Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Washcloth down bathtub drain

On 2/21/2013 12:49 PM, blerg_blerg wrote:
So I had a plumber over to my condo unit (2nd floor) to fix a toilet issue (water spot on ceiling of unit below me). That night, no joke, a baby washcloth went down our bathtub drain. I have tried fishing for it with a plastic drain hook tool with no luck (it doesn't appear to be flexible enough to navigate the pipes). I can see water in the drain pipe, about 3-4" down. When taking a shower now, water fills up to about ankle depth in about 10-15 minutes but then seems to drain within the same amount of time. Some approaches to try that I've read about are various drain clog cleaners or bleach to try and dissolve the washcloth or using a wire hanger (all of ours are plastic) or plumber's snake to fish it out. I've also read that it might be easier to remove the stopper linker and go straight down that overflow pipe. I've tried to read a lot about this but am left wondering how my situation being on the 2nd floor of a condo/former apartment differs from the drain pipe setup o

f a normal house. For instance, my bathtub drain does not feel like it goes straight down very far before it takes a hard turn, presumably toward the wall. I guess I'm just looking for any suggestions/tips. I'm trying to resist calling a plumber since I already spent $250 that I didn't have on one earlier that same day and the guilty party in this case was a family member who was babysitting our daughter and giving her a bath. Thank you.

shop vac

Washcloth down bathtub drain Frank[_17_] Home Repair 7 February 22nd 13 04:11 AM
Bathtub drain Jark Home Repair 2 July 15th 07 12:33 AM
1962 bathtub drain Sparky Home Repair 6 November 5th 06 05:16 AM
Stuck bathtub drain... Have tried everything... need help Al Kondo Home Repair 10 May 10th 05 04:04 PM
Bathtub drain repair Puddin' Man Home Repair 5 April 1st 05 05:51 AM