Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Default Indoor air quality problems

On 2/15/2013 6:11 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
A couple friends of mine, the wife and at least
one of the adult children are sensetive to organic
chemical vapors. To the point of having to buy
low VOC latex paints, for the house.

Recently, it's been so bad, they had to evacuate
the house and move to a motel room.

WHAT is "so bad"?????? I'm sure there is something I'm missing about
the situation, but I cannot imagine what in a normal house would
suddenly cause the family to move!!??

I've had two experiences with families slowly (thankful it was slow)
being poisoned by CO, and their complaints were what forced discovery.
The first were neighbors, young couple (then, same as us) with kids. We
were to visit for dinner, and my hubby and kids arrived before me
because I was working. My family had been at their house couple of
hours when I arrived and immediately, when I walked in, my eyes started
to burn. I had never had that experience before, NOBODY ELSE was
bothered, and it bothered me enough that we discussed everything we
could imagine. The burning did not let up the whole time we were there.
My friend said she had had headaches, I think, and her plants were
dying. Next day at work, I asked my bud in the maintenance department
about it....we were thinking it must be the humidifier...and he knew
immediately. I called my friend and told her to call the gas co. asap,
which she did. She called me back, crying, because the CO was so bad
the gas co. would not let her back in the house!

The next event was a couple with brand new house, fireplace drawing too
much and pulling furnace exhaust back through the house. Both were
having headaches and I guess I had read up enough that I knew to tell
them to call the gas co.

I'm looking for ideas, for VOC lowering air filters,
or how to do more air exchanges without killing
the utility bill by leaving the windows all open.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

When I was there yesterday, I was not able to smell or detect anything out
of the ordinary. However, the man of the house tells me that his wife one
one adult child were both very sensetive to airborne stuff. That's about as
much as I know about the matter.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Norminn" wrote in message
m...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On 2/16/2013 7:17 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
When I was there yesterday, I was not able to smell or detect anything out
of the ordinary. However, the man of the house tells me that his wife one
one adult child were both very sensetive to airborne stuff. That's about as
much as I know about the matter.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

I love mysteries..........sensitive to airborne stuff and have had to
move out of the house? That suggests a very serious problem, worthy of
expert assessment. How long have they lived there? ALWAYS bothered by
airborne "stuff"? Breathing is important, and having trouble with it
usually suggests calling in other than the neighborhood (nothing
personal here) handyman. Really, do they have a CO monitor with a
battery? Does it work?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

I helped the family move in, a couple years ago. The house is a couple
decades old, not sure how old. The HO tells me that one of them had work
place exposure to organic solvents, and is now more sensetive. Wife has
fibromyalgia.

You've got a good point, needs someone with experience in air quality. Not
just the home handyman.
I'll have to ask about the CO detector.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Norminn" wrote in message
m...

I love mysteries..........sensitive to airborne stuff and have had to
move out of the house? That suggests a very serious problem, worthy of
expert assessment. How long have they lived there? ALWAYS bothered by
airborne "stuff"? Breathing is important, and having trouble with it
usually suggests calling in other than the neighborhood (nothing
personal here) handyman. Really, do they have a CO monitor with a
battery? Does it work?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On Feb 16, 8:07*am, Norminn wrote:
On 2/16/2013 7:17 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote: When I was there yesterday, I was not able to smell or detect anything out
of the ordinary. However, the man of the house tells me that his wife one
one adult child were both very sensetive to airborne stuff. That's about as
much as I know about the matter.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
* *www.lds.org
.

I love mysteries..........sensitive to airborne stuff and have had to
move out of the house? *That suggests a very serious problem, worthy of
expert assessment. *How long have they lived there? *ALWAYS bothered by
airborne "stuff"? *Breathing is important, and having trouble with it
usually suggests calling in other than the neighborhood (nothing
personal here) handyman. *Really, do they have a CO monitor with a
battery? *Does it work?

If I had a house that I thought had these problems, long
before I moved out or started filtering, venting, etc.,
I would get a professional company
to come in and do air samples. I don't know what it
costs, but I would bet for a few hundred bucks they would
find out what exactly is or isn't in the air.

As Norminn points out, it *could* be a lot of things. But
since Stormin can't smell it and we don't even have a
description of what it smells like, I sure wouldn't be trying
to use fresh air to solve an unknown problem. To the list
already suggested, I'd add mold and maybe it was a former
meth lab.....

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

That opens a thought. I was having some breathing problems in the living
room of my trailer. Finally found the problem, when I opened the window AC,
and it was full of mold slime. The HO place in question does have central
AC. Might be full of mold.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

If I had a house that I thought had these problems, long
before I moved out or started filtering, venting, etc.,
I would get a professional company
to come in and do air samples. I don't know what it
costs, but I would bet for a few hundred bucks they would
find out what exactly is or isn't in the air.

As Norminn points out, it *could* be a lot of things. But
since Stormin can't smell it and we don't even have a
description of what it smells like, I sure wouldn't be trying
to use fresh air to solve an unknown problem. To the list
already suggested, I'd add mold and maybe it was a former
meth lab.....

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On Feb 16, 9:56*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
That opens a thought. I was having some breathing problems in the living
room of my trailer. Finally found the problem, when I opened the window AC,
and it was full of mold slime. The HO place in question does have central
AC. Might be full of mold.

Might be full of rednecks cooking meth in there too....

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

wrote in message

If I had a house that I thought had these problems, long
before I moved out or started filtering, venting, etc.,
I would get a professional company
to come in and do air samples. * I don't know what it
costs, but I would bet for a few hundred bucks they would
find out what exactly is or isn't in the air.

As Norminn points out, it *could* be a lot of things. *But
since Stormin can't smell it and we don't even have a
description of what it smells like, I sure wouldn't be trying
to use fresh air to solve an unknown problem. *To the list
already suggested, I'd add mold and maybe it was a former
meth lab.....

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

That could help explain the monster truck
in the driveway, and the foot prints in the
butter dish?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elephant_joke

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote:
That opens a thought. I was having some breathing problems in the living
room of my trailer. Finally found the problem, when I opened the window
AC,
and it was full of mold slime. The HO place in question does have central
AC. Might be full of mold.

Might be full of rednecks cooking meth in there too....

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 06:58:02 -0500, Norminn
wrote:

[...]

VOC and CO are two totally different problems. Do we know what kind of
VOC we are talking about? Formaledhyde? petroleum solvent vapours?

From household cleaners, plastics, shoes and leather goods,
furniture, flooring, etc? What just changed in the house? New
curtains? Painted a room? new furniture polish? a new candle or
seasonal decoration? Something made in China?????