Posted to alt.home.repair

Default storing a 20 lb propane tank..

In a bout of act first think later, I purchase a backup tank of BBQ propane.

But nowhere to store this thing.

Any safety issues if I keep it under a pressured treated deck? Under the
BBQ itself is not an option.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hench wrote:
In a bout of act first think later, I purchase a backup tank of BBQ propane.

But nowhere to store this thing.

Any safety issues if I keep it under a pressured treated deck? Under the
BBQ itself is not an option.

There's not much difference between storing the tank on the deck - you
know, the one that's attached to the grill - and storing the spare under
the deck.

Do it and don't worry about it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hench wrote:
In a bout of act first think later, I purchase a backup tank of BBQ propane.

But nowhere to store this thing.

Any safety issues if I keep it under a pressured treated deck? Under the
BBQ itself is not an option.

Just put a hat on it.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Apr 2013 22:21:48 -0400, Hench wrote:

In a bout of act first think later, I purchase a backup tank of BBQ propane.

But nowhere to store this thing.

Any safety issues if I keep it under a pressured treated deck? Under the
BBQ itself is not an option.

That is where I keep mine. Never had a problem in 45 years.
Senior Member

Whatever you do, don't store it indoors or below grade.

If the tank leaks, you could have a house explosion, so not storing it indoors is kinda obvious.

Propane is heavier than air, and so if the tank leaks, it can fill a house basement or root cellar with propane and anyone going down there could suffocate before they know what's happening to them; especially if they lose their footing and fall down.

Last edited by nestork : April 20th 13 at 06:56 AM

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 02:43:31 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Hench wrote:
In a bout of act first think later, I purchase a backup tank of BBQ propane.

But nowhere to store this thing.

Any safety issues if I keep it under a pressured treated deck? Under the
BBQ itself is not an option.

There's not much difference between storing the tank on the deck - you
know, the one that's attached to the grill - and storing the spare under
the deck.

Do it and don't worry about it.

Remember, Propane is heavier than air, so any discharge/leakage goes
DOWN and accumulates in low spots (like basements and drains) - unlike
NG, which is lighter than air, so dissipates upwards
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 00:05:01 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Fri, 19 Apr 2013 22:21:48 -0400, Hench wrote:

In a bout of act first think later, I purchase a backup tank of BBQ propane.

But nowhere to store this thing.

Any safety issues if I keep it under a pressured treated deck? Under the
BBQ itself is not an option.

That is where I keep mine. Never had a problem in 45 years.

But there's always a first time. Did you see that fertilizer plant
explosion on the news from West TX? Well, if that propane tank blows,
it will look just like that fertilizer plant, and people will die for
miles around your house, and many homes will be destroyed. Your best
bet is to take it about 20 miles away from any buildings, and leave it
outside with a tarp over it. Be sure to put up signs that say "Danger
Explosives - Do not Go near!". Then take photos of the tank and the
signs in case someone does go near it, and dies, you at least have court
evidence when you're sued for murder.

Posted to alt.home.repair

And, paint a smiley face with lipstick.

(I have a propane tank stored under my pressure treated deck. It's been
fine.)
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"gregz" wrote in message
Hench wrote:
In a bout of act first think later, I purchase a backup tank of BBQ
propane.

But nowhere to store this thing.

Any safety issues if I keep it under a pressured treated deck? Under the
BBQ itself is not an option.

Just put a hat on it.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

So, how was your trip? Are the aliens friendly?
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Red Green" wrote in message
wrote in
:

That is where I keep mine. Never had a problem in 45 years.

But there's always a first time. Did you see that fertilizer plant
explosion on the news from West TX?

No. I've been away on another planet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

So, how was your trip? Are the aliens friendly?
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.
.
"Red Green" wrote in message
wrote in
:

That is where I keep mine. Never had a problem in 45 years.

But there's always a first time. Did you see that fertilizer plant
explosion on the news from West TX?

No. I've been away on another planet.

Exceptionally.

First question they all agreed to ask me was "Hey, what's up with those
Brits?".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/19/2013 10:21 PM, Hench wrote:
In a bout of act first think later, I purchase a backup tank of BBQ
propane.

But nowhere to store this thing.

Any safety issues if I keep it under a pressured treated deck? Under the
BBQ itself is not an option.

My extra tank is with the BBQ itself under the BBQ cover and on the
deck, maybe just a few inches further from the BBQ unit than the tank
that is hooked up. I see no problem in your storing under the deck
loosely covered to protect from the elements.
Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

"Frank" wrote in message
On 4/19/2013 10:21 PM, Hench wrote:
In a bout of act first think later, I purchase a backup tank of BBQ
propane.

But nowhere to store this thing.

Any safety issues if I keep it under a pressured treated deck? Under the
BBQ itself is not an option.

My extra tank is with the BBQ itself under the BBQ cover and on the deck,
maybe just a few inches further from the BBQ unit than the tank that is
hooked up. I see no problem in your storing under the deck loosely
covered to protect from the elements.

In 1999 the flex hose on our propane gas grill, on our deck, apparently
ruptured while in use and turned the tank into a blowtorch spewing a 6-8'
flame against the side of our house. Even after firemen arrived they could
do nothing but pour water on it as nobody could approach shutoff. About the
time tank 1 ran out of gas, tank 2(full), that was stored next to tank 1,
got hot enough the pressure relief valve blew, it ignited and we stood there
and watched about half our house burn. We now use natural gas with multiple,
accessible shutoffs (with grill no longer next to house). The restoration
company that rebuilt our house said it was the 3rd gas grill fire they'd
worked on that summer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hench wrote:
In a bout of act first think later, I purchase a backup tank of BBQ
propane.

But nowhere to store this thing.

Any safety issues if I keep it under a pressured treated deck? Under the
BBQ itself is not an option.

My BBG is left outside all year in the snow, rain, storms, etc. The one
tank is always connected to the BBQ. The second tank is sitting right
next to the BBQ.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 09:46:25 -0500, "tom" wrote:

"Frank" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for that info. Wife keeps bugging me to get a propane grill to
replace our charcoal Weber. I like charcoal, but she does most the
cooking, so has an advantage. I'll read your post to her next time
she mentions propane grill. Check. Maybe checkmate, unless she
thinks to employ the "We have a brick house" maneuver.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 02:46:00 +0000 (UTC), gregz
wrote:

Hench wrote:
In a bout of act first think later, I purchase a backup tank of BBQ propane.

But nowhere to store this thing.

Any safety issues if I keep it under a pressured treated deck? Under the
BBQ itself is not an option.

Just put a hat on it.

Greg

A condom would be safer!

Posted to alt.home.repair

The question should not be "can this happen?" but "how often does it happen?" and "what can be done to prevent it from happening?"

I suspect that if hoses ruptured frequently they'd change them, just like they did with the connector type a few years ago.

But it does make sense to keep the grill a few feet away from the house- not just because of possible tank problems but also because on occasion the food does flare up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oh, they're friendly enough but the sunzabeaches are top-posters!
There should be a bounty on 'em! ;-)

On 4/20/2013 6:49 AM, Stormin Mormon top-posted:
So, how was your trip? Are the aliens friendly?
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

"Red Green" wrote in message
wrote in
:

That is where I keep mine. Never had a problem in 45 years.

But there's always a first time. Did you see that fertilizer plant
explosion on the news from West TX?

No. I've been away on another planet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 10:35:29 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

In 1999 the flex hose on our propane gas grill, on our deck, apparently
ruptured while in use and turned the tank into a blowtorch spewing a 6-8'
flame against the side of our house. Even after firemen arrived they could
do nothing but pour water on it as nobody could approach shutoff. About the
time tank 1 ran out of gas, tank 2(full), that was stored next to tank 1,
got hot enough the pressure relief valve blew,

Thanks for that info. Wife keeps bugging me to get a propane grill to
replace our charcoal Weber. I like charcoal, but she does most the
cooking, so has an advantage. I'll read your post to her next time
she mentions propane grill. Check. Maybe checkmate, unless she
thinks to employ the "We have a brick house" maneuver.

Every years there are fires from propane grills. Most are
preventable. The grill should not be next to the house for starter,
under an overhang, and must be properly maintained.

I have to wonder just how old that flex hose was. They can get stiff
over time and should be replaced before they do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/20/2013 10:46 AM, tom wrote:

"Frank" wrote in message
[...]

Only hose failure I've heard of was of squirrels gnawing through the
hose. I would not think pressure would be that high in them.
Good comments to keep in mind though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Apr 2013 22:21:48 -0400, Hench wrote:

In a bout of act first think later, I purchase a backup tank of BBQ propane.

But nowhere to store this thing.

Any safety issues if I keep it under a pressured treated deck? Under the
BBQ itself is not an option.

No. He pressured deck will damage it. You should depressure the deck
first.
Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

"Frank" wrote in message
On 4/20/2013 10:46 AM, tom wrote:

In 1999 the flex hose on our propane gas grill, on our deck, apparently
ruptured while in use and turned the tank into a blowtorch spewing a
6-8' flame against the side of our house. Even after firemen arrived
they could do nothing but pour water on it as nobody could approach
shutoff. About the time tank 1 ran out of gas, tank 2(full), that was
stored next to tank 1, got hot enough the pressure relief valve blew, it
ignited and we stood there and watched about half our house burn. We now
use natural gas with multiple, accessible shutoffs (with grill no longer
next to house). The restoration company that rebuilt our house said it
was the 3rd gas grill fire they'd worked on that summer.

Only hose failure I've heard of was of squirrels gnawing through the hose.
I would not think pressure would be that high in them.
Good comments to keep in mind though.

We never really knew what happened for sure. The ins investigator and myself
assembled the remnants of the grill a few days after the fire and all seemed
intact (tanks,burners,valves) but obviously we found no part(s) of flex line
that connected tank to grill.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z...use-before.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 18:44:18 -0400, Frank
wrote:

On 4/20/2013 10:46 AM, tom wrote:

"Frank" wrote in message
[...]

I had spiders get into the burner and carb on one gas grill. It sure
surprised the hell out of me in the Spring. The flames were covering
the tank and regulator.
Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:
Hench wrote:
In a bout of act first think later, I purchase a backup tank of BBQ propane.
But nowhere to store this thing.
Any safety issues if I keep it under a pressured treated deck? Under
the BBQ itself is not an option.

My BBG is left outside all year in the snow, rain, storms, etc. The one
tank is always connected to the BBQ. The second tank is sitting right next to the BBQ.

So, you've been up on my deck, eh? ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/20/2013 7:03 PM, tom wrote:

"Frank" wrote in message
On 4/20/2013 10:46 AM, tom wrote:

[...]

My deck looks safer, fire wise, with not as much wood around.
Haven't fired up the grill yet this season but will check carefully
before I do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 18:03:41 -0500, "tom" wrote:

We never really knew what happened for sure. The ins investigator and myself
assembled the remnants of the grill a few days after the fire and all seemed
intact (tanks,burners,valves) but obviously we found no part(s) of flex line
that connected tank to grill.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z...use-before.jpg

Was this the rubber hose or some sort of metal flex?

Rubber type hoses can become brittle and crack.

At one time, metal flex lines were not allowed for dryer use because
they would vibrate and over time would leak. They were allowed for
gas ranges so they could be moved out.

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 18:03:41 -0500, "tom" wrote:

We never really knew what happened for sure. The ins investigator and
myself
assembled the remnants of the grill a few days after the fire and all
seemed
intact (tanks,burners,valves) but obviously we found no part(s) of flex
line
that connected tank to grill.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z...use-before.jpg

Was this the rubber hose or some sort of metal flex?

Rubber type hoses can become brittle and crack.

At one time, metal flex lines were not allowed for dryer use because
they would vibrate and over time would leak. They were allowed for
gas ranges so they could be moved out.

It was some sort of rubber\rubber like non-metal hose.

Posted to alt.home.repair

We cook year round on our grill...

Last fall the grill started acting flakey Turned out the burner
rusted out, and actually melted a small hole thru the bottom of the
grill.... alunimum casting

its probably over 30 years old and needed rebuilt again..... I like
the grill it was my moms, she is long dead. its the lava rock type and
cooks better than the ones with steel plates

a buddy with a machine shop has rebuilt it several times, i fix him a
big t bone dinner for fixing it up.....

this time the frame was rotted out so much of it got replaced. the
hole in the bottom got a metal plate covering it...

I have been thinking of having my buddy make a non magnetic stanless
burner to end the burner rotted out problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:
We cook year round on our grill...

Last fall the grill started acting flakey Turned out the burner
rusted out, and actually melted a small hole thru the bottom of the
grill.... alunimum casting

its probably over 30 years old and needed rebuilt again..... I like
the grill it was my moms, she is long dead. its the lava rock type and
cooks better than the ones with steel plates

a buddy with a machine shop has rebuilt it several times, i fix him a
big t bone dinner for fixing it up.....

this time the frame was rotted out so much of it got replaced. the
hole in the bottom got a metal plate covering it...

I have been thinking of having my buddy make a non magnetic stanless
burner to end the burner rotted out problem.

My grill had 3 steel "heat diverters" or whatever they call those metal
tents that go over the burners. When they rusted out I bought an adjustable
grate that now sits on the ledges that the tents sat on. One bag of lava
rocks later and I have much better heat distribution from the 3 burners
than I ever had with the original setup.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 01:20:57 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

bob haller wrote:
[...]

Just buy a Weber - with the stainless flavorizor - or a Broil king
or Napoleon. Lots of cheap crap out there that can be improved upon
in a dozen ways.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 18:03:41 -0500, "tom" wrote:

We never really knew what happened for sure. The ins investigator and myself
assembled the remnants of the grill a few days after the fire and all seemed
intact (tanks,burners,valves) but obviously we found no part(s) of flex line
that connected tank to grill.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z...use-before.jpg

Was this the rubber hose or some sort of metal flex?

Rubber type hoses can become brittle and crack.

At one time, metal flex lines were not allowed for dryer use because
they would vibrate and over time would leak. They were allowed for
gas ranges so they could be moved out.

How you going to connect dryer without moving it ? I can see the point
though.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 01:41:34 +0000 (UTC), gregz
wrote:

How you going to connect dryer without moving it ? I can see the point
though.

Greg

Depends on where it is installed. I put the back end piping in place,
put the dryer in place, then connected the union.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, April 20, 2013 1:41:15 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Remember, Propane is heavier than air, so any discharge/leakage goes
DOWN and accumulates in low spots (like basements and drains) - unlike
NG, which is lighter than air, so dissipates upwards

So?

We don't give leaving the tank connected to the grill 24/7/365 a second thought.

Surely a tank that is not connected to anything is marginally safer than a tank connected to the grill as far as leaks are concerned. You can forget to turn off the grill tank, and propane can leak from the connections or regulator. Even if for some God forsaken reason, someone turns on the spare tank, it won't leak due to the safety valve that requires a regulator be connected before it will flow propane.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
bob haller wrote:
[...]

It also prevents crud from landing on the burner and plugging the holes

I had to be more creative and built 4 legs for the lower grill and lava rock
combo.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, April 20, 2013 10:46:25 AM UTC-4, tom wrote:
In 1999 the flex hose on our propane gas grill, on our deck, apparently
ruptured while in use and turned the tank into a blowtorch spewing a 6-8'
flame against the side of our house. Even after firemen arrived they could
do nothing but pour water on it as nobody could approach shutoff. About the
time tank 1 ran out of gas, tank 2(full), that was stored next to tank 1,
got hot enough the pressure relief valve blew, it ignited and we stood there
and watched about half our house burn. We now use natural gas with multiple,
accessible shutoffs (with grill no longer next to house). The restoration
company that rebuilt our house said it was the 3rd gas grill fire they'd
worked on that summer.

Standard grill tank? I call BS.

There is no way this ever happened unless the fire department was there within 2 minutes, and they were the biggest crew of bumbling idiots known to man.

If they were there quick enough to be able to set up and squirt water on it before the first tank ran out of propane, then the second tank never would've gotten hot enough to trip the relief valve.

I find it hard to believe that there was no way to pull the grill off the porch with one of those pole hooks that every fire truck comes equipped with before it did too much damage.

When the hose first ruptured, there was plenty of opportunity to shut off the fuel supply and get the second tank out of harm's way. You probably sat there mesmerized by the flames, or ran away at the first sign of danger.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Which fire department are you in?
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
wrote in message

Standard grill tank? I call BS.

There is no way this ever happened unless the fire department was there
within 2 minutes, and they were the biggest crew of bumbling idiots known to
man.

If they were there quick enough to be able to set up and squirt water on it
before the first tank ran out of propane, then the second tank never
would've gotten hot enough to trip the relief valve.

I find it hard to believe that there was no way to pull the grill off the
porch with one of those pole hooks that every fire truck comes equipped with
before it did too much damage.

When the hose first ruptured, there was plenty of opportunity to shut off
the fuel supply and get the second tank out of harm's way. You probably sat
there mesmerized by the flames, or ran away at the first sign of danger.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/20/2013 7:36 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
willshak wrote:
Hench wrote:
In a bout of act first think later, I purchase a backup tank of BBQ propane.
But nowhere to store this thing.
Any safety issues if I keep it under a pressured treated deck? Under
the BBQ itself is not an option.

My BBG is left outside all year in the snow, rain, storms, etc. The one
tank is always connected to the BBQ. The second tank is sitting right next to the BBQ.

So, you've been up on my deck, eh? ;-)

Just to check that you had shut off the tank at the valve.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

wrote in message
[...]

Not possible? Guess I missed you in the crowd of on-looker's that night when
we faked this whole ordeal. 2 many x-perts in the world these days.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z...use-before.jpg