Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Range elements not working on low settings

Help! I have a smooth top electric range, and all of the surface elements
decided to stop working on the low setting. They all work on the high
settings, but not low. Anyone have any ideas what might be wrong?

P.S.: The range is a Kenmore Elite, with convection oven, about 8-10 years
old. Not sure of the model number

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...gs-749171-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

posted fromhttp://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/range-elements-not-working-o...
using *HomeOwnersHub's *Web, RSS and Social Media Interface
to *home and garden related *groups

No, but if you can find us a circuit schematic someplace
online for that model, we could see what they all have in common.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 20, 4:44*pm, Mary M.
wrote:
Help! I have a smooth top electric range, and all of the surface elements
decided to stop working on the low setting. They all work on the high
settings, but not low. Anyone have any ideas what might be wrong?

P.S.: The range is a Kenmore Elite, with convection oven, about 8-10 years
old. Not sure of the model number

--
posted fromhttp://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/range-elements-not-working-o...
using *HomeOwnersHub's *Web, RSS and Social Media Interface
to *home and garden related *groups

It may be a blown breaker on one of the 120V inputs to the range.
Just a guess, but throw the double circuit breaker at the power panel
for the stove to "Off", and then throw it back to "On", and let us
know what happens if anything. The fact that all the LOW postions are
bad means it has to be something common to the whole stove, and the
input power lines are suspect. It could also possible be an open
neutral line, but that seems less likely.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 20, 5:44*pm, Mary M.
wrote:
Help! I have a smooth top electric range, and all of the surface elements
decided to stop working on the low setting. They all work on the high
settings, but not low. Anyone have any ideas what might be wrong?

did they all stop working AT ABOUT THE SAME TIME, or was it one by one
over a longer period of time?

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 20, 9:07*pm, "
wrote:
On May 20, 4:44*pm, Mary M.

wrote:
Help! I have a smooth top electric range, and all of the surface elements
decided to stop working on the low setting. They all work on the high
settings, but not low. Anyone have any ideas what might be wrong?

P.S.: The range is a Kenmore Elite, with convection oven, about 8-10 years
old. Not sure of the model number

--
posted fromhttp://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/range-elements-not-working-o...
using *HomeOwnersHub's *Web, RSS and Social Media Interface
to *home and garden related *groups

It may be a blown breaker on one of the 120V inputs to the range.

Those breakers are double and connected. If one leg
opens, so does the other. Plus, if one side was open,
you would not get any heat, certainly not high heat,
because they are 240V. They modulate the heat by
turning the 240V power on and off.

Just a guess, but throw the double circuit breaker at the power panel
for the stove to "Off", and then throw it back to "On", and let us
know what happens if anything. *The fact that all the LOW postions are
bad means it has to be something common to the whole stove, and the
input power lines are suspect. *It could also possible be an open
neutral line, but that seems less likely.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 21, 10:38*am, "
wrote:
On May 20, 9:07*pm, "

wrote:
On May 20, 4:44*pm, Mary M.

wrote:
[...]

neutral line, but that seems less likely.- Hide quoted text -

Yes, for the newer stoves, but we don't know how old the stove is.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 21, 10:38*am, "
wrote:
On May 20, 9:07*pm, "

wrote:
On May 20, 4:44*pm, Mary M.

wrote:
[...]

Sometimes the breaker opens one side but does not cause the other side
to open, I've seen it happen more than once in 77 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 21, 9:44*pm, Mary M
wrote:
replying to , Mary M wrote:

hrhofmann *wrote:
It may be a blown breaker on one of the 120V inputs to the range.
Just a guess, but throw the double circuit breaker at the power panel
for the stove to "Off", and then throw it back to "On", and
let us
know what happens if anything. *The fact that all the LOW postions are
bad means it has to be something common to the whole stove, and the
input power lines are suspect. *It could also possible be an open
neutral line, but that seems less likely.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried throwing the breaker, and it didn't
work. Do you have any other suggestions?

--
posted fromhttp://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/range-elements-not-working-o...
using *HomeOwnersHub's *Web, RSS and Social Media Interface
to *home and garden related *groups

OK -Sorry that didn't make any difference.

Now, we need a make and model number for the stove if you want further
ideas.