Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Video of Griffin-Campbell Contractors Demolishing Building Daysbefore Deadly Accident

http://www.ragingchickenpress.org/20...adly-accident/
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
wrote:

http://www.ragingchickenpress.org/20...mpbell-contrac
tors-demolishing-building-days-before-deadly-accident/

just think how much better they would have done with even less
regulation and rules
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/8/2013 2:06 PM, wrote:
http://www.ragingchickenpress.org/20...adly-accident/

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...ment-operator/
Senior Member

I'm on dial-up, and so I'm lucky to maintain a download speed of 4 kilobytes per second, and downloading tens or hundred megabyte video files take hours and even days.

Is there anything on the video that looks like the bucket operator doesn't know what he's doing or is working dangerously?

CNN reported that his blood was tested after the building collapsed and indications of prescription pain killers and marijuana were found in his blood. But, they didn't say whether the amounts of those drugs would have been high enough to impair his performance or judgement.

Apparantly, the company doing the work was qualified to do that kind of demolition, and all of the necessary permits had been taken out. Still, if the operator of the bucket was impaired at the time, the company he works for can still be held responsible because he was under their control when he (presumably) knocked down the wall. Vicarious liability is a law that survives from the time of slavery in Britain (and the US) when masters were legally responsible for the actions of their slaves. Only now, it makes employers responsible for the actions of their employees. I don't know whether the employee being stoned would affect the employer's vicarious liability or not, tho. I would think so if the employer didn't know the employee was stoned and had no reason to suspect he was.

Last edited by nestork : June 8th 13 at 09:22 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

--

nestork

If I were doing it I would have started demolishing it manually from the top and wouldn’t have brought in an excavator until it was the same height as the building next door.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 08 Jun 2013 15:29:52 -0400, Frank
wrote:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...ment-operator/

A face a mother loved. What a mug shot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...ment-operator/

A face a mother loved. What a mug shot.

Back when my and my coworker's kids were young, we used to grab the
Wednesday paper and check out the police blotter section. They would
publish a full page of mug shots very similar to the one in that link. We
would vote on which one we should call to babysit our kids.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill wrote:
In article ,
says...

Is there anything on the video that looks like the bucket operator
doesn't know what he's doing or is working dangerously?

Well if that is the one story building, right NEXT DOOR to the four
story building being torn down, which the higher building collapsed
onto...

No one should have been in that one story building! If you watch
buildings being torn down, you will see that brick walls can fall all
over the place - not just neatly fall in one direction (no matter who
is operating the equipment).

So someone should have made them close that one story building until
demolition was completed. In my area the city or fire department would
have required that.

Also the demolition company should have refused to tear down that
building if the neighbors refused to vacate.

I just watched the video, and I am amazed that not one person in the area
noticed what a dangerous situation it was as they were demo-ing the building
attached to the thrift store. No bystander, thrift store owner or customer,
police officer, firefighter, fire/rescue EMT, property owner across the
street, etc. It would be one thing if the thrift store appeared to be not
open (as in the video) and people may have concluded that it too was being
torn down. But, an open thrift store, with people going in and out, while
the attached building was being demo-ed sure seems like it should have
caused some observer to question what was going on. What a sad tragedy for
all of those who were killed or harmed by this fiasco.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/10/2013 3:22 PM, TomR wrote:
Bill wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

Just one more consequence of "The Dumbassification Of America" o_O

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Philly Building Inspector Commits Suicide

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/...s-suicide.html