Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller[_4_] Doug Miller[_4_] is offline

Default Need to convince the wife that it's crud on her countertop (not grout)

Danny D wrote in :

On Wed, 29 May 2013 19:47:01 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:

Looks like grout to me. What makes you think it isn't?

It's soft. It's cruddy.

When compared to a steel screwdriver, grout *is* soft. As for "cruddy"... maybe it wasn't a
very good grout job.

When I scraped it away, a beautiful "V" shaped crevice resulted.

When you're scraping it out with the corner of a screwdriver, what else would you expect??

On the other hand, the "v" crevice isn't flush with the material.

Of course not. You scraped some of the grout out.

BTW, is this granite or fake granite or what? How can I tell?

Try to gouge the granite -- on the underside -- with your screwdriver. If you can, then it's a
synthetic composite material; if the screwdriver gets worn down, it's probably real.