Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Turnbuckle

How much distance should I allow so I can use a turnbuckle to stretch the ends of a wire rope taut? (Each end of the cable is looped with wire-rope clamps).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 2, 4:14*pm, gary wrote:
How much distance should I allow so I can use a turnbuckle to stretch the ends of a wire rope taut? *(Each end of the cable is looped with wire-rope clamps).

That would seem to depend on the size of the turnbuckle.
They come in sizes from teensie weensie to huge.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, May 2, 2013 4:14:34 PM UTC-4, gary wrote:
How much distance should I allow so I can use a turnbuckle to stretch the ends of a wire rope taut? (Each end of the cable is looped with wire-rope clamps).

Usually you get the cable as tight as you can assembling it with the turnbuckle expanded. Then tighten the turnbuckle until you have the tautness you desire.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 2 May 2013 13:14:34 -0700 (PDT), gary
wrote in Re
Turnbuckle:

How much distance should I allow so I can use a turnbuckle to stretch the ends of a wire rope taut? (Each end of the cable is looped with wire-rope clamps).

Extend the turnbuckle to about 90% if it's length. Then pull the wire
rope as taught as you can by hand and clamp.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
gary wrote:
How much distance should I allow so I can use a turnbuckle to stretch
the ends of a wire rope taut? (Each end of the cable is looped with
wire-rope clamps).

About as long as a piece of string.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/02/2013 01:14 PM, gary wrote:
How much distance should I allow so I can use a turnbuckle to stretch
the ends of a wire rope taut? (Each end of the cable is looped with

wire-rope clamps).

How long is a piece of string?

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/3/13 12:51 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:
On 05/02/2013 01:14 PM, gary wrote:
How much distance should I allow so I can use a turnbuckle to stretch
the ends of a wire rope taut? (Each end of the cable is looped with

wire-rope clamps).

How long is a piece of string?

Jon

Twice as long as half of it, of course.