Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Attach cabinet to wall (earthquake)

My cabinet is 7 ft tall by 4 ft wide and 1 ft deep.

The front and sides are glass and the back is mirrored.
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/...psdc1adaca.jpg

Decorative wood molding runs along the front and two sides -- but not on the back -- of the top of the cabinet.
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/...ps784094bd.jpg

How can I bolt the cabinet to the wall so the cabinet doesn't fall over in an earthquake?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 14:19:46 -0700 (PDT), gary
wrote:

My cabinet is 7 ft tall by 4 ft wide and 1 ft deep.

The front and sides are glass and the back is mirrored.
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/...psdc1adaca.jpg

Decorative wood molding runs along the front and two sides -- but not on the back -- of the top of the cabinet.
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/...ps784094bd.jpg

How can I bolt the cabinet to the wall so the cabinet doesn't fall over in an earthquake?

Install an "L" bracket or two on top of the unit, secured into to wall
studs. If the wall crumbles in an "earthquake", I doubt this will work
well. It helps with young "curtain climbers" - children of a young
age, though, so the unit doesn't fall over on them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Gary,

The cleats on the top which back the molding look to be substantial and
well screwed to the top. Some sort of attachment hardware on the cleats,
wall anchors, then some wire between the wall and the cleats.
How big an earthquake do you expect?

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 27, 2:19*pm, gary wrote:
My cabinet is 7 ft tall by 4 ft wide and 1 ft deep.

The front and sides are glass and the back is mirrored.http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/...1050293_zpsdc1...

Decorative wood molding runs along the front and two sides -- but not on the back -- of the top of the cabinet.http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/...0294_zps784094...

How can I bolt the cabinet to the wall so the cabinet doesn't fall over in an earthquake?

Gary-

The number one thing you want to prevent is the cabinet toppling over.
Toppling is the first failure mode for tall narrow pieces.

The next issue is how the contents will behave during the e/q.

Simple / cheap ....two angle brackets like Simpson A21 or A23.
Attach to the hidden top deck of the cabinet and the farthest apart
wall studs.
Use screws long enough to get at least 1-1/2" grip in stud preferably
more

More expensive but a lot sturdier ....
use an aluminum angle with a leg long enough to give the screws some
edge distance on the cabinet top.
The overall length of the pieces should be as long at the cabinet top.
Screw to every stud available.

Posted to alt.home.repair

gary wrote:
My cabinet is 7 ft tall by 4 ft wide and 1 ft deep.

The front and sides are glass and the back is mirrored.
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/...psdc1adaca.jpg

Decorative wood molding runs along the front and two sides -- but not
on the back -- of the top of the cabinet.
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/...ps784094bd.jpg

How can I bolt the cabinet to the wall so the cabinet doesn't fall
over in an earthquake?

You could screw a length of 2x4 to the wall, into studs, tight against the
top of the cabinet. The cabinet trim will hide it. It could also be
screwed to the cabinet top as well as the wall but that isn't needed

--

dadiOH