Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Air to Air exchangers?

We have the basic problem of too much moisture in the basement
of Mom's farmhouse. We have a dehumidifier which helps a lot. Are
air to air exchangers a better alternative?

Thanks muchly gentlemen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 19:34:25 -0600, Dean Hoffman
" wrote:

We have the basic problem of too much moisture in the basement
of Mom's farmhouse. We have a dehumidifier which helps a lot. Are
air to air exchangers a better alternative?

Thanks muchly gentlemen

Sometimes a sump-pump works better - but air to air heat exchangers
(heat recovery devices) ARE quite effective.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" *wrote:

* * * * *We have the basic problem of too much moisture in the basement
of Mom's farmhouse. * We have a dehumidifier which helps a lot. * Are
air to air exchangers a better alternative?

* * * * * * * * * * * * Thanks muchly gentlemen

* Sometimes a sump-pump works better - but air to air heat exchangers
(heat recovery devices) ARE quite effective.

Effective at what?

The problem statement is so vague that it's hard to say what is happening,
much less how to fix it.

1)fix the way the moisture is getting in.
2)depends a LOT on the conditions.

IN the case of humidity,
there's an interesting online calculator that relates
humidity, temperature and the probability of mold growth.

http://www.dpcalc.org/default.asp

Depending on the problem you're trying to solve...if
it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Since it's humidifier vs air exchanger, I'd assume it's
humidity that he's talking about, but you're right, not much
to go on. The advantage of an air exchanger approach is
that it replaces the air, so it can help if the basement has
a smell, even with the dehumidifier. Not sure on the
efficiency of one vs the other and how they compare
in energy usage and loss.

I can tell you one thing that I think is a waste of money.
That is the Wave thing that is advertised on the radio all the
time. From what I could tell, it relies on just venting basement
air outside and replenishing it with air coming from upstairs
in the house. They claim it costs very little compared to
a dehumidifier and gives you fresh air. It's operation
sounds right, but from what I can see, they are comparing
the energy used for it's fan to that of a dehumidier. They
completely neglect that the air that is being pulled from
upstairs winds up replaced with outside air. That means
if you're heating or cooling, you've placed a big additional
load now on the HVAC. It would be like placing a fan in
a window, blowing air out. And then there is the fact that
it costs 10X what a humidifier costs and it's bascily just a fan
with a humidistat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" *wrote:

* * * * *We have the basic problem of too much moisture in the basement
of Mom's farmhouse. * We have a dehumidifier which helps a lot. * Are
air to air exchangers a better alternative?

* * * * * * * * * * * * Thanks muchly gentlemen
* Sometimes a sump-pump works better - but air to air heat exchangers
(heat recovery devices) ARE quite effective.

Effective at what?

Effective at lowering interior relative humidity in the winter.
Possibly more effective than his present dehumidifier. But like I said
- a sump pump MAY be more effective.

The problem statement is so vague that it's hard to say what is happening,
much less how to fix it.

1)fix the way the moisture is getting in.
2)depends a LOT on the conditions.

IN the case of humidity,
there's an interesting online calculator that relates
humidity, temperature and the probability of mold growth.

http://www.dpcalc.org/default.asp

Depending on the problem you're trying to solve...if
it ain't broke, don't fix it.- Hide quoted text -

Well, I guess a sump pump may be more effective if the
basement is flooded. That would seem to be unlikely
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/11/2013 10:23 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 06:01:45 -0800, wrote:

" wrote:

[...]

We need more info.
I have a lot to say about HRV's and use a homemade one myself.
But it's pointless to discuss if it's not in the solution set.

A basic HRV does nothing zero, nada to reduce humidity.
A fan can reduce humidity by blowing out wet air and replacing it
with drier air. And that only works if the outside dew point is
significantly lower than the inside dew point...and in particular
if the dew point is below the surfaces in the basement.
That's why I linked the dpcalc site. It saves you the trouble
of navigating the psychrometric chart and also gives you some idea
of whether mold is likely to grow.

You MUST keep all the surfaces in the basement above the dew point
of the inside air...and that's often higher than the dew point
of the outside air...unless you use a dehumidifier.

AFTER you determine that exchanging air solves the problem,
you can employ the features of the heat exchanger to reclaim
some of the lost energy.

http://ecorenovator.org/forum/conser...hanger-40.html

If you can't arrange it so that venting solves the problem
with passive thermodynamics,
you don't have much choice other than a dehumidifier...AND
preventing air influx to the greatest extent possible.

And all this assumes that water isn't seeping in somewhere.
It's not a simple problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/11/13 8:01 AM, mike wrote:

Effective at what?

The problem statement is so vague that it's hard to say what is happening,
much less how to fix it.

1)fix the way the moisture is getting in.
2)depends a LOT on the conditions.

IN the case of humidity,
there's an interesting online calculator that relates
humidity, temperature and the probability of mold growth.

http://www.dpcalc.org/default.asp

Depending on the problem you're trying to solve...if
it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Yes, the problem is excessive humidity. There are no problems
with seepage as far as I know.
The dehumidifier works but I was wondering if the air to air
exchangers might operate cheaper. It was curiosity that prompted the
question more than anything.
This is in Nebraska so the outside humidity should be lower than the
basement's frequently. I really haven't done any research on that
though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" * wrote:

[...]

Of course it can reduce humidity in the basement. It
depends on the humidity levels and temperatures of the
air being exchanged.

A fan can reduce humidity by blowing out wet air and replacing it
with drier air. And that only works if the outside dew point is
significantly lower than the inside dew point...and in particular
if the dew point is below the surfaces in the basement.

Which contradicts what was said above, no?

http://ecorenovator.org/forum/conser...ilation-heat-e...

If you can't arrange it so that venting solves the problem
with passive thermodynamics,
you don't have much choice other than a dehumidifier...AND
preventing air influx to the greatest extent possible.

And all this assumes that water isn't seeping in somewhere.
It's not a simple problem.- Hide quoted text -

heat exchangers David Lesher Metalworking 14 February 12th 10 06:15 AM
DHW heat exchangers Andy UK diy 23 December 8th 05 12:36 AM
O.T. Heat Exchangers ..... Silver or Black? [email protected] Metalworking 3 September 23rd 05 04:45 AM
Air exchangers and bathroom venting habbi Home Repair 7 February 28th 05 11:53 PM
Plate heat exchangers Markus Splenius UK diy 4 January 11th 05 08:20 PM