Senior Member

Default XL pipeline from Alberta to Texas

President Barack Obama was silent on the issue of the XL pipeline that proponents want to build between Alberta and Texas.

His silence on the issue is seen to be favourable toward the pipeline because it appears that he is trying to distance himself from comments he made earlier in his presidency where the said that overland pipelines could be a threat to the environment.

Canada has large oil reserves in the form of tar sand oil, and it is this tar sand oil that is expected to be transported to Texas via the XL pipeline. Texas has lots of unused refining capacity for that oil. Proponents of the pipeline point out that building the pipeline is a win-win situation for both the US and Canada both because of the jobs it would provide in the near term and the energy independance it would provide the US over the medium and long term. The US gets a reliable supply of oil and Canada gets a customer for it's oil without having to run the much greater environmental risks of transporting that oil by sea.

I'm hoping that within the next few months, your president will make an announcement saying that he's approving the building of that pipeline.

Last edited by nestork : February 13th 13 at 05:52 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nestork,

Proponents of the pipeline point out that building the pipeline is a
win-win situation for both the US and Canada both because of the jobs it
would provide in the near term and the energy independance it would
provide the US over the medium and long term.

How does buying oil from Canada give the USA energy independence? The USA
will be depending on Canada. Canada is a foreign country.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 18:45:20 -0500, "David L. Martel"
wrote:

How does buying oil from Canada give the USA energy independence? The USA
will be depending on Canada. Canada is a foreign country.

Dave M.

Lesser dependence on OPEC and oil from people that want to kill us?
Maybe?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

How does buying oil from Canada give the USA energy independence? The
USA
will be depending on Canada. Canada is a foreign country.

Dave M.

Lesser dependence on OPEC and oil from people that want to kill us?
Maybe?

The refined fuel has been promised as export. That was in the orginal
announcement when the pipeline was first proposed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 21:50:28 -0600, "NotMe" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

How does buying oil from Canada give the USA energy independence? The
USA
will be depending on Canada. Canada is a foreign country.

Dave M.

Lesser dependence on OPEC and oil from people that want to kill us?
Maybe?

The refined fuel has been promised as export. That was in the orginal
announcement when the pipeline was first proposed.

Isn't the oil different in quality? Export for those that need or use
it....

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

* How does buying oil from Canada give the USA energy independence? The
USA
will be depending on Canada. Canada is a foreign country.

Dave M.

Lesser dependence on OPEC and oil from people that want to kill us?
Maybe?

The refined fuel has been promised as export. *That was in the orginal
announcement when the pipeline was first proposed.

I would like to see your reference for that announcement,
because I don't believe it exists.

I have seem the libs trying to block it, try to turn it into
that, cobbling together their case from any scrap they
can. Oil is a fungible commodity. It will ultimatley find
it's way onto the word market one way or another.
It's hard for me to believe someone building a pipeline
stated that the oil will only be exported. Is it likely that
after it's refined, some of it gets exported? Sure.
But if that's the benchmark, then might as well stop
a lot of the oil sources in the USA.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

* How does buying oil from Canada give the USA energy independence? The
USA
will be depending on Canada. Canada is a foreign country.

Dave M.

Lesser dependence on OPEC and oil from people that want to kill us?
Maybe?

The refined fuel has been promised as export. *That was in the orginal
announcement when the pipeline was first proposed.

Yep, last I heard the US is a net EXPORTER of oil. IOW words we are
shipping
more oil out than we are bringing in.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 15, 11:55*am, Harry K wrote:
On Feb 13, 7:50*pm, "NotMe" wrote:

.. .

wrote:

* How does buying oil from Canada give the USA energy independence? The
USA
will be depending on Canada. Canada is a foreign country.

Dave M.

Lesser dependence on OPEC and oil from people that want to kill us?
Maybe?

The refined fuel has been promised as export. *That was in the orginal
announcement when the pipeline was first proposed.

Yep, last I heard the US is a net EXPORTER of oil. *IOW words we are
shipping
more oil out than we are bringing in.

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

That isn't true. We are producing a lot more oil today then
10 years ago. And imports have dropped. But the USA still
imports about 40% of it's oil. Part of that is when you have an
economy that sucks, demand is reduced from what it otherwise
would be. The bigger part is new production though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

David M:

Perhaps nobody will be dependent on anybody.

Perhaps this pipeline is part of some "north American union"?
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L. Martel[_2_] View Post
How does buying oil from Canada give the USA energy independence? The USA will be depending on Canada. Canada is a foreign country. Dave M.
Well, so far, none of our Prime Ministers have gone to the General Assembly at the UN and called your President George W. Bush "the Devil'.
2006 Chávez speech at the United Nations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, there aren't quite as many Canadians that have taken a solumn vow to martyr themselves waging holy war against the American infidel.

Canadians speak the same language as Americans.

We live under a similar democratic system of government as Americans.

We have much the same culture as America.

We inherited the same legal system, the British Common Law, from Britain.

We practice the same major religions as Americans.

The Canadian military and coast guard regularily train with the American military and coast guard and those of other member countries of NATO. Our police forces and spy agencies share information with each other as well.

And there are literally millions of personal, professional and business relationships between the people and businesses in our two countries.

I could go on, but you can see why a state of friendship would normally be expected to arise between countries with so much in common and so many ties between them.

Last edited by nestork : February 14th 13 at 05:09 AM