DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Finally an alternative to incandescents? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/355703-finally-alternative-incandescents.html)

Nate Nagel April 26th 13 12:00 PM

Finally an alternative to incandescents?

I've been interested in finding a more acceptable solution to indoor
lighting than the usual spiral CFLs for a while now, yesterday I was
researching LED light bulbs as I was actually repairing an outdoor post
light (and am trying a 4W LED in it, although I don't think it's bright
enough for the application) and found this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-1...0#BVRRWidgetID

which is available at select (read: almost none) Home Depots but the
secret is that if you can find them, they're apparently subsidized by
local utilities or something to about $15 apiece, not the $50 listed on
the web site. A store about 50 miles away from me had a stock of them
however and I have a friend who works in that area so I imposed on him
to get me a couple.

I have a feeling I need more of these. They have a CRI of 92 (normal
CFLs and most LEDs are in the 70-80 range) Surprisingly, HD does not
even mention CRI at all in their description of this product although to
me it's a bigger deal than the efficiency. However if you research the
L-prize you'll find that a CRI of 90 was one of the conditions. They
also turn on instantly, and are actually bright. Well, almost instantly
- there's a very brief but noticable delay between flipping the switch
and getting light. It's really the one way you can tell that you're not
turning on an incandescent bulb but something more complicated and
electronic. I remember when we didn't try to skimp on light bulb size
and actually lit up a room, but since switching to CFLs it's hard to get
enough light in some spaces. Two of these 10W bulbs are definitely
brighter than the single 40W CFL with which I was trying to light up a
difficult room (dark paneling, main lighting from a torchiere with a
dark colored shade that reflects most of the light up, would have been
acceptable with a 200+ watt 3-way incandescent which is what it was
obviously designed for, but nothing else produced acceptable light) and
there's none of that annoying brightness ramp-up that you get from CFLs.

One thing that I have not tested with these bulbs is dimming ability.
Supposedly it works, but some dimmers will buzz and hum. But if you
don't have dimmers, don't have fully enclosed light fixtures, and don't
mind (or can't see in your application) the odd shape/color of the bulb
when unlit, there's really nothing at all I can find fault with.

Best part - this bulb is actually assembled in the USA, and apparently
the LEDs used are made in the USA as well!

This may be old news for some as apparently they've been available @ HD
at the discounted price for about a month now, but I figured this was
worth posting because a) I don't go into HD that often and b) even if I
did, none of the stores local to me carry this bulb so if I hadn't gone
looking for it online I would not have known that it was actually
available (and if someone hadn't mentioned to check the price, the $50
price listed on HD's web site would have put me off...)

Hope this helps someone...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Nate Nagel April 26th 13 12:05 PM

On 04/26/2013 07:00 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

Forgot to add... the really amusing thing about this bulb is the
packaging. Philips hits a home run with this product which will likely
primarily appeal to eco-weenies and people who actually geek out over
things like light bulbs... and yet the packaging is that awful heat
sealed clamshell plastic, and about 3x as large as it needs to be. I
can't imagine any packaging more annoying, or, here's the ironic bit,
less eco-friendly...

nate

Bob_Villa April 26th 13 12:31 PM

Finally an alternative to incandescents?

Thanks Nate...all LED's tend to be like buying "a pig in a poke"!

Mitt Romley[_2_] April 26th 13 01:45 PM

On 4/26/2013 7:05 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:
Forgot to add... the really amusing thing about this bulb is the
packaging. Philips hits a home run with this product which will likely
primarily appeal to eco-weenies and people who actually geek out over
things like light bulbs... and yet the packaging is that awful heat
sealed clamshell plastic, and about 3x as large as it needs to be.

You can thank the democrats for today's clam-shell packaging. You see,
lazy Democrats are used to free government handouts like free cell
phones, free housing and of course the WIC program. But the government
has failed them a bit. There is no free light bulb program so the lazy
democraps have to go to Lowes Depot and steal them.

Maybe we need a USF type fund for light bulbs?

[email protected][_2_] April 26th 13 02:06 PM

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-1...Soft-White-270...

[...]

What $50 price? The link you provided to the HD website had
them for $15.

Hope this helps someone...

nate

--

Yes, good to know. At some point I guess I'll try buying one.
My experience with CFL's though makes me hesitant. Even now

A: They put out nice light

B: They will last long enough to recover your money.

Has anyone seen any independent testing that supports b?

Nate Nagel April 26th 13 02:46 PM

On 04/26/2013 09:06 AM, wrote:
[...]

I just went back and clicked on my own link; the "online price" (except
you can't even buy it online, it's a "store exclusive" product) is
$49.97 each for me. Maybe HD is adjusting the pricing based on
location? Perhaps in your location they are actually readily available
in stores at the lower price? I have no idea...

The Wikipedia article on high-CRI LEDs is actually where I discovered
that HD was selling them, see the footnote at the bottom of the A19 section.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_CRI_LED_Lighting

Hope this helps someone...

nate

--

Yes, good to know. At some point I guess I'll try buying one. My
experience with CFL's though makes me hesitant. Even now the results
from one brand to another or even within the same brand a year later
are not consistent. These are even more expensive, so you really
have to believe that

A: They put out nice light

In my opinion they do... of course today is only day two of use, but I
am consistently noticing the difference when I go into the room where
they're installed; it was annoying as there is no ceiling fixture in
that room and it's naturally dark so the lighting in that room comes
from a floor lamp on a wall switch as I mentioned above. In that
particular room, the only really good solution previously would have
been a 200W plus incandescent and my inner granola munching hippie was
offended by that solution. I used a socket extension and a one-to-two
socket Y-adapter to stuff two of my Philips LED bulbs in that light, and
for a total of 20W worth of LEDs the total light is perhaps slightly
less than I would prefer if energy consumption was not a consideration
at all but it is definitely superior in every way to the 40W CFL that I
was previously using, most notably the ramp up time (it seems like the
brighter the CFL, or if it is enclosed in a globe for outdoor use or
decorative bath fixtures, the more likely the CFL is to have a
noticeable and annoying ramp up.) Combined with my third Philips LED
bulb on a table lamp, the room is acceptably lit and it feels like a
luxury to have a similar quality of light as I remember having as a kid
before we worried about stuff like this.

I thought about using the Y-adapter idea with two of the more common 13W
CFLs because my guess was even that would have been a better solution
than the 40W CFL but never actually got around to doing it.

Remember once upon a time when it was recommended to use 150W bulbs or
higher in a table lamp next to the chair you'd sit in to spend some
quality time with a book to reduce eye strain? I do...

B: They will last long enough to recover your money.

Has anyone seen any independent testing that supports b?

It seems like they will...

http://www.lightingprize.org/

http://www.lightingprize.org/60watttest.stm

In June 2010, the next stage of evaluation began: long-term lumen
maintenance testing. The 200 samples were sent to Pacific Northwest
National Laboratory to be tested in a new high-temperature testing
apparatus specifically designed for the L Prize competition and built
with assistance from Orb Optronix. The test bed was maintained at
45°C to simulate actual operating conditions and the lamps were
operated continuously. A movable integrating sphere (light
measurement device) took spectral measurements on each lamp every 100
hours for the first 3,000 hours of operation, and every 168 hours
(weekly) thereafter. Data for the first 7,000 hours of operation were
used to predict lumen maintenance of the lamps at 25,000 hours. With
95 percent confidence, lumen maintenance is predicted to be 97.1
percent* at 25,000 hours, which significantly exceeds the 70 percent
L Prize requirement.

So apparently all samples were proven to last at least 7K hours without
failure; it's apparently too soon to say whether they'll actually last
25K hours plus or not but it's not looking bad.

I know it sounds like I'm really pushing these bulbs but I'm not
affiliated with Philips or DoE in any way, I'm just a consumer who's
discovered a product that I really like and am kind of excited about. I
wouldn't pay $50 for one of these bulbs, mostly because I don't have the
money to be shelling out $50 for the equivalent of something that I can
buy for $2 give or take (in the form of a traditional incandescent) but
at $15 you can make the argument that it will save money on air
conditioning and electrical power, plus then you don't have to feel the
guilt of running big incandescents - not that I have in years; at my
last house the only incandescents were in seldom used hallways and in
the living room and kitchen where there were dimmer switches and I could
not find any acceptable more efficient solution (and yes, I have to
admit, I did feel somewhat guilty about those...)

I'm also a little surprised that this is a Philips product. My money
would have been on Cree a few years ago, but it appears that the
commonly available Cree incandescent light bulb replacements don't have
either the efficiency or CRI of the Philips bulb. I haven't seen any of
them in operation so I can't comment how they stack up subjectively, but
they're about $13 retail, dimmer, and have lower CRI (similar to the
common Philips LED "bulbs" that are actually easy to obtain) and a quick
google did not yield data on where they're made, so I'm just ASSuming
China. So unless someone who's spent more time geeking out on this
subject than I has data to the contrary, my (non-professional) opinion
is that it's worth a little extra effort to search out the Philips
L-prize bulb in particular. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the
Cree and older Philips LEDs were still subjectively more pleasing than a
typical CFL. I have a Utilitech 9W LED bulb that I bought last year
when Lowe's had them on sale for $9 or so just out of curiosity, and I
do find it preferable to CFLs and will continue to use it - but I'm sure
that the CRI is probably around 80 and its color temp is a little higher
than many people would probably like.

While I'm rambling on on the subject, I'm tempted to try to hack
together an adapter that will allow two bulbs to act like a 3-way
incandescent, because the very lamp that prompted that geekery is a
3-way socket and they seem to still be very common, especially for table
lamps which may be used for both ambient light and also reading. It
wouldn't actually work exactly like a 3-way as I'd be using two bulbs of
equivalent light output rather than one appx. twice as bright as the
other, but I hope that that changes in the future (or, if CRI is less
important to you, you could use some of the Cree bulbs or older design
Philips bulbs which are available in multiple lumen ratings.) Or maybe
in a few years we'll be able to get high quality, high output 3-way LED
bulbs? I can only hope so.

nate

[email protected][_2_] April 26th 13 02:59 PM

On Apr 26, 9:46*am, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 04/26/2013 09:06 AM, wrote:

[...]

That's interesting. It shows up as $14.95 here. Technically you can
also buy it online but you have to pick it up at the store. Try a NJ
zipocode, 07753,
and see what price you get.

--

Yes, good to know. *At some point I guess I'll try buying one. My
experience with CFL's though makes me hesitant. *Even now the results
from one brand to another or even within the same brand a year later
are not consistent. *These are even more expensive, so you really
have to believe that

A: They put out nice light

[...]

Yes, I hear you. If there is something that puts out the nice
quality light that you can get from an incandescent, but uses
a tiny amount of electricity, less heat, and lasts long enough
for payback I'd be buying them......

There is another factor, which I learned from my experience
with CFL. Let's say these last 10 or 15 years. A year or two
from now, for whatever reason, one fails. With CFL
by then they were different, that particular one was no longer
available. So, you go to the store and you couldn't figure out,
which if any of them would match the light, warm up time, etc
of the ones you already had. Not a problem for a table lamp,
but if you have 8 of them in recessed lights, at $15, it's a problem.
It's gotten better as time goes on, but it's still like a science
experiment when you need to get one that matches.

Nate Nagel April 26th 13 03:24 PM

On 04/26/2013 09:06 AM, wrote:

On Apr 26, 7:00 am, Nate Nagel wrote:

snip

[...]

That must be it, subsidies by location.

I'm in VA and the $49.97 price comes up. I set "my store" to the one
nearest my parents in PA and it is also $49.97. Then I tried Florham
Park, NJ (first NJ city that popped into my head) and picked the closest
store, suddenly price is $14.97. So I'm guessing that if I were
actually able to find a store in VA that had some in stock, they would
be priced at $49.97? Don't know, there's not any stores w/in 50 miles
of me that is also located in VA that has any in stock, so I can't try
to order for in-store pickup so I can see what the pricing is.

Lesson: if you live in VA or PA, get someone from MD or NJ to buy you
some of these and send them to you? (unless like me you live near a
state border)

nate

Bob F April 26th 13 03:36 PM

Mitt Romley wrote:
On 4/26/2013 7:05 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:
Forgot to add... the really amusing thing about this bulb is the
packaging. Philips hits a home run with this product which will
likely primarily appeal to eco-weenies and people who actually geek
out over things like light bulbs... and yet the packaging is that
awful heat sealed clamshell plastic, and about 3x as large as it
needs to be.

You can thank the democrats for today's clam-shell packaging. You
see, lazy Democrats are used to free government handouts like free
cell phones, free housing and of course the WIC program. But the
government has failed them a bit. There is no free light bulb
program so the lazy democraps have to go to Lowes Depot and steal
them.

LOL! It's hard to believe how wacko the rightards have gotten.

Nate Nagel April 26th 13 03:37 PM

On 04/26/2013 09:59 AM, wrote:

Yes, I hear you. If there is something that puts out the nice
quality light that you can get from an incandescent, but uses
a tiny amount of electricity, less heat, and lasts long enough
for payback I'd be buying them......

There is another factor, which I learned from my experience
with CFL. Let's say these last 10 or 15 years. A year or two
from now, for whatever reason, one fails. With CFL
by then they were different, that particular one was no longer
available. So, you go to the store and you couldn't figure out,
which if any of them would match the light, warm up time, etc
of the ones you already had. Not a problem for a table lamp,
but if you have 8 of them in recessed lights, at $15, it's a problem.
It's gotten better as time goes on, but it's still like a science
experiment when you need to get one that matches.

Not a concern for me, as I don't have any can lights. But you do raise
a valid point.

To me, that's another good argument for geeking out and trying to find
the best product that you can for the money (something that I've been
accused of doing before, and certainly am guilty of in many cases.)

nate

nestork April 26th 13 03:45 PM

I think the biggest selling point of these LED bulbs is that they're dimmable, and they're instant-on like incandescents. You don't have to wait a minute for the light output to rise.

But, the economics are an uphill battle for them.

Converting to CFL's was a no-brainer when they first came out because even at their $7 per bulb price tag, they'd save you 80% on your electricity, and that made them pay for themselves in a relatively short period of time.

Now, unless there's a government subsidy involved, paying even $15 extra to save an additional 3 watts is economically difficult. In a house with 20 light bulbs, $300 is a lot of money to invest in them, whereas 60 watts isn't a lot of savings to justify the investment. It's not even economically attractive to replace incandescents with LED's when the option of replacing them with CFL's is open to you.

I expect some people will buy these LED bulbs for dining rooms where they want the dimmability, but other than that the transition from CFL's to LED's is gonna be a slow one... until the price of LED bulbs drops to within a buck or two of CFLs. Unfortunately, the price won't drop until they start being mass produced, and that's not going to happen until they're economically competitive with CFL's and, except for a C-change in technology, that's not going to happen until the price drops.
Your classic Catch-22.

willshak April 26th 13 03:50 PM

[...]

Well, the plastic and cardboard are recyclable for those who care about
that sort of thing.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Pete C. April 26th 13 04:35 PM

Nate Nagel wrote:

What $50 price? The link you provided to the HD website had them for
$15.

I just went back and clicked on my own link; the "online price" (except
you can't even buy it online, it's a "store exclusive" product) is
$49.97 each for me. Maybe HD is adjusting the pricing based on
location? Perhaps in your location they are actually readily available
in stores at the lower price? I have no idea...

The electric utility price subsidies vary from state to state and
sometimes even in different areas within a state. Some places will have
no subsidies and some will have substantial ones. Find where the best
ones are and make a day trip to buy your lamps on some other utility's
dime :)

Pete C. April 26th 13 05:12 PM

nestork wrote:

[...]

Remember that these LED lamps have 30,000+ hour life, so even compared
to your old $1 incandescents with 750 hour life the cost isn't worse,
it's just front loaded (30,000/750=40 i.e. 40 incandescents for the same
span as 1 LED). So if you are paying even $40/lamp you are at break even
just on lamp cost. The LG LEDs I'm using and quite happy with cost me
$9ea so I'm way ahead on base lamp cost, and much further ahead on power
savings as well as not having to replace them for a decade or two.

Nate Nagel April 26th 13 05:22 PM

On 04/26/2013 10:50 AM, willshak wrote:
[...]

Yabbut what would be so wrong with a simple folded cardboard box like
regular old light bulbs have been sold in for ages? We've been
recycling paper for a lot longer than we've been doing plastic, and not
all areas have plastic recycling.

nate

Frank[_17_] April 26th 13 05:23 PM

[...]

I guess if you're paying $50 for a light bulb you want first class
packaging.

Anybody that does the math will know that CFL's are most cost efficient.

Pete C. April 26th 13 05:24 PM

Frank wrote:

[...]

You flubbed your math then.

Assumptions:

40W equivalent lamps (what I have data handy for)
Power $0.10/kWh
Incandescent lamp $1
CFL lamp $3
LED lamp $10 (the $50 Phillips may be the latest, greatest, but most
LEDs are a lot less expensive)

Incandescent: $1 lamp, 750hr life, 40W power consumption = $0.0053
per hour
($1/750)+((40/1000)*$0.10)

CFL: $3 lamp, 8,000hr life, 14W power consumption = $0.0018
per hour
($3/8000)+((14/1000)*$0.10)

LED: $10 lamp, 30,000hr life, 7.5W power consumption = $0.0011
per hour
($10/30000)+((7.5/1000)*$0.10)

So LED lamps are about 20% cheaper than CFL

Nate Nagel April 26th 13 05:24 PM

On 04/26/2013 10:45 AM, nestork wrote:
[...]

BUT if I needed to purchase some sort of light, any light, with the only
consideration being that it was going to go in an Edison base fixture, I
wouldn't even consider CFLs anymore. My choice today would be between
an incandescent and these new LEDs. The price difference between a CFL
and the LEDs (at $15, anyway) is little enough that I'm willing to pay
the extra for the luxury of not being annoyed at the CFL every time I
turn it on.

nate

notbob April 26th 13 05:32 PM

On 2013-04-26, Nate Nagel wrote:
I've been interested in finding a more acceptable solution to indoor
lighting than the usual spiral CFLs......

Check this guy out (EE):

http://tinyurl.com/d4qgzao

He used some Cree solid state single LED bulbs to make a light strip.
Looks like it works pretty good.

nb

[email protected] April 26th 13 05:37 PM

Finally an alternative to incandescents?

On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 11:12:25 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

nestork wrote:

[...]

Tell me that after your LED lamps have 30,000 hours on them. IOW,
bull****!

[email protected] April 26th 13 05:41 PM

Finally an alternative to incandescents?

On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 12:24:54 -0400, Nate Nagel
wrote:

[...]

THe only place I have CFLs is in the unfinished basement, where
1) I don't care what how the light looks.
2) I don't care about the absurdly long warm-up. Much.
3) The lights may stay on for more than an hour a day so there might
be some energy to save.
4) Haven't gotten the T8s wired in yet.

DA April 26th 13 05:44 PM

replying to Nate Nagel , DA wrote:
njnagel wrote:

I just went back and clicked on my own link; the "online price"
(except
you can't even buy it online, it's a "store exclusive" product) is
$49.97 each for me. Maybe HD is adjusting the pricing based on
location? Perhaps in your location they are actually readily available
in stores at the lower price? I have no idea...

Same thing happens he I select my PA local HD - $49.97, my NJ work
location (35 miles away) HD - $14.97

Sounds like a profitable business can be started to haul LED bulbs across
the Delaware river :)

--
/\_/\
((@v@)) NIGHT

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ts-746084-.htm

Pete C. April 26th 13 05:45 PM

wrote:

nestork wrote:

[...]

There are decades of supporting data for 30,000hr LED life. LEDs are not
remotely new technology and they are well studied.

#1 was resolved years ago. Current CFLs have good color temp and CRI.

#2 seems to only apply to encapsulated CFLs, not a single one of the
open spiral CFLs I've used has a warmup time over a second or so after
it's initial couple hours of burn-in.

#3 there is energy to save regardless of daily run time. If your sub
hour a day run time saves #0.03 that's still a savings. Total lamp
lifetime savings is still the same, it just takes longer to accumulate.

#4 I use all 4' T8 fixtures in my shop and I'm pretty happy with them.
LEDs would save more power, but it would take more fixtures to get the
same coverage as a cheap dual 4' T8 fixture.

Pete C. April 26th 13 05:51 PM

njnagel wrote:

I just went back and clicked on my own link; the "online price"
(except
you can't even buy it online, it's a "store exclusive" product) is
$49.97 each for me. Maybe HD is adjusting the pricing based on
location? Perhaps in your location they are actually readily available
in stores at the lower price? I have no idea...

Same thing happens he I select my PA local HD - $49.97, my NJ work
location (35 miles away) HD - $14.97

Sounds like a profitable business can be started to haul LED bulbs across
the Delaware river :)

A business doing that would seem likely to get you in trouble, but a
drive over to pay cash for a batch for yourself would seem a good idea.

bob haller April 26th 13 05:57 PM

Finally an alternative to incandescents?

the oversized clear plastic packaging you hurt yourself trying to open
is all about making it impossible to shoplift

I will try to find one for my pole light, its on a light sensor which
blows CFLs because its a realtive of a dimmer:(

Converting to CFLs made my electric bill drop noticeably:)

Nate Nagel April 26th 13 06:48 PM

wrote:

nestork wrote:

[...]

Much like CFLs I'd be suspicious that the electronics in the base are
going to go Tango Uniform before the actual light emitting bits wear
out. This is another reason that I'm partial to the "L-prize" bulbs
because they would have had to have been built with
better-than-bargain-basement components to make it through testing.
Again, I wouldn't pay $50 for one but $15 for what appears to be the
Cadillac (well, that's an old school comparison, perhaps Lexus or Benz?)
of light bulbs seems like a good deal.

This teardown appears to support that reasoning (yes, I'm totally
geeking out on light bulbs today)

http://www.molalla.net/members/leepe...ize%20bulb.htm

nate

#1 was resolved years ago. Current CFLs have good color temp and CRI.

Which ones? Subjectively, I don't like them, and objectively I haven't
seen any commonly available with CRIs listed significantly 80 (and most
don't list it at all)

#2 seems to only apply to encapsulated CFLs, not a single one of the
open spiral CFLs I've used has a warmup time over a second or so after
it's initial couple hours of burn-in.

The bigger the CFL the longer the warm up time it seems... which means
if you have an older house with older fixtures that were designed for
adequate lighting with 60W bulbs or greater then you'll be annoyed by
the warm up time. You're right, you can get a 13W CFL that isn't *too*
annoying, but if you need more power than that out of a single "bulb"
then the ramp up is back...

I guess where my frustration with CFLs stems from is a desire *not* to
replace old light fixtures with newer ones using fluorescent tubes or
multiple CFLs (what can I say, I like old stuff)

#3 there is energy to save regardless of daily run time. If your sub

#4 I use all 4' T8 fixtures in my shop and I'm pretty happy with them.
LEDs would save more power, but it would take more fixtures to get the
same coverage as a cheap dual 4' T8 fixture.

Yeah, T8 or T12 shop lights are hard to beat for illumination. The CRI
may not be the greatest but they're head and shoulders above CFLs in
lampholders for sheer illumination and the CRI is likely better too -
and 4' T8s are available in tons of different color temps etc. as for
years they've been the standard for commercial illumination. I ended up
using them in the whole basement of my last place; two troffers in the
"man cave" area that had a drop ceiling, and shop lights in the laundry
room.

nate

Nate Nagel April 26th 13 06:59 PM

On 04/26/2013 12:57 PM, bob haller wrote:
the oversized clear plastic packaging you hurt yourself trying to open
is all about making it impossible to shoplift

I will try to find one for my pole light, its on a light sensor which
blows CFLs because its a realtive of a dimmer:(

Converting to CFLs made my electric bill drop noticeably:)

It might look kinda goofy in a pole light during the daytime...

as I said before this whole geekery started after buying a 4W "flame"
LED bulb at Lowes (Utilitech Pro brand) it works in the pole light but
doesn't really light up the driveway completely; I was looking to see if
there were any higher lumen ones available (not for an affordable price)
and that's when I came across the $15 good Philips bulbs @ HD.

Maybe one of the 40W equivalent Crees would be the ticket? They're not
particularly decorative but they are more like a traditional frosted
light bulb in appearance and you don't really care about CRI as much in
a pole light as you would indoors.

Unless you want to advertise to the world that you geek out on stuff
like LED bulbs, in which case by all means get the Philips (although I
think the older ones with the silver fluted base and orange remote
phosphor panels look even cooler G)

nate

Frank[_17_] April 26th 13 07:00 PM

On 4/26/2013 12:24 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Frank wrote:

[...]

I did not do the math but the Phillips lamp, and that's what I
addressed, is 10 watts and costs $50. I'm not taking time to do math
again. You can do it but off hand I'll bet its more expensive.
I'd buy the 60 watt equivalent $10 LED bulb if I knew where to get it.

Slight change in subject but I think home lighting requirements only
takes up about 14% of your total electric bill so improved lights are
just chasing diminishing return on investment.

Nate Nagel April 26th 13 07:35 PM

Frank wrote:

[...]

The Cree 9.5W/800 lumen (advertised as "60W equivalent" although this
seems to be a little reminiscent of CFL advertising where you give up
50-100 lumens relative to a traditional incandescent) ones apparently
are readily available in the HD stores that aren't selling the Philips
L-Prize bulbs. The Cree ones are $13 in my area and I apparently
wouldn't have any trouble getting them. I specifically sought out the
Philips bulbs because of the higher CRI and the "made in the USA"
factor, and the $2 difference (everywhere that I've actually been able
to find them for sale, they're $15 not $50; online at Amazon now, if
you're not close to a store selling them, they're about $30 BTW) isn't
going to kill me. The higher light output and greater efficiency is
nice too.

Not that Cree makes a bad product - as I said in a previous post, there
are applications where it might make sense to use them, e.g. where the
bulb is exposed and you are trying to maintain the appearance of a
traditional frosted bulb. I've got several flashlights using Cree LEDs
and they're great; I think I've replaced one pair of batteries in one of
three flashlights after several years of ownership and use (and all are
still working fine.) If the Philips didn't exist I'd probably be trying
a few of the Cree bulbs now.

As an aside, Cree is apparently where it's at for can lights now. They
have several models of downlights with a CRI of 90 or greater but for
whatever reason their "light bulbs" have a lower CRI. So Philips for
bulbs, but Cree for can lights.

Slight change in subject but I think home lighting requirements only
takes up about 14% of your total electric bill so improved lights are
just chasing diminishing return on investment.

I didn't even bother to fact check that statement but keep in mind that
going from incandescent to CFL or LED will reduce the heat load on your
A/C as well, if you live in an area that requires primarily cooling
rather than heating (and I do)

Also, is that 14% assuming incandescents or CFLs? If the latter, then
using incandescents would change lighting to a significant fraction of
the total power used.

nate

#1 was resolved years ago. Current CFLs have good color temp and CRI.

Which ones? Subjectively, I don't like them, and objectively I haven't
seen any commonly available with CRIs listed significantly 80 (and most
don't list it at all)

The 7.5W 40W equiv. LG lamps I've been using for about a year. I have
absolutely no issues with their light quality. They have two color temp
versions available also.

#2 seems to only apply to encapsulated CFLs, not a single one of the
open spiral CFLs I've used has a warmup time over a second or so after
it's initial couple hours of burn-in.

The bigger the CFL the longer the warm up time it seems... which means
if you have an older house with older fixtures that were designed for
adequate lighting with 60W bulbs or greater then you'll be annoyed by
the warm up time. You're right, you can get a 13W CFL that isn't *too*
annoying, but if you need more power than that out of a single "bulb"
then the ramp up is back...

I guess where my frustration with CFLs stems from is a desire *not* to
replace old light fixtures with newer ones using fluorescent tubes or
multiple CFLs (what can I say, I like old stuff)

I use a bunch of higher power CFLs, the 23W+ versions. I put them in the
cheap clip on reflector fixtures and use them for work lights where I
used to use 500W halogen. I don't see any notable warmup times on those
unless I'm using them outside in really cold weather. I've also *gasp*
used 23W CFLs in enclosed fixtures with no meltdowns and still 4+ years
of service life.

#3 there is energy to save regardless of daily run time. If your sub

#4 I use all 4' T8 fixtures in my shop and I'm pretty happy with them.
LEDs would save more power, but it would take more fixtures to get the
same coverage as a cheap dual 4' T8 fixture.

Yeah, T8 or T12 shop lights are hard to beat for illumination. The CRI
may not be the greatest but they're head and shoulders above CFLs in
lampholders for sheer illumination and the CRI is likely better too -
and 4' T8s are available in tons of different color temps etc. as for
years they've been the standard for commercial illumination. I ended up
using them in the whole basement of my last place; two troffers in the
"man cave" area that had a drop ceiling, and shop lights in the laundry
room.

The total light output isn't hard to replace with LEDs, but the light
distribution from a 4' two tube T8 is difficult to match.

[email protected] April 26th 13 08:15 PM

Finally an alternative to incandescents?

On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 11:24:26 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Frank wrote:

[...]

IFF you believe the absurd claims of 30K Hrs.

micky April 26th 13 08:24 PM

Finally an alternative to incandescents?

On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 07:00:53 -0400, Nate Nagel
wrote:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-1...0#BVRRWidgetID

which is available at select (read: almost none) Home Depots but the

Well, they have two at an HD on the other side of town and none in 5
stores near that other one. For some reason HD thinks I live on the
other side of town, even t hough other websites like weather know
where I live.

Hmmm. It has 32 in stock at the store nearesst me. Are you saying I
should buy some?? I wonder how many would be good.

And out of stock at 4 stores near that one.

After I kept going, I found 4 stores out of agroup of 6 which said
Item not sold at this store. Plus about 14 earlier stores which had
at least two, 1 that had one, and 10 earlier additional stores that
were out of them.

secret is that if you can find them, they're apparently subsidized by
local utilities or something to about $15 apiece, not the $50 listed on
the web site.

It says 14.99 now.

micky April 26th 13 08:25 PM

Finally an alternative to incandescents?

On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 07:05:06 -0400, Nate Nagel
wrote:

Forgot to add... the really amusing thing about this bulb is the
packaging. Philips hits a home run with this product which will likely
primarily appeal to eco-weenies and people who actually geek out over
things like light bulbs... and yet the packaging is that awful heat
sealed clamshell plastic, and about 3x as large as it needs to be. I

Designed to make shop-lifting harder.

[email protected] April 26th 13 08:28 PM

Finally an alternative to incandescents?

On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 11:45:17 -0500, "Pete C."

wrote:

nestork wrote:

[...]

Utter bull****. The LEDs themselves, if cooled to the datgasheet
numbers (probably 25C) will last 30KPOH but NOT as they're used in
crap appliances. Let me know when yours actually last that long.

#1 was resolved years ago. Current CFLs have good color temp and CRI.

Bull****. Color temp doesn't tell you jack.

#2 seems to only apply to encapsulated CFLs, not a single one of the
open spiral CFLs I've used has a warmup time over a second or so after
it's initial couple hours of burn-in.

Nonsense. The pig tails take five minutes, or longer, to come up to
full brightness. In cold weather, forget it. Most of my lighs aren't
on that long in a day.

#3 there is energy to save regardless of daily run time. If your sub
hour a day run time saves #0.03 that's still a savings. Total lamp
lifetime savings is still the same, it just takes longer to accumulate.

Bull****. It takes energy to make the things (and for me to buy
them).

#4 I use all 4' T8 fixtures in my shop and I'm pretty happy with them.
LEDs would save more power, but it would take more fixtures to get the
same coverage as a cheap dual 4' T8 fixture.

Don't bet on LEDs taking less power. 4' T8s are pretty efficient. The
light is also better for such work than anything you're likely to find
in a "bulb".

micky April 26th 13 08:33 PM

Finally an alternative to incandescents?

On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 06:06:42 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Yes, good to know. At some point I guess I'll try buying one.

It's not that hard. Just take one up to the counter and hand the
clerk some money. Unless you are really weird looking, he'll
probably sell you one.

My experience with CFL's though makes me hesitant. Even now
the results from one brand to another or even within the same
brand a year later are not consistent. These
are even more expensive, so you really have to believe that

A: They put out nice light

[email protected] April 26th 13 08:35 PM

Finally an alternative to incandescents?

njnagel wrote:

I just went back and clicked on my own link; the "online price"
(except
you can't even buy it online, it's a "store exclusive" product) is
$49.97 each for me. Maybe HD is adjusting the pricing based on
location? Perhaps in your location they are actually readily available
in stores at the lower price? I have no idea...

Same thing happens he I select my PA local HD - $49.97, my NJ work
location (35 miles away) HD - $14.97

Sounds like a profitable business can be started to haul LED bulbs across
the Delaware river :)

A business doing that would seem likely to get you in trouble, but a
drive over to pay cash for a batch for yourself would seem a good idea.

What are they going to arrest you for, "bulb running? "Interstate
transport of lighting accessories?" Too funny!

micky April 26th 13 08:36 PM

Finally an alternative to incandescents?

On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 10:24:48 -0400, Nate Nagel
wrote:

I'm in VA and the $49.97 price comes up. I set "my store" to the one
nearest my parents in PA and it is also $49.97. Then I tried Florham
Park, NJ (first NJ city that popped into my head) and picked the closest
store, suddenly price is $14.97. So I'm guessing that if I were
actually able to find a store in VA that had some in stock, they would
be priced at $49.97? Don't know, there's not any stores w/in 50 miles
of me that is also located in VA that has any in stock, so I can't try
to order for in-store pickup so I can see what the pricing is.

Lesson: if you live in VA or PA, get someone from MD or NJ to buy you
some of these and send them to you? (unless like me you live near a
state border)

If you get caught transporting these light bulbs across state lines,
you'll be illuminated.

nate