Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tubular Skylight Experiences?

On Thursday, 11 March 1999 08:00:00 UTC, Mlkienholz wrote:
Does anyone have experience with tubular skylights,

We put a Solatube in a dark hallway/stairwell and have been *very* happy with
the results.

- ease of installation (actual, not what the marketing literature says!)

Easier than a skylight, though, depending on your house (we have an older home
with very shallow roof pitch and not much room to work in the attic), probably
more work than advertised. Half a day, tops.

- amount of light provided by a typical 13" tubular skylight

Lots. More than a skylight. We also have a light fixture in ours for night-time
use.

- noise level when it rains

None. Really.

- leak problems

None yet, with installation about two years ago.

- do any have "covers", in case you WANT the room to be dark?

We didn't get one, though you can. At night with a full moon, it doesn't get
bright, though light does come through. But the location of the solatube is
such that we don't ever need to make it dark for sleeping purposes etc.

- brand recommendations

We looked at Sun Tunnel and SolaTube. Solatube offered the light fixture option
and had a longer warranty (plus they were running an online special at the
time), so we picked them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 12:27:19 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

[...]

Two window companies I worked for a number of years ago both carried
the SolaTube. In the time I was involved in the window business I was
not aware of a single problem with them. At that time, the SolaTube
was only warranted if installed by a trained and authourized
dealer/installer.

Can't ID Tubular Thing Pavel314[_2_] Home Repair 21 January 26th 11 10:12 AM
Can't ID Tubular Thing WHAT IS IT [email protected] Metalworking 0 January 25th 11 06:33 PM
Can't ID Tubular Thing WHAT IS IT KD7HB Metalworking 0 January 25th 11 05:31 PM
tubular heaters Staffbull UK diy 8 November 19th 06 06:00 PM
Sun-Tek tubular skylights Tom Smith Home Ownership 4 August 1st 03 08:10 AM