Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Deck Footers curing time

We just poured four 44" X 12" footers for our deck and are waiting for the
cement to cure. How long before I can start building the deck on these
new footers?

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...me-748773-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dale Paul wrote:
We just poured four 44" X 12" footers for our deck and are waiting for the
cement to cure. How long before I can start building the deck on these
new footers?

Are you using galvanized mounting pads? If your giving hard lateral thrust,
I'd give it a few days.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

posted fromhttp://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/deck-footers-curing-time-748...
using *HomeOwnersHub's *Web, RSS and Social Media Interface
to *home and garden related *groups

Surfing the internet googling for "concrete curing times" brings up 5
- 7 days for close to maximum strength. Google it yourself as there
are many variables that influence timing, and you have given us
nothing to base estimates on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 May 2013 00:44:02 +0000, Dale Paul
wrote:

We just poured four 44" X 12" footers for our deck and are waiting for the
cement to cure. How long before I can start building the deck on these
new footers?

I've seen it done the next day.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 16, 7:08*pm, "
wrote:
On May 16, 7:44*pm, Dale Paul

wrote:
We just poured four 44" X 12" footers for our deck and are waiting for the
cement to cure. *How long before I can start building the deck on these

SNIP
Surfing the internet googling for "concrete curing times" brings up 5
- 7 days for close to maximum strength. *Google it yourself as there
are many variables that influence timing, and you have given us
nothing to base estimates on.

I don't know what source you're quoting but IME....
the numbers we used to use were
~1 day 25%
~5 days 50%
~10 days 75%
"nominal full design strength" is assumed at 28 day but concrete
continues to gain strength at a very reduced rate for a long time.

http://www.ce.memphis.edu/1101/notes...roperties.html

As long as you don't abuse the green concrete you can build the next
day.
When it's green (less than a week) it is especially susceptible to
damage caused by tensile loading.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

We just poured four 44" X 12" footers for our deck and are waiting for the
cement to cure. How long before I can start building the deck on these
new footers?

I've seen it done the next day.

Yep, so have I, but if it was mine, I'd wait at least a week. Be sure
to hose the concrete after the 2nd day too. Keeping it moist adds
strength.

Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

We just poured four 44" X 12" footers for our deck and are waiting for the
cement to cure. How long before I can start building the deck on these
new footers?

I've seen it done the next day.

We poured 3 pads for columns. While it cured, we hung the ledger board
for the roof, bought a beam and lumber, etc (lags & hangers). Had a
beverage.

That gave me a day or two for the pads...

The Hoover Dam is still curing?
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Hoover Dam is still curing?

supposedly so, its a forever thing given its size. miniscule increases
in strngth

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 May 2013 10:35:27 -0700 (PDT), bob haller

The Hoover Dam is still curing?

supposedly so, its a forever thing given its size. miniscule increases
in strngth

Not really a forever thing. Estimates may be 700 years for the heat to
stop. Cooling pipes were built in the structure, to speed the
process.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 May 2013 12:57:36 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Sun, 19 May 2013 10:35:27 -0700 (PDT), bob haller

The Hoover Dam is still curing?

supposedly so, its a forever thing given its size. miniscule increases
in strngth

Not really a forever thing. Estimates may be 700 years for the heat to
stop. Cooling pipes were built in the structure, to speed the
process.

Are they still actively cooling it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 19, 5:14*pm, wrote:
On Sun, 19 May 2013 12:57:36 -0700, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 19 May 2013 10:35:27 -0700 (PDT), bob haller

The Hoover Dam is still curing?

supposedly so, its a forever thing given its size. miniscule increases
in strngth

Not really a forever thing. Estimates may be 700 years for the heat to
stop. *Cooling pipes were built in the structure, to speed the
process.

Are they still actively cooling it?

no that only lasted a few years, with such a large concrete structure
it could of overheated and damaged the concrete
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 May 2013 16:52:02 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

On May 19, 5:14*pm, wrote:
On Sun, 19 May 2013 12:57:36 -0700, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 19 May 2013 10:35:27 -0700 (PDT), bob haller

The Hoover Dam is still curing?

supposedly so, its a forever thing given its size. miniscule increases
in strngth

Not really a forever thing. Estimates may be 700 years for the heat to
stop. *Cooling pipes were built in the structure, to speed the
process.

Are they still actively cooling it?

no that only lasted a few years, with such a large concrete structure
it could of overheated and damaged the concrete

Sure but Oren made it sound like it was still an issue. Thanks for
the clarification.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 May 2013 17:14:55 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 19 May 2013 12:57:36 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Sun, 19 May 2013 10:35:27 -0700 (PDT), bob haller

The Hoover Dam is still curing?

supposedly so, its a forever thing given its size. miniscule increases
in strngth

Not really a forever thing. Estimates may be 700 years for the heat to
stop. Cooling pipes were built in the structure, to speed the
process.

Are they still actively cooling it?

No. Um, I was incorrect about the years to cool.

"...As the dam began to rise to fill the canyon, it grew in fits and
starts. Rather than being a single block of concrete, the dam was
built as a series of individual columns. Trapezoidal in shape, the
columns rose in five foot lifts. The reason that the dam was built in
this fashion was to allow the tremendous heat produced by the curing
concrete to dissipate. Bureau of Reclamation engineers calculated that
if the dam were built in a single continuous pour, the concrete would
have gotten so hot that it would have taken 125 years for the concrete
to cool to ambient temperatures. The resulting stresses would have
caused the dam to crack and crumble away.

It was not enough to place small quantities of concrete in individual
columns. Each form also contained cooling coils of 1" thin-walled
steel pipe. When the concrete was first poured, river water was
circulated through these pipes. Once the concrete had received a first
initial cooling, chilled water from a refrigeration plant on the lower
cofferdam was circulated through the coils to finish the cooling. As
each block was cooled, the pipes of the cooling coils were cut off and
pressure grouted at 300 pounds per square inch by pneumatic grout
guns."

[...]

"... If the heat produced by the curing concrete could have been
concentrated in a baking oven, it would have been sufficient to bake
500,000 loaves of bread per day for three years."

http://www.usbr.gov/lc/hooverdam/History/essays/concrete.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 May 2013 07:54:49 -0700, Oren wrote:

"... If the heat produced by the curing concrete could have been
concentrated in a baking oven, it would have been sufficient to bake
500,000 loaves of bread per day for three years."

http://www.usbr.gov/lc/hooverdam/History/essays/concrete.html

Concrete should be outlawed to prevent global warming. Its for the
children.

We need organic dams.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 20, 9:34*pm, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Concrete should be outlawed to prevent global warming. Its for the
children.

We need organic dams.

Made entirely of politicians.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 May 2013 19:44:49 -0700 (PDT), spammer
wrote:

On May 20, 9:34*pm, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Concrete should be outlawed to prevent global warming. Its for the
children.

We need organic dams.

Made entirely of politicians.

Dam politicians, damn politicians, or damned politicians?
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

We just poured four 44" X 12" footers for our deck and are waiting for the

cement to cure. How long before I can start building the deck on these

new footers?

I've seen it done the next day.

We poured 3 pads for columns. While it cured, we hung the ledger board

for the roof, bought a beam and lumber, etc (lags & hangers). Had a

beverage.

That gave me a day or two for the pads...

The Hoover Dam is still curing?

If you watch most pros around here build a deck they will put in temporary posts to hold the frame up while they build it. And install the permanent 6x6 posts last pouring the concrete around them in the holes. That lets you get the level exactly right before pouring concrete. And having the post extend into the concrete greatly increases lateral strength.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 May 2013 08:54:11 -0700 (PDT), jamesgang
wrote:

If you watch most pros around here build a deck they will put in temporary posts to hold the frame up while they build it. And install the permanent 6x6 posts last pouring the concrete around them in the holes. That lets you get the level exactly right before pouring concrete. And having the post extend into the concrete greatly increases lateral strength.

And it helps them rot faster when the water gets around them. Mine
are above the concrete on metal supports. Still good after 35+ years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

If you watch most pros around here build a deck they will put in temporary posts to hold the frame up while they build it. And install the permanent 6x6 posts last pouring the concrete around them in the holes. That lets you get the level exactly right before pouring concrete. And having the post extend into the concrete greatly increases lateral strength.

And it helps them rot faster when the water gets around them. Mine
are above the concrete on metal supports. Still good after 35+ years.

I was thinking the OP was using above ground supports. Don't know why.

The pads I poured for columns have galv. Simpson Strong Ties for the
vertical lumber. I built above the minimum permit code.

Not a single crack in the stucco, ceiling or otherwise...

They ain't moved yet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

If you watch most pros around here build a deck they will put in temporary posts to hold the frame up while they build it. And install the permanent 6x6 posts last pouring the concrete around them in the holes. That lets you get the level exactly right before pouring concrete. And having the post extend into the concrete greatly increases lateral strength.

And it helps them rot faster when the water gets around them. Mine
are above the concrete on metal supports. Still good after 35+ years.

Yes, if the concrete is going around the posts the posts should go
completely through to, preferably, stone. If concrete is used on
fence posts, they too should stick all the way through the slug of
concrete.