Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Telephone wire

I resemble that remark.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
wrote in message ...

No danger of EVER having Stormy accused
of being "not twisted enough", is there????/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 10, 2013 1:43:52 PM UTC-4, net cop wrote:
micky writes:

On Wed, 10 Jul 2013 10:08:28 -0400, Dan Espen

wrote:

Trisha writes:

On 7/9/2013 9:18 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

I'm not using the line for data and the voice quality sounds fine.

Is the wire you bought flat like this?

http://www.truevalue.com/product/Pho...ord#activeTab0

Nope, round, like this:

http://tinyurl.com/pholnq8

But it came in a flat pack and doesn't have printing on the wire.

Not even embossed, maybe seeable when you hold it up to the light at

different angles?

Nope, it's up in the attic, I was using a flashlight to look.

This thread is getting so many replies I'm tempted to take a trip

down to the hardware store to check, but I did buy the last one in the

store. No guarantee that they'll restock with the same stuff.

--

Dan Espen

You're nicking it as you cut off the insulation. It's probably pretty cheap copper but it'll handle getting bent around the screw post once if you don't nick it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

WW Grainger carry all kind of wire
Refrigeration suppliers carry Thermostat wire which is even better.

wrote in message
On Tuesday, July 9, 2013 10:27:53 AM UTC-7, net cop wrote:
I just had occasion to put in a new telephone outlet.

I went down to Tru-Value and bought 50 ft of wire.

I didn't have any choices, I got the last one in the store.

My first problem was that I cut off about 4 inches of the plastic wrap

around the wires and only found 3 conductors. After being a bit

mystified for a few hours, I discovered that one of the wires didn't

reach the end of the cable. Cut off another 4 inches and there was the

forth wire.

The thing that really surprised me though is how thin the wires were.

I had real problems working with the hair thin wire. If I bent the wire

more than once, the wire just broke right off. I couple of times I

cut the insulation off, went to pull the plastic off, and the whole

wire just broke off. I bent one wire around a terminal and the bend

wasn't quite right so I bent it again. Wire snapped right off on the

second bend.

Next time I want to work with telephone cable, I'm going to do some

searches and hopefully find something with a heavier conductor.

Just commenting, I know copper has gone up in price but this stuff

was ridiculous.

--

Dan Espen

Was it made in China?