Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

Default A new Pew Research Center survey of 38,000 Muslims around the globe

As is currently being discussed on CBC radio 1 this morning (as I type
this):

The World’s Muslims: Religion, Politics and Society

A new Pew Research Center survey of Muslims around the globe finds
that most adherents of the world’s second-largest religion are
deeply committed to their faith and want its teachings to shape
not only their personal lives but also their societies and politics.

http://www.pewforum.org/Muslim/the-w...iety-exec.aspx

So you want to know what moozlems around the world really think?

Then read the following:

======================================

In all but a handful of the 39 countries surveyed, a majority of Muslims
say that Islam is the one true faith leading to eternal life in heaven
and that belief in God is necessary to be a moral person. Many also
think that their religious leaders should have at least some influence
over political matters. And many express a desire for sharia –
traditional Islamic law – to be recognized as the official law of their
country.

The percentage of Muslims who say they want sharia to be “the official
law of the land” varies widely around the world, from fewer than
one-in-ten in Azerbaijan (8%) to near unanimity in Afghanistan (99%).
But solid majorities in most of the countries surveyed across the Middle
East and North Africa, sub-Saharan Africa, South Asia and Southeast Asia
favor the establishment of sharia, including 71% of Muslims in Nigeria,
72% in Indonesia, 74% in Egypt and 89% in the Palestinian territories.

At the same time, the survey finds that even in many countries where
there is strong backing for sharia, most Muslims favor religious freedom
for people of other faiths. In Pakistan, for example, three-quarters of
Muslims say that non-Muslims are very free to practice their religion,
and fully 96% of those who share this assessment say it is “a good
thing.” Yet 84% of Pakistani Muslims favor enshrining sharia as official
law. These seemingly divergent views are possible partly because most
supporters of sharia in Pakistan – as in many other countries – think
Islamic law should apply only to Muslims. Moreover, Muslims around the
globe have differing understandings of what sharia means in practice.

The survey – which involved more than 38,000 face-to-face interviews in
80-plus languages with Muslims across Europe, Asia, the Middle East and
Africa – shows that Muslims tend to be most comfortable with using
sharia in the domestic sphere, to settle family or property disputes. In
most countries surveyed, there is considerably less support for severe
punishments, such as cutting off the hands of thieves or executing
people who convert from Islam to another faith. And even in the domestic
sphere, Muslims differ widely on such questions as whether polygamy,
divorce and family planning are morally acceptable and whether daughters
should be able to receive the same inheritance as sons.

In most countries surveyed, majorities of Muslim women as well as men
agree that a wife is always obliged to obey her husband. Indeed, more
than nine-in-ten Muslims in Iraq (92%), Morocco (92%), Tunisia (93%),
Indonesia (93%), Afghanistan (94%) and Malaysia (96%) express this view.
At the same time, majorities in many countries surveyed say a woman
should be able to decide for herself whether to wear a veil.

Overall, the survey finds that most Muslims see no inherent tension
between being religiously devout and living in a modern society. Nor do
they see any conflict between religion and science. Many favor democracy
over authoritarian rule, believe that humans and other living things
have evolved over time and say they personally enjoy Western movies,
music and television – even though most think Western popular culture
undermines public morality.

The new survey also allows some comparisons with prior Pew Research
Center surveys of Muslims in the United States. Like most Muslims
worldwide, U.S. Muslims generally express strong commitment to their
faith and tend not to see an inherent conflict between being devout and
living in a modern society. But American Muslims are much more likely
than Muslims in other countries to have close friends who do not share
their faith, and they are much more open to the idea that many religions
– not only Islam – can lead to eternal life in heaven. At the same time,
U.S. Muslims are less inclined than their co-religionists around the
globe to believe in evolution; on this subject, they are closer to U.S.
Christians.

Few U.S. Muslims voice support for suicide bombing or other forms of
violence against civilians in the name of Islam; 81% say such acts are
never justified, while fewer than one-in-ten say violence against
civilians either is often justified (1%) or is sometimes justified (7%)
to defend Islam. Around the world, most Muslims also reject suicide
bombing and other attacks against civilians. However, substantial
minorities in several countries say such acts of violence are at least
sometimes justified, including 26% of Muslims in Bangladesh, 29% in
Egypt, 39% in Afghanistan and 40% in the Palestinian territories.

These are among the key findings of a worldwide survey by the Pew
Research Center’s Forum on Religion & Public Life. The survey was
conducted in two waves. Fifteen sub-Saharan African countries with
substantial Muslim populations were surveyed in 2008-2009, and some of
those results previously were analyzed in the Pew Research Center’s 2010
report “Tolerance and Tension: Islam and Christianity in Sub-Saharan
Africa.” An additional 24 countries in Europe, Asia, the Middle East and
Africa were surveyed in 2011-2012; results regarding religious beliefs
and practices were first published in the Pew Research Center’s 2012
report “The World’s Muslims: Unity and Diversity.” The current report
focuses on Muslims’ social and political attitudes, and it incorporates
findings from both waves of the survey.

Other key findings include:

* At least half of Muslims in most countries surveyed say they are
concerned about religious extremist groups in their country, including
two-thirds or more of Muslims in Egypt (67%), Tunisia (67%), Iraq (68%),
Guinea Bissau (72%) and Indonesia (78%). On balance, more are worried
about Islamic extremists than about Christian extremists.

* Muslims around the world overwhelmingly view certain behaviors –
including prostitution, homosexuality, suicide, abortion, euthanasia and
consumption of alcohol – as immoral. But attitudes toward polygamy,
divorce and birth control are more varied. For example, polygamy is seen
as morally acceptable by just 4% of Muslims in Bosnia-Herzegovina and
Azerbaijan; about half of Muslims in the Palestinian territories (48%)
and Malaysia (49%); and the vast majority of Muslims in several
countries in sub-Saharan Africa, such as Senegal (86%) and Niger (87%).

* In most countries where a question about so-called “honor”
killings was asked, majorities of Muslims say such killings are never
justified. Only in two countries – Afghanistan and Iraq – do majorities
condone extra-judicial executions of women who allegedly have shamed
their families by engaging in premarital sex or adultery.

* Relatively few Muslims say that tensions between more religiously
observant and less observant Muslims are a very big problem in their
country. In most countries where the question was asked, Muslims also
see little tension between members of Islam’s two major sects, Sunnis
and Shias – though a third or more of Muslims in Pakistan (34%) and
Lebanon (38%) consider Sunni-Shia conflict to be a very big problem.

* Muslims in sub-Saharan Africa are more likely than Muslims
surveyed in other regions to say they attend interfaith meetings and are
knowledgeable about other faiths. But substantial percentages of Muslims
in sub-Saharan Africa also perceive hostility between Muslims and
Christians. In Guinea-Bissau, for example, 41% of Muslims say “most” or
“many” Christians are hostile toward Muslims, and 49% say “most” or
“many” Muslims are hostile toward Christians.

* In half of the countries where the question was asked, majorities
of Muslims want religious leaders to have at least “some influence” in
political matters, and sizable minorities in Asia, the Middle East and
North Africa think religious leaders should have a lot of political
influence. For example, 37% of Muslims in Jordan, 41% in Malaysia and
53% in Afghanistan say religious leaders should play a “large” role in
politics.

* Support for making sharia the official law of the land tends to be
higher in countries like Pakistan (84%) and Morocco (83%) where the
constitution or basic laws favor Islam over other religions.

* In many countries, Muslims who pray several times a day are more
likely to support making sharia official law than are Muslims who pray
less frequently. In Russia, Lebanon, the Palestinian territories and
Tunisia, for example, Muslims who pray several times a day are at least
25 percentage points more supportive of enshrining sharia than are less
observant Muslims. Generally, however, there is little difference in
support for sharia by age, gender or education.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

On 6/23/2013 8:50 AM, Home Guy wrote:
As is currently being discussed on CBC radio 1 this morning (as I type
this):

The World’s Muslims: Religion, Politics and Society

SILENCE!! I KEEL YOU!!! _

Mohamed TDD

Senior Member

Seriously, how many people in here are going to read all that before nodding off and falling asleep in front of their computer?

I'm just gonna assume I read it all, and it says that muslims want to kill me by hacking my head off with a simitar while I sleep.

And, I wish them muslims all the best as well. After all, they're not killing me because they hate me, they're killing me because they're involved in a Jihad, which is a holy war, and it's their religious obligation to kill me. Otherwise, we'd be the best of friends. So, it's nothing personal, it's just the business of holy war that requires that they kill me.

Last edited by nestork : June 23rd 13 at 07:02 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/23/2013 1:00 PM, nestork wrote:
Seriously, how many people in here are going to read all that before
nodding off and falling asleep in front of their computer?

I'm just gonna assume I read it all, and it says that muslims want to
kill me by hacking my head off with a simitar while I sleep.

And, I wish them muslims all the best as well. After all, they're not
killing me because they hate me, they're killing me because they're
involved in a Jihad, which is a holy war, and it's their religious
obligation to kill me. Otherwise, we'd be the best of friends. So,
it's nothing personal, it's just the business of holy war that requires
that they kill me.

I have no idea what the frack they're saying anyway. Malahg erkl mugah
yadda buca. SILENCE INFIDEL!!! I KEEL YOU!!! _

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 20:00:15 +0200, nestork
wrote:

And, I wish them muslims all the best as well. After all, they're not
killing me because they hate me, they're killing me because they're
involved in a Jihad, which is a holy war, and it's their religious
obligation to kill me.

I dip my bullets in pork fat

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Oren belched:
wrote:

And, I wish them muslims all the best as well. After all, they're
not killing me because they hate me, they're killing me because
they're involved in a Jihad, which is a holy war, and it's their
religious obligation to kill me.

I dip my bullets in pork fat

now you don't have to

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2013...speed=noscript

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 17:20:32 -0500, "ChairMan"
wrote:

In ,
Oren belched:
wrote:

And, I wish them muslims all the best as well. After all, they're
not killing me because they hate me, they're killing me because
they're involved in a Jihad, which is a holy war, and it's their
religious obligation to kill me.

I dip my bullets in pork fat

now you don't have to

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2013...speed=noscript

Wow. Those have ".. two layers of pork deterrent".
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Oren belched:
On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 17:20:32 -0500, "ChairMan"
wrote:

In ,
Oren belched:
wrote:

And, I wish them muslims all the best as well. After all, they're
not killing me because they hate me, they're killing me because
they're involved in a Jihad, which is a holy war, and it's their
religious obligation to kill me.

I dip my bullets in pork fat

now you don't have to

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2013...speed=noscript

Wow. Those have ".. two layers of pork deterrent".

they scream..... No 72 virgins fer you........sucker

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 21:20:01 -0500, "ChairMan"
wrote:

In ,
Oren belched:
On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 17:20:32 -0500, "ChairMan"
wrote:

In ,
Oren belched:
wrote:

And, I wish them muslims all the best as well. After all, they're
not killing me because they hate me, they're killing me because
they're involved in a Jihad, which is a holy war, and it's their
religious obligation to kill me.

I dip my bullets in pork fat

now you don't have to

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2013...speed=noscript

Wow. Those have ".. two layers of pork deterrent".

they scream..... No 72 virgins fer you........sucker

There must be an ammo shortage backed-up all the way to Albuquerque.

OT Japan and Muslims harry Home Repair 3 April 13th 13 03:17 AM
Muslims and people of other faiths:Who won the bet? Saly Mohammed Home Repair 6 January 8th 13 07:25 PM
PhD Student needs survey completed to finish my research schmed12 Home Ownership 0 February 27th 10 09:18 PM
Please help, rice survey (graduate research) Chatbovon UK diy 0 April 17th 07 03:46 AM