Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default Keeping ants off fruit trees/Bayer Boltac Grease Bands

I knew that I recalled a device for keeping ants off of fruit trees, but
the person at Home Depot who knows everything about gardening (the old
guy who used to work at a Japanese nursery) said there was nothing).

The device is this
http://www.bayergarden.co.uk/en/data/Products/b/Boltac-Greasebands.aspx but
they aren't sold in the U.S. (though you can order them from the U.K.).

Does anyone know how these are constructed and how to make your own?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/29/2013 11:25 PM, sms wrote:
I knew that I recalled a device for keeping ants off of fruit trees, but
the person at Home Depot who knows everything about gardening (the old
guy who used to work at a Japanese nursery) said there was nothing).

The device is this
http://www.bayergarden.co.uk/en/data/Products/b/Boltac-Greasebands.aspx but
they aren't sold in the U.S. (though you can order them from the U.K.).

Does anyone know how these are constructed and how to make your own?

Is the product supposed to stop garden headaches? ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2013-04-30, sms wrote:

http://www.bayergarden.co.uk/en/data/Products/b/Boltac-Greasebands.aspx but

Do as your conscience allows, but be aware that Bayer (yes, that
Bayer) is the company making and selling neonicotine, the insecticide
finally determined to be behind the killing off of huge bee
populations. They're right up there with Monsanto as one of the great
Satans of the chemical industry.

Jes thought I'd mention it.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

"sms" wrote in message

I knew that I recalled a device for keeping ants off of fruit trees, but
the person at Home Depot who knows everything about gardening (the old guy
who used to work at a Japanese nursery) said there was nothing).

The device is this
http://www.bayergarden.co.uk/en/data/Products/b/Boltac-Greasebands.aspx
but they aren't sold in the U.S. (though you can order them from the
U.K.).

Does anyone know how these are constructed and how to make your own?

The web page claims this sticky band uses "Non-drying adhesive, pesticide
free."
Sticky bands were widely used in England in the 1950s, probably made the
same way as fly paper (coiled sticky strips such as hung in farm kitchens,
common in a country that had no screened windows.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 4/30/2013 4:49 AM, Don Phillipson wrote:
"sms" wrote in message

I knew that I recalled a device for keeping ants off of fruit trees, but
the person at Home Depot who knows everything about gardening (the old guy
who used to work at a Japanese nursery) said there was nothing).

The device is this
http://www.bayergarden.co.uk/en/data/Products/b/Boltac-Greasebands.aspx
but they aren't sold in the U.S. (though you can order them from the
U.K.).

Does anyone know how these are constructed and how to make your own?

The web page claims this sticky band uses "Non-drying adhesive, pesticide
free."
Sticky bands were widely used in England in the 1950s, probably made the
same way as fly paper (coiled sticky strips such as hung in farm kitchens,
common in a country that had no screened windows.)

I think that the adhesive refers to how it sticks to the tree trunk.
According to the MSDS it's just grease that prevents the ants from
getting through.

One guy suggested tightly tying a rag around the tree and then soaking
it with insecticide. This might work but you have to keep replacing the
insecticide.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/29/2013 11:25 PM, sms wrote:
I knew that I recalled a device for keeping ants off of fruit trees,
but the person at Home Depot who knows everything about gardening (the
old guy who used to work at a Japanese nursery) said there was nothing).

The device is this
http://www.bayergarden.co.uk/en/data/Products/b/Boltac-Greasebands.aspx
but they aren't sold in the U.S. (though you can order them from the
U.K.).

Does anyone know how these are constructed and how to make your own?

Just use this. Take a putty knife and spread a narrow band of it
around the tree trunk:

Tree Tanglefoot - 15 oz Tub
http://www.amazon.com/Tanglefoot-300.../dp/B000BWY3AA

Tanglefoot's a semi-solid concotion of vegetable wax and castor oil.
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 4/30/2013 6:33 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
On 4/29/2013 11:25 PM, sms wrote:
I knew that I recalled a device for keeping ants off of fruit trees,
but the person at Home Depot who knows everything about gardening (the
old guy who used to work at a Japanese nursery) said there was nothing).

The device is this
http://www.bayergarden.co.uk/en/data/Products/b/Boltac-Greasebands.aspx
but they aren't sold in the U.S. (though you can order them from the
U.K.).

Does anyone know how these are constructed and how to make your own?

Just use this. Take a putty knife and spread a narrow band of it around
the tree trunk:

Tree Tanglefoot - 15 oz Tub
http://www.amazon.com/Tanglefoot-300.../dp/B000BWY3AA

Tanglefoot's a semi-solid concotion of vegetable wax and castor oil.

Thanks, that's what I'll do. I put some Vaseline around the trunk last
night but this sounds better.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"sms" wrote in message
I knew that I recalled a device for keeping ants off of fruit trees, but
the person at Home Depot who knows everything about gardening (the old guy
who used to work at a Japanese nursery) said there was nothing).

The device is this
http://www.bayergarden.co.uk/en/data/Products/b/Boltac-Greasebands.aspx
but they aren't sold in the U.S. (though you can order them from the
U.K.).

Does anyone know how these are constructed and how to make your own?

Google is your friend
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=518