DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Water heaters (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/355046-water-heaters.html)

KenK April 9th 13 05:46 PM

Water heaters

Just had my propane tank filled - ~$5 gallon? Much more expensive than in
the past.

If I replaced my hot water heater with an electric next time it needs
replacing what is the price difference - electric more, less or about
equally expensive? Then too I'll need to get an electric line run. (I have
room for more breakers.) Then I'll replace my gas cooking range - that
shouldn't be too expensive. That will free me from propane.

What say? Not worth the expense and trouble?

TIA

chaniarts[_3_] April 9th 13 05:51 PM

Water heaters

On 4/9/2013 9:46 AM, KenK wrote:
Just had my propane tank filled - ~$5 gallon? Much more expensive than in
the past.

If I replaced my hot water heater with an electric next time it needs
replacing what is the price difference - electric more, less or about
equally expensive? Then too I'll need to get an electric line run. (I have
room for more breakers.) Then I'll replace my gas cooking range - that
shouldn't be too expensive. That will free me from propane.

What say? Not worth the expense and trouble?

TIA

we can't tell where in the world you are, what your power cost is,
whether the additional usage will bump you into another usage category
at a much higher rate, how much it will be to convert, or whether your
service drop will allow you to do this conversion.

you need to call a couple of contractors and ask for bids, and look at
your bill to decide what it will cost you for the additional usage.

George April 9th 13 05:54 PM

Water heaters

On 4/9/2013 12:46 PM, KenK wrote:
Just had my propane tank filled - ~$5 gallon? Much more expensive than in
the past.

If I replaced my hot water heater with an electric next time it needs
replacing what is the price difference - electric more, less or about
equally expensive? Then too I'll need to get an electric line run. (I have
room for more breakers.) Then I'll replace my gas cooking range - that
shouldn't be too expensive. That will free me from propane.

What say? Not worth the expense and trouble?

TIA

You haven't provided any information to make a decision.

[email protected][_2_] April 9th 13 06:02 PM

Water heaters

On Apr 9, 12:54*pm, George wrote:
On 4/9/2013 12:46 PM, KenK wrote: Just had my propane tank filled - ~$5 gallon? Much more expensive than in
the past.

If I replaced my hot water heater with an electric next time it needs
replacing what is the price difference - electric more, less or about
equally expensive? Then too I'll need to get an electric line run. (I have
room for more breakers.) Then I'll replace my gas cooking range - that
shouldn't be too expensive. That will free me from propane.

What say? Not worth the expense and trouble?

TIA

You haven't provided any information to make a decision.

Also I would think there would be some online calculators
or similar where you could see some real comparisons or
plug in your own numbers. A big factor is how much hot
water you use. What makes sense for a one person
household vs a family of 6 with teenagers could be very
different. And whether electricity costs 9c/kwh or 18c.

As for converting the cooking, I doubt it amounts to enough
to make it worthwhile, at least from just the energy usage
part.

Dean Hoffman[_13_] April 9th 13 06:07 PM

Water heaters

On 4/9/13 11:46 AM, KenK wrote:
Just had my propane tank filled - ~$5 gallon? Much more expensive than in
the past.

If I replaced my hot water heater with an electric next time it needs
replacing what is the price difference - electric more, less or about
equally expensive? Then too I'll need to get an electric line run. (I have
room for more breakers.) Then I'll replace my gas cooking range - that
shouldn't be too expensive. That will free me from propane.

What say? Not worth the expense and trouble?

TIA

What do you use for heat?

KenK April 9th 13 06:24 PM

Water heaters

Dean Hoffman " wrote in
:

On 4/9/13 11:46 AM, KenK wrote:
Just had my propane tank filled - ~$5 gallon? Much more expensive
than in the past.

If I replaced my hot water heater with an electric next time it needs
replacing what is the price difference - electric more, less or about
equally expensive? Then too I'll need to get an electric line run. (I
have room for more breakers.) Then I'll replace my gas cooking range
- that shouldn't be too expensive. That will free me from propane.

What say? Not worth the expense and trouble?

TIA

What do you use for heat?

Live in a mobile home with no heat. Has a propane furnace but I quit
using that decades ago because of expense. I use a space heater as
necessary.

Mr.E April 9th 13 07:13 PM

Water heaters

On 9 Apr 2013 17:24:45 GMT, KenK wrote:

Dean Hoffman " wrote in
:

On 4/9/13 11:46 AM, KenK wrote:
Just had my propane tank filled - ~$5 gallon? Much more expensive
than in the past.

If I replaced my hot water heater with an electric next time it needs
replacing what is the price difference - electric more, less or about
equally expensive? Then too I'll need to get an electric line run. (I
have room for more breakers.) Then I'll replace my gas cooking range
- that shouldn't be too expensive. That will free me from propane.

What say? Not worth the expense and trouble?

TIA

What do you use for heat?

Live in a mobile home with no heat. Has a propane furnace but I quit
using that decades ago because of expense. I use a space heater as
necessary.

Contact the consumer section of your electric provider and see if
they make cost comparisons available.
--
Mr.E

KenK April 9th 13 07:15 PM

Water heaters

I thought I answered this earlier but evidently I goofed when posting.
See below:

" wrote in
:

On Apr 9, 12:54*pm, George wrote:
[...]

Mostly showers and washing dishes, Not much.

What makes sense for a one person
household vs a family of 6 with teenagers could be very
different. And whether electricity costs 9c/kwh or 18c.

$0.155. I live alone.

As for converting the cooking, I doubt it amounts to enough
to make it worthwhile, at least from just the energy usage
part.

Problem is propane tank rent is ~$70 a year.

[email protected][_2_] April 9th 13 07:27 PM

Water heaters

" wrote :

On Apr 9, 12:54*pm, George wrote:
[...]

So, you're using propane just for hot water and to cook.
How much a year total are you spending on propane?
If it's $500, it's probably not worth considering converting
until the water heater fails. If it's $1000+, then you might
recover your costs fast enough for it to make sense.
But running the actual numbers is what you need to do.

[email protected] April 9th 13 07:35 PM

Water heaters

On 9 Apr 2013 16:46:16 GMT, KenK wrote:

Just had my propane tank filled - ~$5 gallon? Much more expensive than in
the past.

Wow! Where is this? I just sold 60gal (with the house) for half
that.

If I replaced my hot water heater with an electric next time it needs
replacing what is the price difference - electric more, less or about
equally expensive? Then too I'll need to get an electric line run. (I have
room for more breakers.) Then I'll replace my gas cooking range - that
shouldn't be too expensive. That will free me from propane.

What say? Not worth the expense and trouble?

Just incredulous that electricity is (significantly) cheaper than
propane.

Dean Hoffman[_13_] April 9th 13 09:22 PM

Water heaters

On 4/9/13 11:46 AM, KenK wrote:
Just had my propane tank filled - ~$5 gallon? Much more expensive than in
the past.

If I replaced my hot water heater with an electric next time it needs
replacing what is the price difference - electric more, less or about
equally expensive? Then too I'll need to get an electric line run. (I have
room for more breakers.) Then I'll replace my gas cooking range - that
shouldn't be too expensive. That will free me from propane.

What say? Not worth the expense and trouble?

TIA

One thing that might help would be a water heater insulation
blanket. Those don't cost much. Would lowering the water heater
temperature be an option?
I have a natural gas on demand water heater. The darn things are
spendy especially for mobile homes. I don't know if/when the payback
will be. My motivation for buying one was it was something different.
I live alone so only need hot water for a short time each day.
There are some on Ebay if you're curious. There are some threads
here discussing them.

Stormin Mormon[_9_] April 9th 13 10:22 PM

Water heaters

You're not in NYS?
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..

bob haller April 9th 13 11:01 PM

Water heaters

On Apr 9, 5:22*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
You're not in NYS?
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
* *www.lds.org
.
."KenK" wrote in message

Live in a mobile home with no heat. Has a propane furnace but I quit
using that decades ago because of expense. I use a space heater as
necessary.

propane recovery will be far better than electric.....

its shocking that electric resistance heat for home is cheaper than
propane

DerbyDad03 April 9th 13 11:30 PM

Water heaters

KenK wrote:
Just had my propane tank filled - ~$5 gallon? Much more expensive than in
the past.

If I replaced my hot water heater with an electric next time it needs
replacing what is the price difference - electric more, less or about
equally expensive? Then too I'll need to get an electric line run. (I have
room for more breakers.) Then I'll replace my gas cooking range - that
shouldn't be too expensive. That will free me from propane.

What say? Not worth the expense and trouble?

TIA

I don't know how much or what you cook but for me it would take some
humongously huge price difference for me to switch from a gas to an
electric stove.

Have you ever spent any significant amount of time cooking on an electric
range?

KenK April 9th 13 11:38 PM

Water heaters

" wrote in
:

On Apr 9, 2:15*pm, KenK wrote:
I thought I answered this earlier but evidently I goofed when
posting. See below:

" wrote
innews:752f01ff-673

:

On Apr 9, 12:54*pm, George wrote:
[...]

I wasn't planning to convert the heater until it failed.

KenK April 9th 13 11:41 PM

Water heaters

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:tG%
:

You're not in NYS?
.

New York State? No. Arizona.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.
.

KenK April 9th 13 11:44 PM

Water heaters

wrote in :

On 9 Apr 2013 16:46:16 GMT, KenK wrote:

Just had my propane tank filled - ~$5 gallon? Much more expensive than
in the past.

Wow! Where is this? I just sold 60gal (with the house) for half
that.

In Yuma AZ. The propane supplier, Amerigas, tells me the price varies
during the year. Didn't know that. Had no choice anyway, the tank started
to leak and new one had only 5% fill.

KenK April 9th 13 11:47 PM

Water heaters

Dean Hoffman " wrote in
:

On 4/9/13 11:46 AM, KenK wrote:
Just had my propane tank filled - ~$5 gallon? Much more expensive
than in the past.

If I replaced my hot water heater with an electric next time it needs
replacing what is the price difference - electric more, less or about
equally expensive? Then too I'll need to get an electric line run. (I
have room for more breakers.) Then I'll replace my gas cooking range
- that shouldn't be too expensive. That will free me from propane.

What say? Not worth the expense and trouble?

TIA

One thing that might help would be a water heater insulation
blanket. Those don't cost much. Would lowering the water heater
temperature be an option?

Run that as low as I can and still do dishes.

I have a natural gas on demand water heater. The darn things are
spendy especially for mobile homes. I don't know if/when the payback
will be. My motivation for buying one was it was something
different. I live alone so only need hot water for a short time each
day.

Hadn't considered that. I'm in same circumstance. Might be the best
option.

There are some on Ebay if you're curious. There are some threads
here discussing them.

Thanks. I'll look into that.

KenK April 9th 13 11:50 PM

Water heaters

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

KenK wrote:
Just had my propane tank filled - ~$5 gallon? Much more expensive
than in the past.

If I replaced my hot water heater with an electric next time it needs
replacing what is the price difference - electric more, less or about
equally expensive? Then too I'll need to get an electric line run. (I
have room for more breakers.) Then I'll replace my gas cooking range
- that shouldn't be too expensive. That will free me from propane.

What say? Not worth the expense and trouble?

TIA

I don't know how much or what you cook but for me it would take some
humongously huge price difference for me to switch from a gas to an
electric stove.

Have you ever spent any significant amount of time cooking on an
electric range?

Never tried one. Thought they worked as well as gas. What's the problem
with them? Haven't heard bad about them in cooking group but then again
hadn't looked for such posts. There may have many I'd not noticed.

[email protected] April 9th 13 11:59 PM

Water heaters

On Tue, 9 Apr 2013 22:30:19 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

KenK wrote:
Just had my propane tank filled - ~$5 gallon? Much more expensive than in
the past.

If I replaced my hot water heater with an electric next time it needs
replacing what is the price difference - electric more, less or about
equally expensive? Then too I'll need to get an electric line run. (I have
room for more breakers.) Then I'll replace my gas cooking range - that
shouldn't be too expensive. That will free me from propane.

What say? Not worth the expense and trouble?

TIA

I don't know how much or what you cook but for me it would take some
humongously huge price difference for me to switch from a gas to an
electric stove.

Have you ever spent any significant amount of time cooking on an electric
range?

All muy lfe except when camping

[email protected][_2_] April 10th 13 12:02 AM

Water heaters

On Apr 9, 6:47*pm, KenK wrote:
Dean Hoffman " wrote :

On 4/9/13 11:46 AM, KenK wrote:
[...]

"Where there's smoke there's toast!" Anon- Hide quoted text -

I seriously doubt that a tankless water heater is going
to be a good option. They cost considerably more. And
the main savings is that they eliminate the standby losses
that you have with a tank type, where hot water is sitting
there all the time. And then you have the issue of a
tankless gas or electric? Even to supply a mobile home,
an electric one is going to have to pull a lot of amps. Maybe
so much that the service can't support it without upgrading
it. Same thing with a gas one. You need a supply line
big enough to run it and that could require upgrading
back to your tank. The one advantage you would have is
your location, where the incoming water isn't real cold,
so you could get away with a smaller BTU unit.
If you start to look into tankless, those are the kinds of
things you want to look at, not just the cost of the unit.

[email protected] April 10th 13 12:03 AM

Water heaters

On 9 Apr 2013 22:47:03 GMT, KenK wrote:

Dean Hoffman " wrote in
:

On 4/9/13 11:46 AM, KenK wrote:
[...]

You will likely need at least a 1 inch propane line to the OD heater,
i n stead of the 3/8" you likely have now.

And the reason Propane costs more than electricity is the handling and
delivery.

[email protected] April 10th 13 12:04 AM

Water heaters

On 9 Apr 2013 22:50:51 GMT, KenK wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

KenK wrote:
[...]

Gas heat is more "responsive" - and faster. But an electric stove is
easier to keep clean - particularly if you go for a "smooth top".

Robert Neville April 10th 13 12:25 AM

Water heaters

KenK wrote:

Just had my propane tank filled - ~$5 gallon? Much more expensive than in
the past.

Dude! Are you buying propane bottles at the local 7/11? My last fill two weeks
ago was $1.72/gallon.

If I replaced my hot water heater with an electric next time it needs
replacing what is the price difference - electric more, less or about
equally expensive? Then too I'll need to get an electric line run. (I have
room for more breakers.) Then I'll replace my gas cooking range - that
shouldn't be too expensive. That will free me from propane.

It depends on what you are paying for electricity. At 12¢ per kWh, the
electrical cost comparison figure to a gallon of propane will be $3.24.

http://www.propane101.com/propanevselectricity.htm

Furthermore, electricity prices are expected to rise every year. Propane prices
are held in check by the price of oil and natural gas. Domestic supplies of both
are expected to increase thanks to the increasing in drilling on private lands.

[email protected][_2_] April 10th 13 12:36 AM

Water heaters

KenK wrote:
[...]

easier to keep clean - particularly if you go for a "smooth top".- Hide quoted text -

In general, I agree. A lot of this is personal preference and
also based on whatever experience folks have had. IF your
experience has been a real nice gas range and a cheap electric one,
then you're opinions may be different. Gas does tend to heat
faster. But then for making coffee, I use an electric kettle,
which boils water faster than either a gas stove or electric.
Gas is definitely more responsive. If a pan is getting too hot,
it will react faster when you turn it down. With electric, it may
burn. Another thing I hate about electric is that the older style
burners would never stay truely level and oil in a pan would
tend to run to one side or the other. But then the newer
flat cooktops I guess solve that. Also, with electric the heat
comes directly from the bottom and the sides tend to stay
cooler. With gas and a larger flame, the sides of the pan can
get so hot that stuff starts to burn on them or a spoon left
laying in it gets heated and burns you.

In the end, it's what you're used to and what you prefer.

Robert Neville April 10th 13 01:05 AM

Water heaters

" wrote:

In the end, it's what you're used to and what you prefer.

To a certain extent. But then I would also look at how many commercial kitchens
and professional chefs use electric ranges.

micky April 10th 13 01:06 AM

Water heaters

On 9 Apr 2013 22:41:10 GMT, KenK wrote:

You're not in NYS?
.

New York State? No. Arizona.

Same difference.

I don't know what that means, but I wanted to say it.

micky April 10th 13 01:15 AM

Water heaters

KenK wrote:
[...]

And you can tell by looking at the flame, how big the flame is and how
hot the fire. Looking at the electric stove knob doesn't tell me
much, but after 25 years, I knew some rules for some kinds of cooking.
Then I had to get a different brand of electric range and the
settings, Medium, Medium HIgh, etc. are not the same temps as what I
had learned. Or if they are, maybe i learned by which absolute
direction the knobs were pointing, not which setting they pointed to.

But then for making coffee, I use an electric kettle,
which boils water faster than either a gas stove or electric.
Gas is definitely more responsive. If a pan is getting too hot,
it will react faster when you turn it down. With electric, it may
burn. Another thing I hate about electric is that the older style
burners would never stay truely level and oil in a pan would
tend to run to one side or the other.

I have that trouble with an old GE. My even older Whirlpool used
plug-in electric "burners" and they were always level.

Hench April 10th 13 01:35 AM

Water heaters

On 4/9/2013 12:46 PM, KenK wrote:
Just had my propane tank filled - ~$5 gallon? Much more expensive than in
the past.

If I replaced my hot water heater with an electric next time it needs
replacing what is the price difference - electric more, less or about
equally expensive? Then too I'll need to get an electric line run. (I have
room for more breakers.) Then I'll replace my gas cooking range - that
shouldn't be too expensive. That will free me from propane.

What say? Not worth the expense and trouble?

TIA

Dude: Nobody knows where you live so how can they help you.

Natural gas is the cheapest and it doesn't make sense why YOU aren't
using it, but since you didn't tell us where you live...

have you considered Oil?

Since you didn't tell us where you live nobody can help you with your
electric theory, but in many places electricity rates change during the
day so it could cost double the BTU during those certain times.

I use natural gas for Stove/Oven, Water heater, Pool heater, Dryer, and
Furnace and it's the cheapest per BTU where I live and I'm not subjected
to crazy electrical rates that fluctuate during the day...

Hench April 10th 13 01:36 AM

Water heaters

On 4/9/2013 8:06 PM, micky wrote:
On 9 Apr 2013 22:41:10 GMT, KenK wrote:

You're not in NYS?
.

New York State? No. Arizona.

Same difference.

I don't know what that means, but I wanted to say it.

One area is a wasteland and the other is...

Hench April 10th 13 01:39 AM

Water heaters

On 4/9/2013 7:03 PM, wrote:
..

And the reason Propane costs more than electricity is the handling and
delivery.

What's the cost difference between propane and oil in Southern Ontario,
any idea at all?

Hench April 10th 13 01:45 AM

Water heaters

On 4/9/2013 7:25 PM, Robert Neville wrote:
KenK wrote:

[...]

With the USA on the fossil fuel energy production increase they have
been on the last few years, I would be doing everything I could to get
off of Electricity for those large energy users like heat and cooking...

[email protected] April 10th 13 02:05 AM

Water heaters

On Tue, 09 Apr 2013 20:39:11 -0400, Hench wrote:

On 4/9/2013 7:03 PM, wrote:
.

And the reason Propane costs more than electricity is the handling and
delivery.

What's the cost difference between propane and oil in Southern Ontario,
any idea at all?

From what I've seen recently fuel oil runs 1.21 to 1.33 over this
past winter from Oct to Feb, and proipane is about 10% higher in
Toronto area, 15% or more in Bracebridge.

[email protected] April 10th 13 02:06 AM

Water heaters

KenK wrote:

[...]

Natural gas fired generators should reduce the cost of electricity
too.

Ashton Crusher[_2_] April 10th 13 02:09 AM

Water heaters

On 9 Apr 2013 22:38:51 GMT, KenK wrote:

" wrote in
:

On Apr 9, 12:54*pm, George wrote:
[...]

Are you in a cold area of the country and how do you heat the house in
winter??

Ashton Crusher[_2_] April 10th 13 02:14 AM

Water heaters

On 9 Apr 2013 22:41:10 GMT, KenK wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:tG%
:

You're not in NYS?
.

New York State? No. Arizona.

Me too. Depending on what running the electric will cost you I
suspect you'll be better off in the long run just switching to
electric water heater and getting rid of all the propane fixed and
usage costs. But overall I don't think it will make much real
difference no matter what you decide, you are not a heavy user. An
electric heater may not recover quite as fast as gas would but it will
be fine.

DerbyDad03 April 10th 13 02:22 AM

Water heaters

KenK wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

KenK wrote:
[...]

A lot depends on how you cook, but my biggest issue is the response time. A
gas burner is immediately hot when I want to be, immediately cold when I
want it to be and immediately any temperature in between when I want it to
be.

I don't have to take a pot off of a gas burner when I want the cooking to
slow or stop. That's not an issue when you only have one or two pots on an
electric stove, but as soon as you reach 3 or 4, you run out places -
except for the counter - to move them to.

Electric burners stay hot - and dangerous - long after you remove the pot.
I've seen many a burnt cutting board and towels because they were put on an
open burner that was still hot.

Professional cooks use gas mainly because of the responsiveness. On the
other hand, some feel that electric ovens are more even from a temperature
perspective, so I have heard of cooks who have a gas stovetop and an
electric oven.

I grew up with gas. When my parents sold the house they bought a double
without gas and have been using (and hating) an electric stove for the past
10 or so years. Dad had to replace the oil fired boiler before this past
winter, so he had the utility run gas from the street and bought a gas
range, dryer and boiler - for both the front and back apartments. Big bucks
but Mom is finally happy.

gregz April 10th 13 03:19 AM

Water heaters

On Apr 9, 12:54 pm, George wrote:
[...]

Must be for a big tank. I have a medium small tank. Im not sure if I own
it. I have come up of a way to check level. I'm going to use my IR
thermometer and some hot water. I don't know why it took so long.

Grey

TimR[_2_] April 10th 13 03:55 AM

Water heaters

I've cooked with electric and with gas ranges over the years.

I think the gas has a slight edge in cooking ease.

But there's another factor. Do you have allergies or respiratory illnesses? There are some studies showing double the respiratory illnesses in children if you cook with gas.