Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why is Champion Mortgage of Lansing MI Terrorizing The ElderlyWith Unwarrented Threats?

YOUR BEST BET IS TO FILE A COMPLAINT WITH THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU AND IF MICHIGAN HAS ONE, THEN THE MICHIGAN BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU.
Reverse mortgages are a scary thing especially for the elderly who don't know they have to follow up on certain documents such as the Occupancy Verification (my mother has dementia and she opened the mail and put it aside - luckily I found it and sent it in). If this form is not completed, then they can take your house away! Very scary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On Tuesday, December 18, 2012 6:00:21 PM UTC-8, Nomen Nescio wrote:
Sorry if this is the wrong newsgroup but I'm at the end of my rope.

Why is Champion Mortgage, based out of Lansing, phoning elderly

persons who have a reverse mortgage and terrorizing them by

ignoring the tax documents

sent to them by the town where the elderly person lives which

show the taxes have been paid? The persons on the phone with

Champion seem to be some uneducated girls who claim that the

town documents don't count "we go by what the county tells us"?

The county has been contacted and they say they have nothing

to do with assessing taxes, they just list a base amount based

on what the town tells them which doesn't include any abatements

or deferrals.

These people are impossible to talk to on the phone, the people

on the phone are not lawyers or professionals. How do they get

away with doing this and does anyone know how to fight them?

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
[...]

I know there are laws that Collection Agenices are required to abide by, but whether or not those same laws would extend to anyone who has a financial interest in a property, I don't know.

Certainly the case can be made that telling an elderly person that their property taxes haven't been paid would be upsetting to them since they would suspect that whomever they gave their property tax cheque to simply absconded with their money.

I would phone any place listed under Credit or Collections in your yellow pages and find out whether the same laws that protect debtors from undue harrassment by collection agencies also apply to Financial institutions like Mortgage Companies. If they don't, then there should be some branch of the US government that's the equivalent of the Canadian "Consumer & Corporate Affairs". If your mother obtained money through a reverse mortgage then she is a consumer of a service provided by that mortgage company, and has rights just like any other consumer. The US equivalent of the Department of Consumer and Corporate Affairs would be able to let you know what those rights are.
Posted to alt.home.repair

All States don't collect tax same way some places county collect tax like
California
in New Jersey Town you leave in collect the tax. I would demand letter from
you local tax collector to write statement on the head letter with you town
official stamp and if they do not accept that tell to go to hell. It is
their problem to get educated!!!