Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Brass garden hose nozzles and brass on/off switches (and missingo-rings)

Saw these while at Harbor Freight today looking for fence equipment:
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-...zle-31811.html

Only $3 for an all-brass garden hose nozzle seemed too good to pass up:
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/13379789.png

I had just bought earlier this week these $7 ACE brass nozzles:

So, given I have a lot of garden hoses, I bought a half dozen at HF:

Turns out, at least the first one I tested leaked when shut off.

With my 80 psi of pressure, and hard daily use, I've had bad luck
with a variety of the cheap hose nozzles:

When I look inside, I find the single o-ring ones seem to fail
the most (I have to source those o-rings):

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 05:37:55 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

Turns out, at least the first one I tested leaked when shut off.

BTW, do you know a good source for BRASS on/off switches?

All mine are plastic - but almost all break within the first year:

Posted to alt.home.repair

Danny D. wrote:
On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 05:37:55 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

Turns out, at least the first one I tested leaked when shut off.

BTW, do you know a good source for BRASS on/off switches?

All mine are plastic - but almost all break within the first year:

Make your own, with a 1/2" full flow ball valve and a set of 1/2" to hose
fitting adapters? You'd get way better flow than those little things.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 22:53:17 -0700, Bob F wrote:

Make your own, with a 1/2" full flow ball valve and a set of 1/2" to
hose fitting adapters? You'd get way better flow than those little
things.

That's a WONDERFUL idea!

I had not thought of using standard pipe-threaded valves, which
should be sturdier than these things, which always break on me:

Is this sort of what you envision?
http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/image...nBallValve.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

Danny D. wrote:
On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 22:53:17 -0700, Bob F wrote:

Make your own, with a 1/2" full flow ball valve and a set of 1/2" to
hose fitting adapters? You'd get way better flow than those little
things.

That's a WONDERFUL idea!

I had not thought of using standard pipe-threaded valves, which
should be sturdier than these things, which always break on me:

Is this sort of what you envision?
http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/image...nBallValve.jpg

I was thinking of brass parts, but that should work too. It will be more bulky,
but maybe lighter. Look for labeled "full flow" valves, and check the ID of the
ball hole. Then you'll know what I mean about flow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 08:01:30 -0700, Bob F wrote:

Look for labeled "full flow" valves, and check the ID of the
ball hole. Then you'll know what I mean about flow.

Interesting observation.

I like knowing what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Naah, that's not a switch. It's a valve. Can't turn electric on and off with a valve.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Danny D." wrote in message news On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 22:53:17 -0700, Bob F wrote:

Make your own, with a 1/2" full flow ball valve and a set of 1/2" to
hose fitting adapters? You'd get way better flow than those little
things.

That's a WONDERFUL idea!

I had not thought of using standard pipe-threaded valves, which
should be sturdier than these things, which always break on me:

Is this sort of what you envision?
http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/image...nBallValve.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 20:23:59 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

that's not a switch. It's a valve.

Ah. Thanks. I'll call it a valve moving forward.
Much appreciated!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/22/2013 1:03 AM, Danny D. wrote:
On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 22:53:17 -0700, Bob F wrote:

Make your own, with a 1/2" full flow ball valve and a set of 1/2" to
hose fitting adapters? You'd get way better flow than those little
things.

That's a WONDERFUL idea!

I had not thought of using standard pipe-threaded valves, which
should be sturdier than these things, which always break on me:

Is this sort of what you envision?
http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/image...nBallValve.jpg

If you really want to build your own bullet proof, corrosion proof hose
end valve and nozzle, you can start of with a stainless 3/4" ball valve
and a 6" nipple on each end so you have something to hold onto and adapt
to anything you want. I've had to do similar things in the past and
cobble together things that don't break. All it takes is a little money,
a little ingenuity and however much time you wish to put into your
project. I've built things I could purchase but I enjoy building things
and adding my own touches. ^_^

http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Stee.../dp/B0043LACRS

http://tinyurl.com/kvz44kv

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003JQJT2C/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

http://tinyurl.com/kmhyeqs

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

The 3/4 will have much better full flow. The plastic slip on the handle will decompose in the sunlight.

I like the idea of using a nipple on either end. Danny can, if he wishes, make a drip leg like a furnace gas line, and make a "pistol grip" for more comfortable operation. That pistol grip will probably make it regulated by Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms, and subject to the various regulations. Combine that with a flash hider, folding stock, and a high capacity garden hose with high pressure. Then, he's got an assault garden hose, not legal in CA or NY.

Danny has already got source of thread adaptors from pipe thread to garden hose thread.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message ...

If you really want to build your own bullet proof, corrosion proof hose
end valve and nozzle, you can start of with a stainless 3/4" ball valve
and a 6" nipple on each end so you have something to hold onto and adapt
to anything you want. I've had to do similar things in the past and
cobble together things that don't break. All it takes is a little money,
a little ingenuity and however much time you wish to put into your
project. I've built things I could purchase but I enjoy building things
and adding my own touches. ^_^

http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Stee.../dp/B0043LACRS

http://tinyurl.com/kvz44kv

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003JQJT2C/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

http://tinyurl.com/kmhyeqs

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 05:40:28 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

BTW, do you know a good source for BRASS on/off switches?

This is the only avenue I know (Amazon) as I can't find all-brass valves
at the local box stores (and even these are only half brass):
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/13379897.png

Posted to alt.home.repair

Danny D. wrote:
On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 05:40:28 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

BTW, do you know a good source for BRASS on/off switches?

This is the only avenue I know (Amazon) as I can't find all-brass
valves at the local box stores (and even these are only half brass):
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/13379897.png

Look in the plumbing section, not the garden section for real brass ball valves.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 08:02:51 -0700, Bob F wrote:

Look in the plumbing section, not the garden section

I didn't find them in the plumbing section of Ace Hardware today, but,
in anticipation of plumbing pipe threads - I picked up male & female
brass NPT to Garden-Hose adapters today:

http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...0/13384359.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

Danny D. wrote:
On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 08:02:51 -0700, Bob F wrote:

Look in the plumbing section, not the garden section

I didn't find them in the plumbing section of Ace Hardware today, but,
in anticipation of plumbing pipe threads - I picked up male & female
brass NPT to Garden-Hose adapters today:

http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...0/13384359.jpg

I'm thinking that the one on the right is not what you want. The large inside
thread is probably a pipe thread, not a female hose thread.. Usually, they have
a rotating part to screw on the hose. You might find the correct one back in the
garden area of the store.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Plates, but no switches.
http://hi.atgimg.com/img/x/295/4751.030.jpg
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Danny D." wrote in message news
BTW, do you know a good source for BRASS on/off switches?

All mine are plastic - but almost all break within the first year:

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Danny D." wrote:
On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 05:37:55 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

Turns out, at least the first one I tested leaked when shut off.

BTW, do you know a good source for BRASS on/off switches?

All mine are plastic - but almost all break within the first year:

I forget where I bought my dual valve on off. It's ball valve. Second year
at the trailer. I didn't want plastic. Been using my brass nozzle for many
years, no problem. I might have bought the valve at sears, kmart, walmart,
online. Don't go cheap. My nozzle is not plated.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 02:26:46 +0000, gregz wrote:

I forget where I bought my dual valve on off. It's ball valve.

UPDATE:
Picked up some mostly-brass ball valves at Home Depot this morning.

The plumbing ones were *super hard* to turn!

So I went back to the lawn & garden department.

All they had there, other than pure plastic, was this $6
plastic & brass ball valve:

I bought a couple to test out on the rubber assault hose:

PS: Under California law, am I required to engrave the assault
hose serial number #0000001 on the nozzle or on the valve?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In cars, 1 can be the governor's limo. Might need a different number?
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Danny D." wrote in message news

I bought a couple to test out on the rubber assault hose:

PS: Under California law, am I required to engrave the assault
hose serial number #0000001 on the nozzle or on the valve?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Danny D. wrote:
On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 02:26:46 +0000, gregz wrote:

I forget where I bought my dual valve on off. It's ball valve.

UPDATE:
Picked up some mostly-brass ball valves at Home Depot this morning.

The plumbing ones were *super hard* to turn!

You might have been looking at gas valves. The water ones have a handle 4" or
more long, and move easily.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 07:14:19 -0700, Bob F wrote:

You might have been looking at gas valves. The water ones have a handle 4" or
more long, and move easily.

Hmmm... I'll go back and doublecheck.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/22/2013 12:37 AM, Danny D. wrote:
Saw these while at Harbor Freight today looking for fence equipment:
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-...zle-31811.html

Only $3 for an all-brass garden hose nozzle seemed too good to pass up:
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/13379789.png

I had just bought earlier this week these $7 ACE brass nozzles:

So, given I have a lot of garden hoses, I bought a half dozen at HF:

Turns out, at least the first one I tested leaked when shut off.

With my 80 psi of pressure, and hard daily use, I've had bad luck
with a variety of the cheap hose nozzles:

When I look inside, I find the single o-ring ones seem to fail
the most (I have to source those o-rings):

This is the only type garden hose nozzle I own, since I need it for use
in my service work. I must have something that doesn't break. ^_^

http://www.amazon.com/Bon-Aire-Origi...en+hose+nozzel

http://tinyurl.com/mgtd33a

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I should have mentioned that the version I have is all stainless steel.
It's not the brand on Amazon but it's just like it and I've had it for
10 trouble free years. ^_^

http://www.amazon.com/Bon-Aire-HN-10...=pd_sbs_auto_2

http://tinyurl.com/m48alo7

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 06:20:59 -0500, The Daring Dufas wrote:

I should have mentioned that the version I have is all stainless steel.
It's not the brand on Amazon but it's just like it and I've had it for
10 trouble free years. ^_^

I only get about a year from all the plastic ones; either the sun destroys
them outright, or the dropping onto hard services breaks the handles and
bodies, or they simply crud up from the inside out:

I've got yellow switches, black switches, and green switches; the green
seem to last the longest for some reason (maybe two years at most):

Posted to alt.home.repair

Perhaps you mean shut off valve?

Switches are for electricty.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Danny D." wrote in message news
I only get about a year from all the plastic ones; either the sun destroys
them outright, or the dropping onto hard services breaks the handles and
bodies, or they simply crud up from the inside out:

I've got yellow switches, black switches, and green switches; the green
seem to last the longest for some reason (maybe two years at most):

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2013-06-22, The Daring Dufas wrote:

I should have mentioned that the version I have is all stainless steel.
It's not the brand on Amazon but it's just like it and I've had it for
10 trouble free years. ^_^

http://www.amazon.com/Bon-Aire-HN-10...=pd_sbs_auto_2

http://tinyurl.com/m48alo7

It's always a good idea to read the detractors. In the case of this
nozzle, there seems to be quite a few and all for the same reason.
I'll be looking elsewhere.

http://tinyurl.com/kt3ggzq

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2013-06-22, The Daring Dufas wrote:

I should have mentioned that the version I have is all stainless steel.
It's not the brand on Amazon but it's just like it and I've had it for
10 trouble free years. ^_^

http://www.amazon.com/Bon-Aire-HN-10...=pd_sbs_auto_2

http://tinyurl.com/m48alo7

It's always a good idea to read the detractors. In the case of this
nozzle, there seems to be quite a few and all for the same reason.
I'll be looking elsewhere.

http://tinyurl.com/kt3ggzq

nb

The one I've had for 10 years must be metal then, I bought it at an
industrial supply house. Perhaps the stainless nozzle from Amazon is
plastic inside when mine is not. I believe I wrote that I have one of
the type. Darn it, the cheap copies just have to show up on the market. o_O

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 10:01:06 -0500, The Daring Dufas wrote:

Darn it, the cheap copies just have to show up on the market

You'd think that a 100% brass nozzle, whether cheap copy or not,
would have to be the same thing.

But, look at this $7 brand new Ace Hardware brass nozzle and
my $3 brand new Harbor Freight brass nozzle side by side:

From the outside, they look (essentially) the same.

But, from all other angles (inside, input & output), they
are functionally different.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2013-06-22, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

I should have mentioned that the version I have is all stainless
steel. It's not the brand on Amazon but it's just like it and I've
had it for 10 trouble free years. ^_^

http://www.amazon.com/Bon-Aire-HN-10...=pd_sbs_auto_2

http://tinyurl.com/m48alo7

It's always a good idea to read the detractors. In the case of this
nozzle, there seems to be quite a few and all for the same reason.
I'll be looking elsewhere.

http://tinyurl.com/kt3ggzq

Amusing, the guy complaining about how itr broke when he let it freeze. Freezing
will easily break all brass or steel valves. Jeeze, just don't let it freeze.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like you got your use out of it. I like it when good value tools last for a long time. One toy I got was rolls flat canvas garden hose, came with a reel. Ace hardware, had to special order it from the factory. But, it stores in small space in the work van, and handles water just fine. Much easier to move around, compared to HF brand heavy duty hose. I hooked the heavy duty hose to the frost free hydrant, and ran the canvas to the roof.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message ...

I should have mentioned that the version I have is all stainless steel.
It's not the brand on Amazon but it's just like it and I've had it for
10 trouble free years. ^_^

http://www.amazon.com/Bon-Aire-HN-10...=pd_sbs_auto_2

http://tinyurl.com/m48alo7

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 06:12:44 -0500, The Daring Dufas wrote:

This is the only type garden hose nozzle I own, since I need it for use
in my service work. I must have something that doesn't break

Wow. That's a heavy duty garden hose nozzle!
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/13382546.png

I wonder if your company can pay for a dozen for me!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/22/2013 9:07 AM, Danny D. wrote:
On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 06:12:44 -0500, The Daring Dufas wrote:

This is the only type garden hose nozzle I own, since I need it for use
in my service work. I must have something that doesn't break

Wow. That's a heavy duty garden hose nozzle!
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/13382546.png

I wonder if your company can pay for a dozen for me!

I've had the stainless version for years and the rubber cover protects
it and any surface it might fall on. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 09:11:11 -0500, The Daring Dufas wrote:

I've had the stainless version for years and the rubber cover protects
it and any surface it might fall on. ^_^

If the stainless is less cost than the aluminum, it might be worth it.
Currently, I'm paying about $7 (for the Ace hardware nozzles) plus whatever
that lousy plastic switch costs (probably 4 bucks).

I have these on at least a dozen hoses.

The reason for the nozzle is obvious; but the reason for the plastic
switch is because the wife likes to regulate the flow better, especially
in the low flow way for her plants.

If I went with the $7 Ace nozzles + the $6 Amazon brass switch, that would
be roughly $15 per hose (incl tax or shipping) or about $150 for the set.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 14:52:33 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

but the reason for the plastic
switch is because the wife likes to regulate the flow better,

Garden hose brass ball valve:

http://lghttp.20535.nexcesscdn.net/809BC4/magento/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/500x/4d240d7eed54a65cf440c47e8a086bb9/I/C/IC-GHBV-EA_1.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 06:12:44 -0500, The Daring Dufas wrote:

in my service work. I must have something that doesn't break

Speaking of breaking, I just ran a survey of the years' old
garden hoses that are in use sprinkled around the yard, and
realized there is a commonality around color ...

These 2 red rubber garden hoses seem to be holding up the best:

These 2 black hoses hold up well (except they make your hands black):

These 4 Costco 100' gray hoses hold up well - but kink too easily
so I chopped them down to 50' each:

And, these 3 green garden hoses hold up the worst of all:

In summary, the red rubber holds up the best; the black rubber is
the most pliable and easy to work in 100' lengths - but they grease
up my hands, especially when wet. The Costco gray hoses are a pain
to coil up as they're far too stiff; and the green garden variety
hoses are used for only the lightest jobs and shortest lengths.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dollar Tree has pistol grip style nozzles, seem
to work OK for me. I used one yesterday, the
roof of two trailers to clean out the AC condensors.

The one you link, looks rugged enough.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message ...

This is the only type garden hose nozzle I own, since I need it for use
in my service work. I must have something that doesn't break. ^_^

http://www.amazon.com/Bon-Aire-Origi...en+hose+nozzel

http://tinyurl.com/mgtd33a

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

I wonder if use of silicone plumbers grease or marine grease would make the nozzles last longer?
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Danny D." wrote in message news Saw these while at Harbor Freight today looking for fence equipment:
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-...zle-31811.html

Only $3 for an all-brass garden hose nozzle seemed too good to pass up:
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/13379789.png

I had just bought earlier this week these $7 ACE brass nozzles:

So, given I have a lot of garden hoses, I bought a half dozen at HF:

Turns out, at least the first one I tested leaked when shut off.

With my 80 psi of pressure, and hard daily use, I've had bad luck
with a variety of the cheap hose nozzles:

When I look inside, I find the single o-ring ones seem to fail
the most (I have to source those o-rings):

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 20:21:26 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I wonder if use of silicone plumbers grease or marine grease
would make the nozzles last longer?

I'm not sure what makes a solid brass nozzle go bad.

I suspect about the only thing that *can* go bad are the 2 o-rings.

I guess crud buildup also - but that can be cleaned out
with vinegar.

Posted to alt.home.repair

They need love, discipline, and a strong man to teach them right and wrong.

Bring them in by 9 PM or so, and no violent video games.

That said, maybe the silicone plumbers grease will help?
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Danny D." wrote in message news On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 20:21:26 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I wonder if use of silicone plumbers grease or marine grease
would make the nozzles last longer?

I'm not sure what makes a solid brass nozzle go bad.

I suspect about the only thing that *can* go bad are the 2 o-rings.

I guess crud buildup also - but that can be cleaned out
with vinegar.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Danny D. wrote:

For the shutoff valves, I just saw this one.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...P?origin=local

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
Danny D. wrote:

For the shutoff valves, I just saw this one.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...P?origin=local

Forgot to mention - "Lifetime Warrantee"