Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Grease gun wont work

My (hand operated) grease gun was working fine until it ran out of
grease. I put in a new grease cartridge and now it refuses to work. I
pumped it darn near 100 times, pumped that spring loaded shaft that goes
into the cylinder (where the grease goes), and banged the top of it
against a board to work the grease to the top. I did get out the last
tiny amount that was in the tip, and I can hear it pump out air, but no
grease. Is the gun dead, or is there some trick to it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 05 Jul 2013 21:56:16 -0600, Tony Hwang

My (hand operated) grease gun was working fine until it ran out of
grease. I put in a new grease cartridge and now it refuses to work. I
pumped it darn near 100 times, pumped that spring loaded shaft that goes
into the cylinder (where the grease goes), and banged the top of it
against a board to work the grease to the top. I did get out the last
tiny amount that was in the tip, and I can hear it pump out air, but no
grease. Is the gun dead, or is there some trick to it?

Hi,
I am sure you open the cartridge?

remove the "chuck" from the end of the gun and force some grease
through the pump. Once it is primed it will pump again, but it's hard
to prime with a snout full of air under pressure.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Friday, July 5, 2013 9:21:18 PM UTC-6, wrote:
My (hand operated) grease gun was working fine until it ran out of

grease. I put in a new grease cartridge and now it refuses to work. I

pumped it darn near 100 times, pumped that spring loaded shaft that goes

into the cylinder (where the grease goes), and banged the top of it

against a board to work the grease to the top. I did get out the last

tiny amount that was in the tip, and I can hear it pump out air, but no

grease. Is the gun dead, or is there some trick to it?

Get your neighbor to show you how...or just chuck it and get another one.
I'm sure this is just another nuisance posting as you don't have to
be a rocket scientist to change a grease cartridge and get it to work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've had that same problem, but many years ago. I saw your post a couple days ago, and been thinking, try and remember what I did to restart the grease. Probably the same things you did. I think the suggestion to remove the tip and pump some more makes sense. The problem sounds like you've got air in the pump, instead of grease. I also put a ring on the T handle end of my grease gun, so I can hang it, end up, and the grease should settle into the pump by gravity. Slowly, glacial slow.

Did you ever get the grease gun restarted? BTW, if the magazine capacity is over 7 ounces, might not be legal in your state of residence. If you get caught at a traffic stop or something, you could go to Mechanics Prison. Is it semi automatic, or fully automatic action?
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org