Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What would make a non-adjustable California lawn mower rev like crazy?

Haven't used the California lawn mower since last season, and, well, after I pulled on the Honda cord a few dozen times with the choke held open, it finally started.

But, then, for the next half hour (as I mowed the lawn), it revved like crazy, way high.
http://youtu.be/fin8sYnbe1Q

Looking at the lawn mower, I can't see anything wrong with the cable operation.
http://youtu.be/Vw9OAJsw6vk

The filter is pristine clean (the mower is only one season old). The cable moves smoothly. The choke moves smoothly. There doesn't seem to be any adjustments for the carb.

So, I wonder: What would make the darn thing rev like crazy?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 09:00:14 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Haven't used the California lawn mower since last season, and, well, after I pulled on the Honda cord a few dozen times with the choke held open, it finally started.

But, then, for the next half hour (as I mowed the lawn), it revved like crazy, way high.
http://youtu.be/fin8sYnbe1Q

Looking at the lawn mower, I can't see anything wrong with the cable operation.
http://youtu.be/Vw9OAJsw6vk

The filter is pristine clean (the mower is only one season old). The cable moves smoothly. The choke moves smoothly. There doesn't seem to be any adjustments for the carb.

So, I wonder: What would make the darn thing rev like crazy?

Check for debris/critter nests in flywheel housing and around carb.
Sounds as if the throttle linkage or governor mechanism is bound up.
--
Mr.E
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Haven't used the California lawn mower since last season, and, well, after I pulled on the Honda cord a few dozen times with the choke held open, it finally started.

But, then, for the next half hour (as I mowed the lawn), it revved like crazy, way high.
http://youtu.be/fin8sYnbe1Q

Looking at the lawn mower, I can't see anything wrong with the cable operation.
http://youtu.be/Vw9OAJsw6vk

The filter is pristine clean (the mower is only one season old). The cable moves smoothly. The choke moves smoothly. There doesn't seem to be any adjustments for the carb.

So, I wonder: What would make the darn thing rev like crazy?

Check for debris/critter nests in flywheel housing and around carb.
Sounds as if the throttle linkage or governor mechanism is bound up.
--
Mr.E

Agree with the above.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The cable just changes the spring tension on a governor, it's complicated.
I'm guessing the throttle is stuck open, and needs to be wiggled free, and a
spot of oil.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
wrote in message
Haven't used the California lawn mower since last season, and, well, after I
pulled on the Honda cord a few dozen times with the choke held open, it
finally started.

But, then, for the next half hour (as I mowed the lawn), it revved like
crazy, way high.
http://youtu.be/fin8sYnbe1Q

Looking at the lawn mower, I can't see anything wrong with the cable
operation.
http://youtu.be/Vw9OAJsw6vk

The filter is pristine clean (the mower is only one season old). The cable
moves smoothly. The choke moves smoothly. There doesn't seem to be any
adjustments for the carb.

So, I wonder: What would make the darn thing rev like crazy?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 18, 3:07*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
The cable just changes the spring tension on a governor, it's complicated..
I'm guessing the throttle is stuck open, and needs to be wiggled free, and a
spot of oil.
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
* *www.lds.org
.

finally started.http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/.../12721311..jpg

But, then, for the next half hour (as I mowed the lawn), it revved like
crazy, way high.http://youtu.be/fin8sYnbe1Q

Looking at the lawn mower, I can't see anything wrong with the cable
operation.http://youtu.be/Vw9OAJsw6vk

The filter is pristine clean (the mower is only one season old). The cable
moves smoothly. The choke moves smoothly. There doesn't seem to be any
adjustments for the carb.http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12721319.jpg

So, I wonder: What would make the darn thing rev like crazy?

Maybe it's because he's trying to use a CA lawn mower in another
state..... Or maybe one of the 30 warning labels that says this
mower
uses gasoline and plastics which are known by the state of CA to cause
cancer, got stuck in the linkage.
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 4/18/2013 9:00 AM, wrote:
Haven't used the California lawn mower since last season, and, well, after I pulled on the Honda cord a few dozen times with the choke held open, it finally started.

But, then, for the next half hour (as I mowed the lawn), it revved like crazy, way high.
http://youtu.be/fin8sYnbe1Q

Looking at the lawn mower, I can't see anything wrong with the cable operation.
http://youtu.be/Vw9OAJsw6vk

The filter is pristine clean (the mower is only one season old). The cable moves smoothly. The choke moves smoothly. There doesn't seem to be any adjustments for the carb.

So, I wonder: What would make the darn thing rev like crazy?

It's not the cable.

I have a mower with the same engine, about ten years old now. Shortly
after I got it I added a throttle control, and IIRC I had to take off
the filter to install the connection. I put the assembly back
incorrectly and I was getting the revving. Once I corrected it (I think
a gasket was out of place) it began working correctly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, April 18, 2013 12:00:14 PM UTC-4, wrote:
So, I wonder: What would make the darn thing rev like crazy?

If it's less than one year old it's still under warranty and you can take it for service.

Odds are it's just the governor stuck. Need to pull off the shroud and look.

But you probably ruined it by running it like that for 30 minutes.