Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toilet overflow/Water Damage

Homer,

I had the same thing happen to me but my water did not cover the floor but it did seep thru the walls and into each closet on both sides of the bathroom. We cleaned it quickly but I don't think it was high enough to get the drywall wet. Is there anything besides running fans and keeping it ventilated to prevent mold?

On Wednesday, October 14, 1998 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, Ptrap11007 wrote:
My question is........besides the dry wall
damage, does water damage occur to the wood joists for example? When people
speak of water damage due to a pipe bursting or other cause, does the damage
occur to other portions of the home, aside from personal belongings, etc? Do
I need to rip down some dry wall and take a look further?

I did cut out one section of the dry wall (or is it sheet rock?) and finally
discovered what the slight discoloration on the ceiling was coming from.
Apparently, the cap on the large rigid PVC pipe that presumably is my toilet
plumbing wasn't tighten. Actually, it was quite loose. So I assume what was
happening is that small amount of waste from the toilet was leaking out the
end cap and staining the ceiling. So I tightened the thing. Is this correct,
or is there any reason I'm unaware of the this end cap on the PVC pipe I saw
should NOT be FULLY tightened?

Thanks in advance to all!

Homer:
The cap needs to have a sealant such as pipe dope put on it and tightened
very well. It sounds like some installed a cleanout inside your wall ( Cant do
that here) You need to leave a access hole so you can get back to the cleanout
in the future. Access panel, Etc. Unless you had alot of water standing along
time on the framing it usually wont hurt it. Be sure to let it dry real good
before sealing the area back up. Hope this helps.
Bill
Bills Plumbing
Friendswood, Texas