Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Did Lightning Rods do any Good?

A lot of older houses had lightning rods on their roofs. Particularly
farm houses. They would have a thick braided cable that went to ground
rods. Many of them had a glass ball in the center of the copper rod.

I'm wondering of they really did any good. Sure, you want to ground a
strike, but on some ways, it would seem to me that they also could
attract lightning. Anything that is a high point in an area attracts
it, such as large trees. Of course metal attracts, so putting a metal
rod on a roof is an attractant. In a direct strike, I doubt they would
do anything, in fact they might get hot enough to start a fire. But a
discharge nearby could be sent to ground via the lightning rods.

One other thing, was there any usefulness to the glass balls in the
middle, or were they strictly decorations?

Lightning conductors Chris UK diy 18 July 6th 10 05:42 PM
catching lightning.. The Natural Philosopher[_2_] UK diy 62 March 13th 10 11:14 PM
Speaking of Lightning... Red Green Home Repair 0 June 5th 08 01:40 PM
Lightning protection Tom MacIntyre Electronics Repair 50 July 11th 05 05:44 AM
Lightning jakdedert Electronics Repair 16 July 3rd 05 09:17 PM