Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pest control: how clean up tracking powder

A few years ago, the pest control company we use for our house decided to use "tracking powder". (They did that one visit only.)

Anyone have an idea how I can safely remove it? It'd be nice to just use a vacuum, but I'm worried that would spread the powder.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 08:19:24 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

It'd be nice to just use a vacuum, but I'm worried that would spread the powder.

What makes you think the powder is harmful?

If he used flour to track pests, there is harm to be done.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 12:06:33 -0400, Nate Nagel
wrote:

If your vacuum has a HEPA filter, it'll probably pick it up without
spreading it around.

I'm curious of the powder. Boric acid to kill insects is safe to
vacuum.

"Tracking" a mouse, it may be ordinary flour.

OP- sound off
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 16, 2013 1:02:36 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 12:06:33 -0400, Nate Nagel

snip
I'm curious of the powder. Boric acid to kill insects is safe to

snip

No, it's neither something inert like flour, nor something relatively less toxic like boric acid. It's one of those "superwarfarins", like most rodenticides.

They call it "tracking powder" because the stuff sticks to the rodent (hence "tracks" it, I guess), then the rodent later licks it off.

My gut feeling is the amounts present aren't that dangerous to humans, because we're so much larger than a mouse, but in principle the stuff is pretty nasty.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 16, 2013 10:19:24 AM UTC-5, wrote:
A few years ago, the pest control company we use for our house decided to use "tracking powder". (They did that one visit only.) Anyone have an idea how I can safely remove it? It'd be nice to just use a vacuum, but I'm worried that would spread the powder.

I would try wet-mopping it with a disposable mop head, or just some rags on a stick.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Contrary to what most of these replies stated, tracking powered can indeed be harmful. At least one type (ZP tracking powder) contains phosphine which is released as phosphine gas when it hits water or acid (in a stomach or mouth). It is not intended to track where rodents go, but for them to track through it and then ingest it during grooming.

Pest Control Dottie Home Repair 6 August 20th 12 04:19 PM
pest control skeeter[_4_] Home Repair 8 February 14th 10 03:52 AM
Pest control? John Carlyle-Clarke[_2_] UK diy 4 December 10th 07 10:32 PM
Pest Control Dottie Home Repair 3 February 9th 07 08:57 PM
pest control Antony Gelberg UK diy 5 April 21st 05 07:08 PM