Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

Default Gas engine exhaust extensions and back pressure

Awl --

Recently, in asking about pipe diam/length and pressure drops for natural
gas, I was surprised at how significantly delivered gas volume drops with
length. For example, for 3/4" pipe, the cfh drops from about 350 to 250 to
200 for run lengths of 10, 20, and 30 feet. I"m wondering if this is even
correct.... from http://www.propane-generators.com/natural-gas-chart.htm

If this is indeed correct, I could assume the same is true of exhaust back
pressure with pipe length. The flange on the muffler is 1.5" OD (proly 1
3/8 id), and I want to put a 25 ft flexible exhaust extension on it, like in
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...002_0306020506

and the Q is, what id tubing would be practical to use? The tubing is
given by id, so 1.5" should hose clamp to my 1.5" flange. But, I can go
larger, if back pressure will be an issue, and just machine a bushing.
The motor is a 22 hp Honda GX690, twin cylinder, with a single muffler.

Opinions on the "right diameter" for this run? Should I use a high temp
gasket material along with a hose clamp? I'll be monitoring CO.
--
EA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

"Existential Angst" wrote:

Awl --

Recently, in asking about pipe diam/length and pressure drops for natural
gas, I was surprised at how significantly delivered gas volume drops with
length. For example, for 3/4" pipe, the cfh drops from about 350 to 250 to
200 for run lengths of 10, 20, and 30 feet. I"m wondering if this is even
correct.... from http://www.propane-generators.com/natural-gas-chart.htm

If this is indeed correct, I could assume the same is true of exhaust back
pressure with pipe length. The flange on the muffler is 1.5" OD (proly 1
3/8 id), and I want to put a 25 ft flexible exhaust extension on it, like in
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...002_0306020506

-snip-
Don't know the answer- but I'm interested in it-- Be sure you keep
a.h.r updated.

My instincts would be to put a tach on the machine with the old
muffler and check it again when the new one is hooked up. If it is
the same- forget about it.

My problem with flex-anything is that it often takes more to fasten it
in place than it would take to use rigid stuff in the first place.
--especially with steel exhaust which is likely to get hot enough to
start fires along it's length.

If this is going into a fixed place and won't be moved around, I'd
stop at a muffler shop and see what they'd charge for a section of
smooth pipe. [bent up if you dare- or with a couple 'L's]

Jim
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

response limited to rec.autos.tech, alt.home.repair

On Jan 9, 2:56*am, "Existential Angst" wrote:

The motor is a 22 hp Honda GX690, twin cylinder, with a single muffler.

Opinions on the "right diameter" for this run?

If only it were that simple.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...h/viewall.html

I think you might want to Google "exhaust scavenging".
-----

- gpsman
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

3/8 id), and I want to put a 25 ft flexible exhaust extension on it, like inhttp://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=EXH40002_0....

and the Q is, what id tubing would be practical to use? * The tubing is
given by id, so 1.5" should hose clamp to my 1.5" flange. *But, I can go
larger, if back pressure will be an issue, and just machine a bushing.
The motor is a 22 hp Honda GX690, twin cylinder, with a single muffler.

Opinions on the "right diameter" for this run? *Should I use a high temp
gasket material along with a hose clamp? *I'll be monitoring CO.
--
EA

The big difference in exhaust systems is the volume of air reduces
rapidly with distance down the pipe as the exhaust cools off. On
intake, there is no temperature differential as the propane/nat gas
comes thru the pipe, but the exhaust cools rapidly so the diameter of
the pipe, if constant, has varying effects on the air flow. Keep us
posted on whatever you find out.