Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default The automatic garage door opener finally is working again

Lots of cool videos on youtube about installing, repairing and
adjusting garage doors. The safety sensors seem to be a common
problem. One of mine had quit working. 40 bucks at Lowes! You can get
them on amazon for around 20 bucks or e-bay, while looking at them at
Amazon in one of the comments,
" if you are handy with a soldering iron, crack open the sensor and
replace the 470micro farad Cap. For just pennies you can repair it
yourself. These caps will dry out over the years, and I fixed mine like
this."
Which is what I did, 1.61 for the capacitor at Radio Shack, it was
longer than the original and I just drilled a hole in the case and let
the end of the capacitor stick out.
For those that are interested,
The sensors generate a signal which has to be received by the main
controller circuit board in the unit. This is why you cannot simply
wire around them,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbmufXgpl14