered by lithium
batteries.

Anyone else getting the feeling that lithium batteries aren't playing well
with modern aircraft and may not be "ready for prime time?" Who's in charge
of safety at the FAA?

"Well, we don't know WHY the batteries burned, we'll just box 'em up better
and vent the smoke and flames outside and pray the new containers don't
somehow pressurize and explode!" Sure it will be dangerous to fly a "fly by
wire" without backup power but it's been just too hard to figure out the
cause of the problem."

"Disconnect all the safety transponders for safety reasons." Kafka would be
proud!

Boeing's going to have to rename them "The Bad Dreams Liner."

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 20, 2013 1:44:21 AM UTC-4, Robert Green wrote:
wrote in message news:5d4a1ca8-69e4-482f-8283-

stuff snipped - even though they told me not to!

But as well as recommending the disabling of the transmitters on all

Dreamliners, the AAIB said the FAA and other regulatory authorities should

conduct a safety review of these devices where they are powered by lithium

batteries.

Anyone else getting the feeling that lithium batteries aren't playing well

with modern aircraft and may not be "ready for prime time?" Who's in charge

of safety at the FAA?

"Well, we don't know WHY the batteries burned, we'll just box 'em up better

and vent the smoke and flames outside and pray the new containers don't

somehow pressurize and explode!" Sure it will be dangerous to fly a "fly by

wire" without backup power but it's been just too hard to figure out the

cause of the problem."

As if the batteries were the only backup power source
available. These planes have two independent engines capable
of powering the essential flight controls, an APU, and
an air driven generator that drops out into the air stream
in the event it's necessary.

The most common source of commercial air disasters is human
error, not mechanical failure. Witness what just happened
in SF.

OT Another Dreamliner burns The Daring Dufas[_8_] Home Repair 5 July 19th 13 02:23 AM
DreamLiner and Li-ion Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 232 January 23rd 13 10:42 AM
My ass burns Doug Kanter Home Repair 0 September 16th 07 01:56 PM
My ass burns Doug Kanter Home Repair 0 September 15th 07 04:10 PM