Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default Metric Lock Wing Nuts? Thule's Self-Loosening Fasteners

I have a Thule ski rack as well as a Thule cargo box. Both suffer from a
poorly designed attachment system which uses knurled knobs with nuts
(essentially wing nuts). They have a tendency to slowly loosen from
vibration. On my last trip, one of the ski rack knobs had completely
unscrewed itself and fell off inside the ski rack.

On the cargo box I cut some wooden rectangles with cutouts for the knobs
which I placed over the knobs so they can't unscrew. Yesterday for the
ski rack I drilled two holes on each side of the four knobs and took
some aluminum tent stakes and formed then into an arc that goes over the
knob and through the holes to prevent the knob from turning.

What I really wanted to find was some stainless metric locking wing
nuts, but those don't seem to be available anywhere in the U.S.. SAE
sizes are readily available.

Extra long (wide?) wing nuts wanted - where might I find some? [email protected] UK diy 5 April 19th 09 08:20 PM
nuts with nylon inserts versus lock washers and jamb nuts mm Home Repair 30 May 8th 08 04:36 AM
Brass Wing Nuts for Toilet Seat Merryterry UK diy 7 January 22nd 08 11:19 PM
Wing Nuts Ken Sterling Metalworking 12 February 12th 05 04:24 AM
RIGHT WING NUTS vastly outnumber LEFT WING NUTS . ROBB Metalworking 0 September 28th 03 11:54 PM