Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default MDF tongue/groove wainscoting....nails AND glue?

I'm planning on putting in wainscoting in dining area, now that I've
removed the dang wallpaper. I have choice of cutting 4x8 panels or
using tongue and groove panels that are about 7" wide each.
Instructions I've seen are to use construction adhesive and finish
nails. I don't have a power nailer and don't want to buy the gear, so
I'm thinking just adhesive might do. I don't know how much the nailing
would add to the secureness if it is just nailed into drywall. I want a
nice, tidy job with no bulges, so wonder if adhesive sets right away
(enough to hold the strips fast). Stuff comes either 30" or 8', and I
want wains. to be about 36". Anyone installed this? How did it go?

Whomever put up the nasty wallpaper (and I really like wallpaper) must
have used atomic paste....it doesn't wash off. It was coated fabric,
really tough and probably original to our 1978 home. After removing
paper, the surface is pretty rough, except where it pulled off the
underlying paint....looks like someone put on enamel with no primer!
Yuck! Also under the paper are pencilled arrows, some point up, some
point down....done for wallpapering??? Mfg. home.

Instructions I found somewhere mentioned using "spacers" on the
electrical receptacles to adjust for the panelling (1/4" thick). I
didn't find any at Lowes...is there another name for them? Hard to
find? Need electrician to install them?

That prompts another question...a few of the receptacles in the house
are loose, so that plugs slip out...can that be fixed or do we need to
replace them?

tongue and groove clean up old oak easttwinlake Home Repair 2 July 27th 09 10:36 PM
Tongue-and-Groove shed door: glue? John Geddes UK diy 6 September 27th 07 08:59 PM
Tongue & groove cladding Dave UK diy 4 September 15th 07 07:49 PM
need tongue and groove cedar dog4 Woodworking 2 April 27th 06 03:50 PM
Tongue and Groove ceilings [email protected] Home Ownership 2 January 13th 05 03:48 PM