Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Courtesy light stays on

(I posted this in the "auto repair" Google Group forum but haven't gotten any responses yet so I'm posting this here, too).

==========

I have a 2004 Chevrolet Impala.

When I close the car doors, the courtesy light above the right rear door stays on. How can I fix this? Note: All the other courtesy lights go out after about 25 seconds).

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/29/2013 2:32 PM, gary wrote:
(I posted this in the "auto repair" Google Group forum but haven't
gotten any responses yet so I'm posting this here, too).

==========

I have a 2004 Chevrolet Impala.

When I close the car doors, the courtesy light above the right rear
door stays on. How can I fix this? Note: All the other courtesy
lights go out after about 25 seconds).

Thanks

My roommates Chevy Venture van was having electrical problems caused by
water getting into the wiring harnesses that run along the floor
channels right inside of the door sills covered by plastic covers and
carpet. It could be shorted to ground or to a hot wire depending on the
circuit design. For some odd reason, the manufacturer wrapped the darn
connections with a cloth type tape instead of heat shrink tubing. O_o

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, June 29, 2013 3:32:08 PM UTC-4, gary wrote:
(I posted this in the "auto repair" Google Group forum but haven't gotten any responses yet so I'm posting this here, too).

==========

I have a 2004 Chevrolet Impala.

When I close the car doors, the courtesy light above the right rear door stays on. How can I fix this? Note: All the other courtesy lights go out after about 25 seconds).

Thanks

try checking he right door switch it may be bad

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 12:32:08 -0700 (PDT), gary
wrote:

(I posted this in the "auto repair" Google Group forum but haven't gotten any responses yet so I'm posting this here, too).

==========

I have a 2004 Chevrolet Impala.

When I close the car doors, the courtesy light above the right rear door stays on. How can I fix this? Note: All the other courtesy lights go out after about 25 seconds).

So it stays on forever, and runs your battery down overnight?

You've had to remove the bulb?

When you put the bulb back, it goes on immediately, even if all the
doors are closed?

Or it doesn't go on until you open a door?

The light above the left rear door and other courtesy lights go on
when any door is opened?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

"gary" wrote in message

(I posted this in the "auto repair" Google Group forum but haven't gotten
any responses yet so I'm posting this here, too).

==========

I have a 2004 Chevrolet Impala.

When I close the car doors, the courtesy light above the right rear door
stays on. How can I fix this? Note: All the other courtesy lights go out
after about 25 seconds).

Thanks

If it is like our Caravan, there is a switch on the lights right and left
rear doors that have a switch on them. Switch on, light stays on. switch off
only lights when door is opened and shuts off in about 30 seconds when door
is closed. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

gary wrote:
(I posted this in the "auto repair" Google Group forum but haven't gotten any responses yet so I'm posting this here, too).

==========

I have a 2004 Chevrolet Impala.

When I close the car doors, the courtesy light above the right rear door stays on. How can I fix this? Note: All the other courtesy lights go out after about 25 seconds).

Thanks

Hi,
No 3 position switch for the lamp like On-Off-Auto if it is in On
position by accident?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I hope you don't think this is a google group. It's a Usenet list.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"gary" wrote in message ...
(I posted this in the "auto repair" Google Group forum but haven't gotten any responses yet so I'm posting this here, too).

==========

I have a 2004 Chevrolet Impala.

When I close the car doors, the courtesy light above the right rear door stays on. How can I fix this? Note: All the other courtesy lights go out after about 25 seconds).

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

To: Stormin Mormon:

The URL is:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...t.home.repair/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 14:50:47 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 6/29/2013 2:32 PM, gary wrote:
(I posted this in the "auto repair" Google Group forum but haven't
gotten any responses yet so I'm posting this here, too).

==========

I have a 2004 Chevrolet Impala.

When I close the car doors, the courtesy light above the right rear
door stays on. How can I fix this? Note: All the other courtesy
lights go out after about 25 seconds).

Thanks

My roommates Chevy Venture van was having electrical problems caused by
water getting into the wiring harnesses that run along the floor
channels right inside of the door sills covered by plastic covers and
carpet. It could be shorted to ground or to a hot wire depending on the
circuit design. For some odd reason, the manufacturer wrapped the darn
connections with a cloth type tape instead of heat shrink tubing. O_o

TDD

How about checking the switch position on the courtesy lamp itself?
Some DO have switches - with an on/off/door selection, or a simple
on/door selection..

The lamp has power at all times and is grounded by the jam switch or
exit delay circuit when the door is opened - or grounded by the "on"
switch. If a wire was shoirted to ground all of the courtesy lights
should stay on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 17:26:53 -0700 (PDT), gary
wrote:

To: Stormin Mormon:

The URL is:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...t.home.repair/

No matter what google claims, this is Usenet.

alt.home.repair is a Usenet name, referring to a Usenet group, that
google is copying and piggybacking on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 14:42:12 -0600, "WW"
wrote:

"gary" wrote in message

(I posted this in the "auto repair" Google Group forum but haven't gotten
any responses yet so I'm posting this here, too).

==========

I have a 2004 Chevrolet Impala.

When I close the car doors, the courtesy light above the right rear door
stays on. How can I fix this? Note: All the other courtesy lights go out
after about 25 seconds).

Thanks

If it is like our Caravan, there is a switch on the lights right and left
rear doors that have a switch on them. Switch on, light stays on. switch off
only lights when door is opened and shuts off in about 30 seconds when door
is closed. WW

I think you've got it. In my defense, i drive a convertible, so it
has very few courtesy lights. I guess I'm supposed to use the moon,
even when the top is up.

(My Toyota has a light behind the right hand door, next to the rear
seat, that is on whenever either door is open. No way to turn it
off. That stinks.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote in
:

wrote:

To: Stormin Mormon:

The URL is:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...t.home.repair/

No matter what google claims, this is Usenet.

alt.home.repair is a Usenet name, referring to a Usenet group, that
google is copying and piggybacking on.

Google serves as a "front end" to Usenet, like homeownershub and a number
of other sites.

When you "post" to Google Groups, Google just forwards your message to
their own NNTP server, and the message propagates to Usenet just like it
would had you posted to your own NNTP server directly.

The difference is that when you post through Google, Google gets to collect
information about you and feed you ads on the same page as the NNTP
content. Actual NNTP is ad-free.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

Doesn't change the fact that I'm using, writing on, and reading a Usenet forum. If Google Groups pirates and provides a portal, that doesn't change anything.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"gary" wrote in message ...
To: Stormin Mormon:

The URL is:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...t.home.repair/

Posted to alt.home.repair

gary wrote in
:

(I posted this in the "auto repair" Google Group forum

You mean the Usenet forum that Google likes to pretend is their own.

There is no one "auto repair" group, but there are several that are
concerned with auto repair, some of them brand-specific. Try posting to
rec.autos.tech; it's still fairly active. Alt.autos.gm is also still pretty
active.

And if you want to escape Google's jail and experience Usenet as it was
meant to be, try Usenet directly through someplace like Eternal September.

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/29/2013 03:32 PM, gary wrote:
(I posted this in the "auto repair" Google Group forum but haven't
gotten any responses yet so I'm posting this here, too).

==========

I have a 2004 Chevrolet Impala.

When I close the car doors, the courtesy light above the right rear
door stays on. How can I fix this? Note: All the other courtesy
lights go out after about 25 seconds).

Thanks

not sure if the lights in that work traditionally or if it's all
multiplexed and intelligent now... but the first thing that I would
check would be to pull the light in question down and see if there is a
chafed wire anywhere near it. The old school way to turn the lights on
is through a switched ground; it seems odd that they all don't turn on
though.

nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 12:23:13 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

micky wrote in
:

wrote:

To: Stormin Mormon:

The URL is:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...t.home.repair/

No matter what google claims, this is Usenet.

alt.home.repair is a Usenet name, referring to a Usenet group, that
google is copying and piggybacking on.

Google serves as a "front end" to Usenet, like homeownershub and a number
of other sites.

When you "post" to Google Groups, Google just forwards your message to
their own NNTP server, and the message propagates to Usenet just like it
would had you posted to your own NNTP server directly.

The difference is that when you post through Google, Google gets to collect
information about you and feed you ads on the same page as the NNTP
content. Actual NNTP is ad-free.

Another difference is that when people using google reply to a post of
mine, the attribution line doesn't call me Micky. It refers to me by
the name I used when I signed up for google. I'm sure that's
confusing to others and I find it annoying. I want my Usenet
identity used all the time, and not have google interfering.

(Of course that's nothing compared to how it wants to interfere in my
Android phone. By careful work, I found out how to back up my
internal phone book without letting google know what is in it.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 12:30:40 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

gary wrote in
:

(I posted this in the "auto repair" Google Group forum

You mean the Usenet forum that Google likes to pretend is their own.

There is no one "auto repair" group, but there are several that are
concerned with auto repair, some of them brand-specific. Try posting to
rec.autos.tech; it's still fairly active. Alt.autos.gm is also still pretty
active.

And if you want to escape Google's jail and experience Usenet as it was
meant to be, try Usenet directly through someplace like Eternal September.

Plus he needs a reader. If he's using a PC, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey,
and Internet Explorer have free newsreaders. Agent costs something,
but it has more versatility than any of the 3.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 13:15:11 -0400, micky
wrote:

On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 12:30:40 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

gary wrote in
:

(I posted this in the "auto repair" Google Group forum

You mean the Usenet forum that Google likes to pretend is their own.

There is no one "auto repair" group, but there are several that are
concerned with auto repair, some of them brand-specific. Try posting to
rec.autos.tech; it's still fairly active. Alt.autos.gm is also still pretty
active.

And if you want to escape Google's jail and experience Usenet as it was
meant to be, try Usenet directly through someplace like Eternal September.

Plus he needs a reader. If he's using a PC, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey,
and Internet Explorer have free newsreaders. Agent costs something,
but it has more versatility than any of the 3.

What about free agent?
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote in
:

Plus he needs a reader. If he's using a PC, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey,
and Internet Explorer have free newsreaders. Agent costs something,
but it has more versatility than any of the 3.

I prefer XNews. Tried others, but keep going back to XNews.

XNews is free.

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 12:30:40 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

gary wrote in
:

(I posted this in the "auto repair" Google Group forum

You mean the Usenet forum that Google likes to pretend is their own.

There is no one "auto repair" group, but there are several that are
concerned with auto repair, some of them brand-specific. Try posting to
rec.autos.tech; it's still fairly active. Alt.autos.gm is also still pretty
active.

And if you want to escape Google's jail and experience Usenet as it was
meant to be, try Usenet directly through someplace like Eternal September.

Plus he needs a reader. If he's using a PC, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey,
and Internet Explorer have free newsreaders. Agent costs something,
but it has more versatility than any of the 3.

Just as an FYI...there are times when using a reader is not possible. I
have to use Google Groups at work because we can not install any software
on our corporate imaged machines.

I have a reader on my iPad and on my home PC, but at work I am forced to
use GG.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Solved!
Posted to alt.home.repair

gary wrote:
Solved!

Gee, thanks for the detailed explanation of the cause.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The moment I saw that you;''d replied, I realized I meant Outlook
Express, not IE. Sorry.

What about Outlook?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 1 Jul 2013 02:08:15 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

gary wrote:
Solved!

Gee, thanks for the detailed explanation of the cause.

Yeah, it showed real gratitude for the effort we put into this.
Posted to alt.home.repair

gary wrote in news:370144af-fa8d-4f9a-878d-
:

Solved!

Don't tell anybody how it got solved.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 1 Jul 2013 13:24:54 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

gary wrote in news:370144af-fa8d-4f9a-878d-
:

Solved!

Don't tell anybody how it got solved.

Kinda reminds me of when a guy posted to alt.autos.gm about his Regal
stranding him with odd start/stall symptoms.
Just so happened a workmate of mine had the exact same issue the week
before, with his Bonneville of the same year.
Both 3800 super-charged. His mechanic couldn't figure it out and had
it towed to a dealer, who fixed it right away. It was some obscure
resistor controlling the fuel pump.
I posted that, and said I'd ask my workmate to look at his receipt to
see what the dealer had fixed - to be sure
But I was off sick the next day.
So the Regal guy was impatient and emailed me. Then it was all email.
It was the resistor and the Regal guy jumped it until he could get the
new one.
A bit later I got to thinking that the info didn't get where it
belonged and where it all started - the public.
So I posted it all to alt.autos.gm, removing the guy's email addy.
Always makes me feel good to puff up and help. And I've found
solutions to my own problems in the newsgroups too.
Maybe Gary will post the solution, maybe not.
I've got a 2003 Impala, so it might come in handy for me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

There's a forum that I hang out in, answering questions on a specific piece of software. I'm not the only one answering questions and often there will be more than one suggestion. Sometimes they will all work, sometimes only one fits the specifc situation. Usually it's only the OP that can determine what's best via their own testing. Under the best of situations, the OP comes back tells us the final outcome.

Under the worst of situations we'll see multiple suggestions, some which are very different from the others, and the OP will come back with a single line:

"Thanks! That worked!"

Since the forum does not automatically quote previous posts or show which post the OP responded to, we have no idea what "worked".

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

gary wrote:
Solved!

Gee, thanks for the detailed explanation of the cause.

I think he posted yesterday that the off/doors/on switch for that
light was on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

gary wrote:
Solved!

Hi,
Typical human nature. How about sharing the solution for other's
benefit. That is the spirit of NG. Not really?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

gary wrote:

Solved!

Gee, thanks for the detailed explanation of the cause.

I think he posted yesterday that the off/doors/on switch for that

light was on.

I'm not seeing that post.

I see his OP, I see a response to SM related to Google Groups and I see his "Solved!" post.

Since others have commented on his lack of detail also, it appears that either the post you "think" happened didn't make it to a.h.r or it never happened.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

gary wrote:

Solved!

Gee, thanks for the detailed explanation of the cause.

I think he posted yesterday that the off/doors/on switch for that

light was on.

I don't think so.

I'm not seeing that post.

I think someone suggested that was the problem, but the OP never said
what the problem was or what the solution was. Only the symptoms.
Thanks a lot, Gary.

P&M

I see his OP, I see a response to SM related to Google Groups and I see his "Solved!" post.

Since others have commented on his lack of detail also, it appears that either the post you "think" happened didn't make it to a.h.r or it never happened.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
gary wrote:
Solved!

Gee, thanks for the detailed explanation of the cause.

Sorry, I found a used condom stuck in the switch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm not seeing that post.

I see his OP, I see a response to SM related to Google Groups and I see his "Solved!" post.

Since others have commented on his lack of detail also, it appears that either the post you "think" happened didn't make it to a.h.r or it never happened.

Maybe it was such a simple thing he was embarrassed to post it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
gary wrote:
Solved!

Hi,
Typical human nature. How about sharing the solution for other's benefit.
That is the spirit of NG. Not really?

Usenet is usually pretty good. When I search for answers on the Internet,
and usenet archives, I'm often frustrated answers are not always given,
especially when the problem is in the subject title, and easily searchable.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

The "solution" arose from the posts by "The Darling Dufas", "WW" and "Tony Hwang" Thanks, guys!!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, June 30, 2013 8:23:13 AM UTC-4, Tegger wrote:
micky wrote in

:

wrote:

To: Stormin Mormon:

The URL is:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...t.home.repair/

No matter what google claims, this is Usenet.

alt.home.repair is a Usenet name, referring to a Usenet group, that

google is copying and piggybacking on.

Google serves as a "front end" to Usenet, like homeownershub and a number

of other sites.

When you "post" to Google Groups, Google just forwards your message to

their own NNTP server, and the message propagates to Usenet just like it

would had you posted to your own NNTP server directly.

The difference is that when you post through Google, Google gets to collect

information about you and feed you ads on the same page as the NNTP

content. Actual NNTP is ad-free.

--

Tegger

I use GG and there is no ad content when using it. Just
a page of newsgroup access.
Posted to alt.home.repair

For simple minded folks, please tell us what that might be.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
The "solution" arose from the posts by "The Darling Dufas", "WW" and "Tony Hwang" Thanks, guys!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 1 Jul 2013 22:36:59 -0700 (PDT), gary
wrote:

The "solution" arose from the posts by "The Darling Dufas", "WW" and "Tony Hwang" Thanks, guys!!!!

Yes, thanking them was something you should have done also, but you
needn't make the rest of us hunt for their posts to find out what the
solution was. In a 39 post thread its's hard enough for me to do t
hat, but even harder for those not using an off-line reader.

And the Dufas says something different from the other two, so we still
don't know the answer.

Thanks for nothing.

P&M