Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Air Conditioner Placement

We live in an old farmhouse with a boiler and radiator heating system. Air conditioning is done by window units except for the living room, which has a very old through-the-wall unit. As you can see in the picture linked below, the placement is very bad but that's where they put it 30+ years ago.

http://s1346.photobucket.com/user/pa...45d47.jpg.html

The unit is under the porch roof on the right side in the picture, right behind the hanging plant. When it's on, the hot air exhaust blows right across the door so you get hit with a blast of hot air when you come in or out. Also, since it's under the roof, circulation is poor so I imagine that a lot of that hot air gets sucked back into the cooling air ports, reducing efficiency.

I want to replace the unit this summer and there's really no other spot to put it in the living room. Besides, I'd hate to have to cut another hole in the wall.

I had an idea to get a new unit (the room size requires about 11K BTU) and mount it in the same place. I'd build a sheet metal plenum to catch the hot air exhaust and run an exhaust duct up through the porch roof. This would eliminate the blast furnace effect when opening the door and hopefully make the unit more efficient since it wouldn't be recirculating the hot air. Sounds weird, I know. Any comments from the HVAC experts on the group?

The other idea was a split unit but they cost twice what a through-the-wall unit costs and need professional installation.

I could also get two window units as a last resort.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://s1346.photobucket.com/user/pa...01_zps60e45d47...

[...]

Could you put a thru the wall unit under a living-room window???
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Pavel314 wrote:

[...]

put it above the porch? I know it would be high, but a step stool would
solve that...and you might get better interior cooling circulation
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 19:30:26 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Paul

Could you put a thru the wall unit under a living-room window???

In my last house, I put the AC under the dining room window and it did
the living room just fine. Of course, it was very open.

I don't see many options. Yes, the split is more money, but it does
have benefits and you will be living with whatever you do for many
years.

To make a better recommendation, we'd have to see the room layout and
your wallet thickness.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

Simple seems to want to put a down diverter on the rear. I'm no expert.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://s1346.photobucket.com/user/pa...5d47.jpg..html

[...]

I think some of the mini-splits are coming charged with "plug-in" lines now.. You might want to look around a bit before giving up on them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 18, 10:07*am, jamesgang wrote:
[...]

I think some of the mini-splits are coming charged with "plug-in" lines now. *You might want to look around a bit before giving up on them.- Hide quoted text -

I was thinking that too, ie that they could be a DIY install.
Still, they are going to be more expensive than a conventional
unit. The real problem here is that the original install location
was a ****-poor one.

Since the problem here is the hot air blast, I wonder if the
newer units might have less forceful air coming out? It's
probably something that you can't figure out, until you've
bought it. I guess he could start checking how much hot
air is coming out from any he happens across. But then
that is also going to depend on how many btu's if the
compressor is on, etc.

grounding rod placement franz frippl Home Repair 4 August 2nd 07 02:13 PM
PIR placement M.Joshi Electronics Repair 1 October 29th 06 10:08 PM
Radiator placement Beartums Home Repair 24 March 25th 05 11:04 PM
VFD Placement Wayne Metalworking 7 March 22nd 05 11:47 PM
Light placement a UK diy 2 November 28th 04 05:35 AM