Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need to convince the wife that it's crud on her countertop (notgrout)

After energizing a bit at breakfast this morning, I decided to
scrape out what I think is "crud" on top of grout on the counter:

As soon as the wife saw me digging away, she wryly reminded me of
all my mistakes from the past, and suggested that I go and find
something to fix anywhere else - but not in "her" kitchen:

She wasn't convinced at all that this is pure crud, not grout:

Isn't it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/29/2013 11:05 AM, Danny D wrote:
After energizing a bit at breakfast this morning, I decided to
scrape out what I think is "crud" on top of grout on the counter:

As soon as the wife saw me digging away, she wryly reminded me of
all my mistakes from the past, and suggested that I go and find
something to fix anywhere else - but not in "her" kitchen:

She wasn't convinced at all that this is pure crud, not grout:

Isn't it?

maybe. probably. you might use a brass brush to remove it, or a plastic
tool of some sort. i wouldn't use that metal screwdriver, as if you scar
up the underlying grout, it'll look worse, and you'll then be asking how
to remove grout so you can do a regrout job (which i don't look forward
to because it'll be another 500 post thread).
Posted to alt.home.repair

Danny D writes:

After energizing a bit at breakfast this morning, I decided to
scrape out what I think is "crud" on top of grout on the counter:

As soon as the wife saw me digging away, she wryly reminded me of
all my mistakes from the past, and suggested that I go and find
something to fix anywhere else - but not in "her" kitchen:

She wasn't convinced at all that this is pure crud, not grout:

Isn't it?

Grout comes in all kinds of colors.
Looks like black grout to me.

Ever consider that you might be at least a little OCD?

--
Dan Espen
Senior Member

You'd call it "crud", but to decide how best to clean it up, you pretty well need to know precisely what that crud is.

If this is the tiling near your kitchen sink, I'd say that crud was a mixture of food spatter and bacteria feeding on that food. I'd clean it off with dish washing detergent using a denture cleaning brush (because they have much stiffer bristles than tooth brushes) for more aggressive scrubbing.

A denture cleaning brush won't scratch up your grout like a screw driver might.

Last edited by nestork : May 29th 13 at 09:10 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 29 May 2013 14:52:04 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:

Looks like black grout to me.

What's confusing is that the black stuff is soft, and grout,
I would think, would be rock hard - yet - I would also think
that a countertop should be smooth and not have crevices for
crud to inevitably get trapped in.

Do any of you have a similar countertop?

Is yours smooth across the edges of the blocks?
(I'm not sure what material it's made of. Granite?)

I'll also look at a countertop store; but they'll only have
new stuff, and not stuff that has been in use for years.

OCD?

Who me?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Wednesday, May 29, 2013 1:17:10 PM UTC-6, Danny D wrote:
On Wed, 29 May 2013 14:52:04 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:

Looks like black grout to me.

What's confusing is that the black stuff is soft, and grout,

I would think, would be rock hard - yet - I would also think

that a countertop should be smooth and not have crevices for

crud to inevitably get trapped in.

Do any of you have a similar countertop?

Is yours smooth across the edges of the blocks?

(I'm not sure what material it's made of. Granite?)

I'll also look at a countertop store; but they'll only have

new stuff, and not stuff that has been in use for years.

OCD?

Who me?

Check it out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessi...lsive_disorder

Can't hurt...MUCH.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 29 May 2013 12:18:44 -0700, Roy wrote:

Check it out:

"Its sufferers commonly share personality traits such as high attention
to detail, avoidance of risk, careful planning, exaggerated sense of
responsibility and a tendency to take time in making decisions."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 29 May 2013 12:18:44 -0700, Roy wrote:

Check it out:

"Its sufferers commonly share personality traits such as high attention
to detail, avoidance of risk, careful planning, exaggerated sense of
responsibility and a tendency to take time in making decisions."

Can't be me because I don't have an exaggerated sense of responsibility!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Danny D writes:

On Wed, 29 May 2013 12:18:44 -0700, Roy wrote:

Check it out:

"Its sufferers commonly share personality traits such as high attention
to detail, avoidance of risk, careful planning, exaggerated sense of
responsibility and a tendency to take time in making decisions."

Can't be me because I don't have an exaggerated sense of responsibility!

OCD comes in mild, hardly noticeable all the way to can't go outside
debilitating.

If you think you might have some of the symptoms (and from here you seem
like you might), the best thing to do, is learn to listen to your wife
when she tells you to worry about something else.

Meanwhile, if you can avoid annoying others, you can use it to your
advantage. Sounds to me like you're getting lots of things accomplished.

Go tell your wife thanks.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 29, 12:29*pm, Danny D wrote:
On Wed, 29 May 2013 12:18:44 -0700, Roy wrote:
Check it out:

"Its sufferers commonly share personality traits such as high attention
to detail, avoidance of risk, careful planning, exaggerated sense of
responsibility and a tendency to take time in making decisions."

Can't be me because I don't have an exaggerated sense of responsibility!

really? then why all the follow posts & annotated photos?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Roy wrote:
On Wednesday, May 29, 2013 1:17:10 PM UTC-6, Danny D wrote:
On Wed, 29 May 2013 14:52:04 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:

Looks like black grout to me.

What's confusing is that the black stuff is soft, and grout,

I would think, would be rock hard - yet - I would also think

that a countertop should be smooth and not have crevices for

crud to inevitably get trapped in.

Do any of you have a similar countertop?

Is yours smooth across the edges of the blocks?

(I'm not sure what material it's made of. Granite?)

I'll also look at a countertop store; but they'll only have

new stuff, and not stuff that has been in use for years.

OCD?

Who me?

Check it out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessi...lsive_disorder

Can't hurt...MUCH.

It would be OCD if he did it every day, whether or not the crud was
there, but every once in a while?
I do my grout with Simple Green and a toothbrush every hour. :-)

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 29 May 2013 16:55:13 -0400, willshak wrote:

It would be OCD if he did it every day, whether or not the
crud was there, but every once in a while?

All I really want to know, is if it's crud or grout.
I'll run the 409 test, and report back.

If it's grout, it stays; if it's crud, it goes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 29 May 2013 16:55:13 -0400, willshak wrote:

It would be OCD if he did it every day, whether or not the
crud was there, but every once in a while?

Crud doesn't bother me normally - but - the real reason I care
is the wife uses the countertop to make bread or pastries or
pasta most mornings - and - well - if she only knew what I
*think* is on her countertop ... she'd stop making the stuff.

Here's what I found lying on the counter this morning, ready
for cooking:

If she figured out it was crud, then I'd have nothing to eat
for breakfast anymore.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/29/2013 12:17 PM, Danny D wrote:
On Wed, 29 May 2013 14:52:04 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:

Looks like black grout to me.

What's confusing is that the black stuff is soft, and grout,
I would think, would be rock hard - yet - I would also think
that a countertop should be smooth and not have crevices for
crud to inevitably get trapped in.

Do any of you have a similar countertop?

Is yours smooth across the edges of the blocks?
(I'm not sure what material it's made of. Granite?)

I'll also look at a countertop store; but they'll only have
new stuff, and not stuff that has been in use for years.

OCD?

Who me?

sandless grout is softer than sanded grout. i have 1' granite tiles with
very thin grout lines. grout should be just below the surface of those
tiles, and smooth. either it was a bad job, or it's crud.

you might put a paper towel over the lines, dampened with a strong
gleaner (409 or such) for a while. see if it gets really soft. if so,
it's crud.

this is why granite slab is so popular, btw. no grout.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 29 May 2013 12:25:24 -0700, chaniarts wrote:

put a paper towel over the lines, dampened with a strong
gleaner (409 or such) for a while. see if it gets really soft.

I'll try that (when the wife leaves the house), and report back.

this is why granite slab is so popular, btw. no grout.

I must agree. It's crazy to have places that will just trap crud.

Same thing with the edge of the counter behind the sink; it should
be a smooth curve!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 29 May 2013 19:17:10 +0000 (UTC), Danny D
wrote:

On Wed, 29 May 2013 14:52:04 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:

Looks like black grout to me.

What's confusing is that the black stuff is soft, and grout,
I would think, would be rock hard - yet - I would also think
that a countertop should be smooth and not have crevices for
crud to inevitably get trapped in.

That's why I have formica.

but you have something fancier. Don't mess it up.

The first two pictures look black. Where did your family find black
crud to match the black grout?. I'd leave it alone until she
complains, and even then I might leave it alone.

I'm a guy and no feminist, but I'd be made if someone messed up my
kitchen after I told, or asked, him not to. And even those with 100%
A records make mistakes.

I spilled some inkjet ink from a printer on my bathroom floor, and I
had to dig a long way to get all the colored grout out. Then I had to
fill the trench I had made. The home builder probably used the stuff
mixed from a powder, but I got the stuff that's like butter but
stickier. I hope they match. I've stopped looking.

Do any of you have a similar countertop?

Is yours smooth across the edges of the blocks?
(I'm not sure what material it's made of. Granite?)

I'll also look at a countertop store; but they'll only have
new stuff, and not stuff that has been in use for years.

OCD?

Who me?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Danny D wrote in :

After energizing a bit at breakfast this morning, I decided to
scrape out what I think is "crud" on top of grout on the counter:

Looks like grout to me. What makes you think it isn't?

As soon as the wife saw me digging away, she wryly reminded me of
all my mistakes from the past, and suggested that I go and find
something to fix anywhere else - but not in "her" kitchen:

She wasn't convinced at all that this is pure crud, not grout:

Isn't it?

Looks like grout to me. What makes you think it isn't?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
Danny D wrote in
:

After energizing a bit at breakfast this morning, I decided to
scrape out what I think is "crud" on top of grout on the counter:

Looks like grout to me. What makes you think it isn't?

As soon as the wife saw me digging away, she wryly reminded me of
all my mistakes from the past, and suggested that I go and find
something to fix anywhere else - but not in "her" kitchen:

She wasn't convinced at all that this is pure crud, not grout:

Isn't it?

Looks like grout to me. What makes you think it isn't?

If it looks the same even in the distant corners, it's probably grout.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 29 May 2013 13:06:33 -0700, Bob F wrote:

If it looks the same even in the distant corners, it's probably grout.

I looked this morning, while the wife was still asleep, & it seems
that there *is* a slight lip at some of the distant "tiles".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 29, 1:06*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
Danny D wrote in
:

*http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/13184925.jpg

Looks like grout to me. What makes you think it isn't?

As soon as the wife saw me digging away, she wryly reminded me of
all my mistakes from the past, and suggested that I go and find
something to fix anywhere else - but not in "her" kitchen:
*http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/13184927.jpg

She wasn't convinced at all that this is pure crud, not grout:
*http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/13184923.jpg

Isn't it?

Looks like grout to me. What makes you think it isn't?

If it looks the same even in the distant corners, it's probably grout.

If it looks the same even in the distant corners, it's probably grout.

great idea

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 29 May 2013 19:47:01 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:

Looks like grout to me. What makes you think it isn't?

It's soft. It's cruddy.
When I scraped it away, a beautiful "V" shaped crevice resulted.

On the other hand, the "v" crevice isn't flush with the material.

BTW, is this granite or fake granite or what? How can I tell?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Danny D wrote in :

On Wed, 29 May 2013 19:47:01 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:

Looks like grout to me. What makes you think it isn't?

It's soft. It's cruddy.

When compared to a steel screwdriver, grout *is* soft. As for "cruddy"... maybe it wasn't a
very good grout job.

When I scraped it away, a beautiful "V" shaped crevice resulted.

When you're scraping it out with the corner of a screwdriver, what else would you expect??

On the other hand, the "v" crevice isn't flush with the material.

Of course not. You scraped some of the grout out.

BTW, is this granite or fake granite or what? How can I tell?

Try to gouge the granite -- on the underside -- with your screwdriver. If you can, then it's a
synthetic composite material; if the screwdriver gets worn down, it's probably real.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 29 May 2013 18:05:35 +0000 (UTC), Danny D
wrote:

After energizing a bit at breakfast this morning, I decided to
scrape out what I think is "crud" on top of grout on the counter:

As soon as the wife saw me digging away, she wryly reminded me of
all my mistakes from the past, and suggested that I go and find
something to fix anywhere else - but not in "her" kitchen:

She wasn't convinced at all that this is pure crud, not grout:

Isn't it?

Considering the color of the countertop and the evenness of the color,
I'd say it is grout. It may pick out easy, but if not careful, you'll
f-up the entire counter. It may need sealing or regrouting.
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Pawlowski View Post
Considering the color of the countertop and the evenness of the color,
I'd say it is grout. It may pick out easy, but if not careful, you'll
f-up the entire counter. It may need sealing or regrouting.
If that grout can be scraped out with a small screw driver like that, then it wasn't done properly from the start. I would have been soft and easily scraped away since the tiling was done.

If the grout does scrape out easily like that, then I'd regrout that top.

If there are tiles on the backsplash and floor tiles on the floor, I'd check the grout in those places as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

After energizing a bit at breakfast this morning, I decided to
scrape out what I think is "crud" on top of grout on the counter:

As soon as the wife saw me digging away, she wryly reminded me of
all my mistakes from the past, and suggested that I go and find
something to fix anywhere else - but not in "her" kitchen:

She wasn't convinced at all that this is pure crud, not grout:

Isn't it?

Considering the color of the countertop and the evenness of the color,
I'd say it is grout. It may pick out easy, but if not careful, you'll
f-up the entire counter. It may need sealing or regrouting.

Hmm,
I'd steam clean it fisrt and see.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 29, 7:05*pm, Danny D wrote:
After energizing a bit at breakfast this morning, I decided to
scrape out what I think is "crud" on top of grout on the counter:
*http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/13184925.jpg

As soon as the wife saw me digging away, she wryly reminded me of
all my mistakes from the past, and suggested that I go and find
something to fix anywhere else - but not in "her" kitchen:
*http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/13184927.jpg

She wasn't convinced at all that this is pure crud, not grout:
*http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/13184923.jpg

Isn't it?

It's probably algea.
Tiled worktops/counters are extremely unhygenic, people get food
poisoning from bugs living in the cracks which can't be properly
cleaned,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Danny D wrote, On 5/29/2013 2:05 PM:
After energizing a bit at breakfast this morning, I decided to
scrape out what I think is "crud" on top of grout on the counter:

As soon as the wife saw me digging away, she wryly reminded me of
all my mistakes from the past, and suggested that I go and find
something to fix anywhere else - but not in "her" kitchen:

She wasn't convinced at all that this is pure crud, not grout:

Isn't it?

If its crud you don't need a screwdriver to remove it. If it's crud,
some soapy water and a brush will remove it, do they?

--
dadiOH
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 May 2013 05:08:18 -0400, dadiOH wrote:

If it's crud, soapy water and a brush will remove it, do they?

Yes.
Befo
After:

A problem was the brass brush dulled the "tiles" a bit; so
I should have used a softer brush (e.g., a toothbrush).

Posted to alt.home.repair

Danny D wrote:
On Thu, 30 May 2013 05:08:18 -0400, dadiOH wrote:

If it's crud, soapy water and a brush will remove it, do they?

Yes.
Befo
After:

A problem was the brass brush dulled the "tiles" a bit; so
I should have used a softer brush (e.g., a toothbrush).

Looks like good grooves there now to hold the crud.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 30, 6:02*am, Danny D wrote:
On Thu, 30 May 2013 05:08:18 -0400, dadiOH wrote:
If it's crud, soapy water and a brush will remove it, do they?

Yes.
*Befo
*http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/13190426.jpg
*After:
*http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/13190427.jpg

A problem was the brass brush dulled the "tiles" a bit; so
I should have used a softer brush (e.g., a toothbrush).

DADD-
Looks like your wife was right (again) ....despite her warning you F'd
up again.
Now you have a nice groove to act as a real crud catcher and you've
given her maint problem.

Often times stone tiles are set with epoxy grout...my experience,
epoxy grout is a better adhesive but is softer.
Stop messing with it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 29, 2013 2:05:35 PM UTC-4, Danny D wrote:
After energizing a bit at breakfast this morning, I decided to

scrape out what I think is "crud" on top of grout on the counter:

As soon as the wife saw me digging away, she wryly reminded me of

all my mistakes from the past, and suggested that I go and find

something to fix anywhere else - but not in "her" kitchen:

She wasn't convinced at all that this is pure crud, not grout:

Isn't it?

It looks like grout
full strength bleach. Worry about uncleaned buttons, keys, money, door knobs and the insides of the piping that delivers all your unboiled water
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 29, 1:05 pm, Danny D wrote:
After energizing a bit at breakfast this morning, I decided to
scrape out what I think is "crud" on top of grout on the counter:

As soon as the wife saw me digging away, she wryly reminded me of
all my mistakes from the past, and suggested that I go and find
something to fix anywhere else - but not in "her" kitchen:

She wasn't convinced at all that this is pure crud, not grout:

Isn't it?

A simple test is to put some of the crud in her mouth. If it is
grout, it will have no taste... If it is crud, it will make her throw
up.... By observing the effect, you will either win or lose the
argument....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 29, 11:05*am, Danny D wrote:
After energizing a bit at breakfast this morning, I decided to
scrape out what I think is "crud" on top of grout on the counter:
*http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/13184925.jpg

As soon as the wife saw me digging away, she wryly reminded me of
all my mistakes from the past, and suggested that I go and find
something to fix anywhere else - but not in "her" kitchen:
*http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/13184927.jpg

She wasn't convinced at all that this is pure crud, not grout:
*http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/13184923.jpg

Isn't it?

DADD-

You better find a job within your area of experience.
If your wife loses patience you might wake up dead.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

After energizing a bit at breakfast this morning, I decided to
scrape out what I think is "crud" on top of grout on the counter:

As soon as the wife saw me digging away, she wryly reminded me of
all my mistakes from the past, and suggested that I go and find
something to fix anywhere else - but not in "her" kitchen:

She wasn't convinced at all that this is pure crud, not grout:

Isn't it?

It's crud to me. Any recessed gap like those on a countertop are
bound to collect crud. My bathroom floor tiles are much better
grouted and easier to sanitize than that countertop.
If it wasn't crud it wouldn't scrape put with a screwdriver. And if
it's soft grout, it's still crud. Countertop grout should be hard,
otherwise you might as well call it caulk. It's probably a poorly
mixed grout in there.
Clean it out and re-grout using a properly hard-setting grout, flush
or almost flush with the top.
I'm not even thinking about food safety, which is a real issue.
Just the thought of food being prepped around crud is unappetizing.
Your choice is epoxy or cement based, colored black. I'd probably use
cement, and if didn't work out after some years, I'd grind out the top
3/16" or so and try epoxy. That's not a big job on your countertop.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 02 Jun 2013 13:45:05 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

It's crud to me. Any recessed gap like those on a countertop are
bound to collect crud. My bathroom floor tiles are much better
grouted and easier to sanitize than that countertop.
If it wasn't crud it wouldn't scrape put with a screwdriver. And if
it's soft grout, it's still crud. Countertop grout should be hard,
otherwise you might as well call it caulk. It's probably a poorly
mixed grout in there.
Clean it out and re-grout using a properly hard-setting grout, flush
or almost flush with the top.
I'm not even thinking about food safety, which is a real issue.
Just the thought of food being prepped around crud is unappetizing.
Your choice is epoxy or cement based, colored black. I'd probably use
cement, and if didn't work out after some years, I'd grind out the top
3/16" or so and try epoxy. That's not a big job on your countertop.

First, he has to "convince" his wife. Her kitchen, her rules.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 02 Jun 2013 11:57:40 -0700, Oren wrote:

First, he has to "convince" his wife. Her kitchen, her rules.

I plan on cleaning "her" oven at night, when nobody's looking.
I'm gonna hit that "clean" button, and let 'er bake.
In the morning, it will be all clean, and she won't know how.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 3 Jun 2013 00:00:43 +0000 (UTC), Danny D
wrote:

I plan on cleaning "her" oven at night, when nobody's looking.

You better get her permission.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I plan on cleaning "her" oven at night, when nobody's looking.

You better get her permission.

Based on this thread alone... if his wife kills him, it will clearly
be a case of justifiable homicide.
She spend less time in jail than Martha.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Danny D wrote:
On Sun, 02 Jun 2013 11:57:40 -0700, Oren wrote:

First, he has to "convince" his wife. Her kitchen, her
rules.

I plan on cleaning "her" oven at night, when nobody's
looking.
I'm gonna hit that "clean" button, and let 'er bake.
In the morning, it will be all clean, and she won't know
how.

Obviously you never used the clean button before.
It locks the door and heats it up so hot as to *cook* it
clean and it does smell like something is burning

Posted to alt.home.repair

Danny D wrote:
After energizing a bit at breakfast this morning, I decided to
scrape out what I think is "crud" on top of grout on the counter:

As soon as the wife saw me digging away, she wryly reminded me of
all my mistakes from the past, and suggested that I go and find
something to fix anywhere else - but not in "her" kitchen:

She wasn't convinced at all that this is pure crud, not grout:

Isn't it?

You don't need, nor want, to convince the wife of anything.

Remember, if your wife is happy and you're not, you're still happier than if
you were happy and she wasn't.