DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   An opinion on gun control (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/350792-opinion-gun-control.html)

Ashton Crusher[_2_] December 24th 12 06:38 AM

An opinion on gun control

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 17:28:19 -0600, " Attila Iskander"
wrote:

"Doug" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 14:17:51 -0600, " Attila Iskander"
wrote:

"Doug" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 06:59:26 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Dec 23, 9:47 am, Doug wrote:
On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 05:55:19 -0800 (PST), "

wrote:
On Dec 22, 11:39 pm, Doug wrote:
On Sat, 22 Dec 2012 21:14:25 -0600, " Attila Iskander"

wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Hmmm,
Are you going to arm your self with assault rifle and 200 rounds
magazine
or drum?

"Assault rifles" are and have been strickly controlled since 1934
(They are machine guns don't ya know...)
You have to jump through all kinds of hoops with the Feds and
local
police
and pay a $200 tax before you can get one.
If one the other hand you are babbling your ignorance about
"assault
weapons" then you are talking about CERTAIN SEMI-automatic (single
shot to
single trigger pull) rifles that have certain cosmetic features
like
bayonet lug that magically turn them into "assault weapons" while
changing
NOTHING about how they operate, or anything else about their
performance.

Owning a 200 round magazine or drum is really a novelty item that
you would
only use for fun but not for serious shooting
They have a NASTY habit of jamming at the worst moments.
Smart shooters stick with what the firearm was designed to use
normally

You know wackos will come there with such a weapon with mass
killing power
in short time.

And ???
What ??

All I need is just one shot to stop them
And then what ?

I am not against owning fire arm, first step should be banning
the
ownership of assault type automatic weapons and high capacity
magazines/clips.

LOL
Are you really this ****ing stupid ?
IN the same sentence you declare, you're OK with owning firearms
but
let's
just ban firearms

And owning a gun is one thing using it properly and well is
another,
how many owners are like that?

Just about most who own them
The seem to be much better qualified to using their guns properly
than car
drivers with all the training and licensing they go through...
Let's see
Gun owners with about 330,000,000 guns, have about 600 deadly
accidents a
year, about a thousand injuries, and property damage that is so
low
as to be
negligible.
Car owners with about 300,000,000 cars have over 43,000 deaths,
injuries in
the millions and property damage in the Billions

Maybe you should worry more about car owners.

Are always ready for surprise attack? If teachers are armed can
they
concentrate on teaching or be on the look oiut for the sudden
danger?

If you carry, you don't become a defact security guard
It's much closer to carrying an umbrella in case it rains.

IMO, the more gun, the more possibility of trouble. No thanks
no gun for me or my family.

Apparently stupidity is a requirement for hoplophobia.
I feel sorry for your defenseless family.

Hopefully your defective genes will stop with you and yours.

You bypass all the checks and balances if you buy privately and 40%
of
all gun purchases are done this way.

If I understood the NRA, I agree only partially with them. I like
the
idea of armed guards (professionals) in schools but not armed
teachers. But armed guards in schools will not solve the overall
problem of mass killings because the criminals will just move from
schools to churches, malls, stadiums, train stations, etc... or
other
places with less resistance.

I too was in favor of no semi automatic weapons in civilian hands
but
I now I prefer to say it differently now.....I don't want civilians
have guns as good or better than the military or police use, unless
they already own them. In other words, I don't want military or
police to be out gunned by civilians. If they satisfy this,
civilians
can get whatever guns they want.

Do you realize that we did ban "assault weapons" and high
capacity magazines for a decade, starting in 1994. Study after
study done by various organizations, including the CDC, which
clearly has no pro-gun agenda, concluded it made no difference
in crime rates, murder rates, etc.

Oh by the way, that's not what the CDC said. If you go to their
website...http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5214a2.htm
they say ....
"Evidence was INSUFFICIENT to determine the effectiveness of any of
these laws for the following reasons." They explain this as
depending on which study you go by, some say it went higher and other
studies say it went lower.

Therefore, since it's inconclusive, I'd say to do it because taking no
action is NOT the solution.- Hide quoted text -

Let's apply that logic. We have a new experimental drug for
cancer. Many studies have been done. Some show the drug
increased the 5 year survival rate. An equal number say the
drug decreased the 5 year survival rate. So, the FDA should
approve the drug, put it on the market, because, as you say
"taking no action is not the solution".

You really are quite the village idiot.

No you are. Guns are not drugs.

Really ?
At least you figured that much out
So let's try it again

STUDIES show that gun-control has NO EFFECT because the results are
INCONCLUSIVE

No not ineffective, just INCONCLUSIVE. See my earlier reference to
the CDC.

If you spend money and effort for 30+ years and yet get NO POSITIVE
DEMONSTRATABLE RESULTS, only a fool would not consider that a failure and
argue to keep doing the same all over again.
Are you a fool ??

I'm beginning to think he's a highly placed official in the War on
Drugs.

Ashton Crusher[_2_] December 24th 12 06:43 AM

An opinion on gun control

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 10:09:14 -0800 (PST), marco
wrote:

300 million guns in the country

young,
or immature people do stupid things [i was young once,
and did some pretty stupid things, so i should know]
kids bringing guns to elementary school!
what's going on?

come on people, hasn't gotten out of control?
this it nuts!

i suspect will are going to see more of this type of thing,
simply because of copycats, or for who knows what reason,
but i hope i'm wrong

marc

The solution to copykats is to start licensing and regulating ALL
media outlets. The safety of ourselves,and especially our children,
is just too important to let media outlets continue to operate their
vast networks of information delivery without proper oversight and
control by the gvt. You might object that it would violate the second
amendment but our founders never envisioned a day when a few media
giants would have control over everything the average citizen sees and
hears. So in the context of today's world we must have licensing and
control of all media. It's for the benefit of everyone. Anyone who
objects to this simply has no regard for human life.

Ashton Crusher[_2_] December 24th 12 06:50 AM

An opinion on gun control

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 19:33:00 -0500, Arms and the Man
wrote:

KR Williams ) wrote:

I think armed guards (professionals) will be better at protecting
the students.

Possible but an incredibly expensive solution.

I'm not saying that armed teachers can't protect students but I
see potential problems with this idea.

What problems? Teachers are citizens, too.

You are incapable of understanding human-factors, ergonomics and
probabilities.

Think of the thousands of hours, hundreds of thousands of hours per week
that teachers are in classrooms, interacting with students.

Now imagine that some fraction (some HIGH fraction according to the
wishes of some people) of those teachers bring guns into the classroom.

Now imagine what can happen because people are people and kids are kids.

Imagine what can happen when guns fall out of a holsters or waistbands.

Imagine what can happen when guns are absent-mindedly left somewhere -
in a lunch room or washroom or a desk.

Imagine what can happen when a gun is grabbed by a student.

Imagine what can happen when a chalk-board eraser falls to the ground or
a delinquent in the playground fires a pellet gun or throws a rock at
the window and the teacher mistakes that for a gun-shot - and reaches
for their gun and fumbles and the gun is discharged.

Imagine what can happen when a teacher is stressed out and at the end of
their rope in a classroom full of noisy, bratty kids.

I know that you, KR Williams, lives in an alternate universe where
nothing ever goes wrong, but think a moment about this universe and how
real people act and function.

What a nice country to live in.

Everyone armed - and on edge.

Those are all the same tired old arguments the anti-gunners trot out
every time an effort was mounted to allow citizens the right to carry
weapons. Eventually many states allowed it anyway. And guess what..
NONE of those ridiculous "what ifs" happens. To hear you anti gunners
tell it, every person in the world is just a hairs width away from
going insane and killing everyone within a 50 mile radius. What you
need to realize is that every day you are out and about you
undoubtedly are within shooting distance of someone who's not a
criminal carrying a gun and guess what, nothing happens. You want to
disarm 350 million people because of the possibly of an average of
perhaps one person out of those 350 million people might go crazy and
start a mass shooting. It's completely irrational to think as you do.
You have far more chance of being struck by lightening yet I bet you
don't have lightening rods on your house and I bet you go out in the
rain anyway if you have a desire to.

harry December 24th 12 07:42 AM

An opinion on gun control

On Dec 23, 11:12*am, The Daring Dufas the-daring-du...@stinky-
finger.net wrote:
On 12/23/2012 3:34 AM, harry wrote:

On Dec 23, 6:42 am, The Daring Dufas the-daring-du...@stinky-
finger.net wrote:
On 12/22/2012 11:25 PM, Homo Gay wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Most commercial establishments have nothing to gain, and much to
lose (from a legal / liability / insurance standpoint) to NOT
make / announce that their property is a "gun-free" zone.

Rarely have I seen such an announcement in any business.

Do some / many / most / all public schools in the US have signage
declaring they are a gun-free zone?

We know that many public-sector facilities (schools, libraries,
gov't offices, court buildings, DMV, airports, etc)
are probably gun-free zones even if they are not signed as such.

Have you ever been to one of those places? *I've seen some rather
strong armament at airports, especially in Europe. *Courts and many
government buildings have armed guards.

I wasn't counting any "duly-deputized" members of the law-enforcement
community, nor anyone hired as armed security in those places (airports,
courts and gov't buildings).

We are talking about civilians carrying personal firearms in public in
this thread.

The shooter made no attempt to hook into any social networks
or leave behind anything that would give the world a statement
or make him famous.

You think killing 26 people they would not put his name in the
paper?

He wasn't even carrying his own ID at the time.

Did he kill those kids because he wanted to be famous (or infamous) ?

Or did he kill them *regardless* the media coverage that would result?

I know a lot of right-wing AM-radio talking heads have put forward the
idea that the liberal media is facilitating and fostering these
mass-murders because their coverage of the event is showing the next
mass-murderer how he can be famous, but I don't buy that argument, and
I'm sure a lot of other sane, rational people don't either.

Clinically-sane, rational people (which, by the way, includes right-wing
AM-radio talking heads) are be definition incapable to know what drives
insane, irrational people to do what they do. *We are applying our own
idea of why we might want to commit such acts (mass murder = become
famous).

He did not have to leave a Facebook message to get notoriety.

As I said above, we can't even pretend to know why he killed those
kids. *It's a foregone conclusion that when something shocking and
disturbing happens, that the media is going to report it.

If he was driven by a voice in his head that told him to kill those kids
- do you think he gave any consideration to this so-called "fame" that
you keep talking about?

The solution to this problem lies in the product itself - not in
laws that govern who can sell them or who can obtain them, nor
in laws that govern how consumers handle them.

That is part of the solution. *We also have to find what causes
this type of behavior. *Fifty years ago no one was shooting up
schools that I'm aware of.

Fifty (even 10 or 20) years ago, divorced single women with kids also
probably didn't own an arsenal of guns like this woman did.

I'm sure there were troubled boys 50 years ago. *The difference being
their moms pantry didn't double as an armory.

Homo Gay, typical of Liberal morons to use the word "arsenal" to
describe a small number of firearms owned by a civilian. I imagine
if the woman owned a bag of wheat sitting in a 50gal drum, those
of your ilk would describe it as a grain silo. If you understood
history at all, you would know that there is a generation of kids
emerging into adulthood who have been loaded with behavior modifying
drugs since they were small children at the behest of the Liberal
infested educational system. Little boys are drugged because they
behave like little boys and they grow up to become psychotic adults.
That didn't happen 50 years ago when firearms were more likely to be
handled by children under adult supervision and approval. 50 years
ago, even in cities which now have severe restrictions on people's
right to own firearms, there would be a rifle team in many of the
high schools where children were exposed to those evil guns and taught
how to fire them. The damage done to a population by drug use is best
demonstrated by the morons they vote into office who are drug addled
themselves. O_o

TDD

Funny (not ha ha) non of these things happen in the UK.

You can put most of it down to Hollywood and the violent video games
now circulating.
Eg the Arnie/Clint moveis
They affect the brains of the simple minded.

We have the simple minded over here but they can't get hold of these
weapons.

Are British schoolchildren pumped full of Ritalin to control their
behavior or have the more Conservative humans kept control of the
government run schools? O_o

TDD

I don't see the connection.

harry December 24th 12 07:49 AM

An opinion on gun control

On Dec 23, 12:39*pm, Dean Hoffman "
wrote:
On 12/23/12 3:11 AM, harry wrote:

Think of it more like an area/country inhabited by gun nuts is a
danger to the surrounding area/whole world.

Since the Connecticut massacre, 500 more Americans have died by
gunshot. By accident or design.
Happy Christmas for a lot of people.

What a nation of whinging cowards you are.

* * Probably a hundred Americans die per day in traffic accidents.
About 2 five year olds die per day just in the normal course of events
in the U.S.
* It was/is a terrible thing for those involved but not a big deal in the
grand scheme of things.

* * *The commentary from Correia is awfully long. * Did you see his
comments on the Mumbai, India attack by the ten terrorists?
Quote:

Let’s take a look at what happens when a country finally succeeds in
utterly stamping out its gun culture. Mumbai, 2008. Ten armed jihadi
terrorists simply walked into town and started shooting people. It was a
rather direct, straight forward, ham fisted, simple terrorist attack.
They killed over 150 and wounded over 300. India has incredibly strict
gun laws, but once again, criminals didn’t care.
That’s not my point this time however, I want to look at the response.
These ten men shut down an entire massive city and struck fear into the
hearts of millions for THREE DAYS. Depending on where this happened in
America it would have been over in three minutes or three hours. The
Indian police responded, but their tactics sucked. The marksmanship
sucked. Their leadership sucked. Their response utterly and completely
fell apart.
In talking afterwards with some individuals from a small agency of our
government who were involved in the clean-up and investigation, all of
whom are well trained, well practiced, gun nuts, they told me the
problem was that the Indian police had no clue what to do because they’d
never been taught what to do. Their leadership hated and feared the gun
so much that they stamped out the ability for any of their men to
actually master the tool. When you kill your gun culture, you kill off
your instructors, and those who can pass down the information necessary
to do the job.

So if there had been others carrying guns they would
Have fled. (As in the Arizona shootup when a little old unarmed lady
took the shooters gun)
Shot a few more innocent people.
Shot the non-terrorist/armed citzens by mistake.

You are living in the Hollywood ****head fantasy world where the good
guy/gun toting hero rescues the fair maiden(s)

These are fairytales from Lala land. You need to get real.

harry December 24th 12 07:49 AM

An opinion on gun control

On Dec 23, 1:43*pm, "Meanie" wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

Funny (not ha ha) non of these things happen in the UK.

You can put most of it down to Hollywood and the violent video games
now circulating.
Eg the Arnie/Clint moveis
They affect the brains of the simple minded.

We have the simple minded over here but they can't get hold of these
weapons.

...and yet again, the UK is ranked number two in world crime and here you
are still envious of US. *LMFAO!

Er we are discussing gun crime.

harry December 24th 12 07:58 AM

An opinion on gun control

wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Hmmm,
Are you going to arm your self with assault rifle and 200 rounds magazine
or drum?

"Assault rifles" are and have been strickly controlled since 1934
* *(They are machine guns don't ya know...)
You have to jump through all kinds of hoops with the Feds and local police
and pay a $200 tax before you can get one.
If one the other hand you are babbling your ignorance about "assault
weapons" then you are talking about CERTAIN SEMI-automatic (single shot to
single trigger pull) rifles that have certain cosmetic features like a
[...]

I now I prefer to say it differently now.....I don't want civilians to
have guns as good or better than the military or police use, unless
they already own them. *In other words, I don't want military or
police to be out gunned by civilians. *If they satisfy this, civilians
can get whatever guns they want.

Do you realize that we did ban "assault weapons" and high
capacity magazines for a decade, starting in 1994. *Study after
study done by various organizations, including the CDC, which
clearly has no pro-gun agenda, concluded it made no difference
in crime rates, murder rates, etc.

So, either:

A: *You know so little that you don't realize the above

B: You do, but want to do it again, even though it's proven not to
work.

Further, I learned that some other countries have very tight gun
control and the mass killings are few or none but if that means to
remove guns from owners, I do not support that.- Hide quoted text -

The list here by geography says you're wrong again:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rampage_killers

Interesting list that.
Pity you never read it.
It is incomplete (stated in the first paragraph)
It covers murders not by firearms.
Most murders are by firearms

Only one is from the UK (at a time when handguns were legal)

So one is forced to conclude that a complete ban on hand guns is
effective.

harry December 24th 12 08:00 AM

An opinion on gun control

On Dec 23, 1:59*pm, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 01:34:17 -0800 (PST), harry

wrote:

Funny (not ha ha) non of these things happen in the UK.

You can put most of it down to Hollywood and the violent video games
now circulating.
Eg the Arnie/Clint moveis
They affect the brains of the simple minded.

We have the simple minded over here but they can't get hold of these
weapons.

You are full of crap. *It happens there too.

The Dunblane school massacre occurred at Dunblane Primary School in
the Scottish town of Dunblane on 13 March 1996. The gunman,
43-year-old Thomas Hamilton (b. 10 May 1952), entered the school armed
with four handguns, shooting and killing sixteen children and one
adult before committing suicide. Along with the 1987 Hungerford
massacre and the 2010 Cumbria shootings, it remains one of the
deadliest criminal acts involving firearms in the history of the
United Kingdom.

But none since handguns were banned.
Note that both of these massacres were carried out by legal owners of
handguns.

Which just goes to show that gun owners are mentally unbalanced.

harry December 24th 12 08:05 AM

An opinion on gun control

On Dec 23, 3:54*pm, wrote:
On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 01:11:21 -0800 (PST), harry

wrote:
On Dec 23, 1:25*am, Dean Hoffman "
wrote:
* Not mine.

* *This is from Larry Correia. *New York Times bestselling author,
firearm instructor and former gun shop owner.
* * *http://tinyurl.com/catntyr
* The link leads to Monster Hunter Nation.
* *He has trained some Utah teachers and wants them to be armed at
school if they want to be.

* *Part of his comment on gun free zones:

Gun Free Zones are hunting preserves for innocent people. Period.
Think about it. You are a violent, homicidal madman, looking to make a
statement and hoping to go from disaffected loser to most famous person
in the world. The best way to accomplish your goals is to kill a whole
bunch of people. So where’s the best place to go shoot all these people?
Obviously, it is someplace where nobody can shoot back.
In all honesty I have no respect for anybody who believes Gun Free Zones
actually work. You are going to commit several hundred felonies, up to
and including mass murder, and you are going to refrain because there is
a sign? That No Guns Allowed sign is not a cross that wards off
vampires. It is wishful thinking, and really pathetic wishful thinking
at that.

Think of it more like an area/country inhabited by gun nuts is a
danger to the surrounding area/whole world.

Since the Connecticut massacre, 500 more Americans have died by
gunshot. By accident or design.
Happy Christmas for a lot of people.

What a nation of whinging cowards you are.

After Newtown, another 20 kids were killed in cars by the following
Tuesday but I don't see anyone banning cars. It didn't even make the
news

You don't see because you are stupid.

The ones killed in cars was by accident.
Newtown was deliberate.

harry December 24th 12 08:07 AM

An opinion on gun control

On Dec 23, 4:47*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Doug wrote:

Further, I learned that some other countries have very tight gun
control and the mass killings are few or none but if that means to
remove guns from owners, I do not support that.

You mean like Mexico?

Laxity of gun control has little to do with mayhem caused by firearms. For
every country with lax gun control and many deaths, I can respond with a
country with lax control and few deaths. Likewise, the reverse.

Well go ahead then.
How about...Japan?

harry December 24th 12 08:14 AM

An opinion on gun control

On Dec 23, 8:05*pm, " Attila Iskander"
wrote:
"Doug" wrote in message

You bypass all the checks and balances if you buy privately and 40% of
all gun purchases are done this way.

And
Most of the transactions that way are still between law-abiding people
We know that restrictions do NOT curtail criminal transactions
Just look at England, now awash with "illegal" handguns since they have been
banned
There are more of them than before..

If I understood the NRA, I agree only partially with them. *I like the
idea of armed guards (professionals) in schools but not armed
teachers.

Why not armed teachers
They would not be armed to act as guards
The would be armed to defend themselves and automatically defend their
charges
Do you think that having disarmed staff make Sandy Hook staff safer or less
safe ?

But armed guards in schools will not solve the overall
problem of mass killings because the criminals will just move from
schools to churches, malls, stadiums, train stations, etc... or other
places with less resistance.

There is that.
So once again we're back to what the NRA has to say
Armed bad guys are stopped by armed good guys
* * The great, great, great majority of citizens are the "good guys"

Remember that armed citizens shoot more than DOUBLE the number of bad guys
than police do.
* * Why are people trying to ignore the elephant in the room ??

I too was in favor of no semi automatic weapons in civilian hands but
I now I prefer to say it differently now.....I don't want civilians to
have guns as good or better than the military or police use, unless
they already own them. *In other words, I don't want military or
police to be out gunned by civilians. *If they satisfy this, civilians
can get whatever guns they want.

Then you have NO CLUE as to the intent of the 2nd Amendment
The 2nd Amendment is ALL ABOUT citizens having the same arms as the police
and military

They are SUPPOSED to be UNABLE to outgun the citizens as a protectio against
tryranny imposed with the use of police and/or military

Just take a look at EVERY SINGLE dictatorship in the world
* * Guess who is outgunned and who has all the guns

You need to rethink this.

Further, I learned that some other countries have very tight gun
control and the mass killings are few or none but if that means to
remove guns from owners, I do not support that.

Well at least you got that part right
* * No go back and rethink who should outgun whom...

Heh Heh. You really are a half wit. You have been enslaved and robbed
by you wealthy classes/bankers.
How has owning a gun helped there?
Sitting in your ******** (if you haven't been foreclosed on) and
playing with your pistol.

harry December 24th 12 08:26 AM

An opinion on gun control

On Dec 23, 10:15*pm, Arms and the Man wrote:
Oren wrote:
Ask to the comment about the NRA being unreasonable, ask the wife
if Clinton was wrong to add armed patrols in our schools...

If mass murder performed on your children is not too high of a cost for
your american society to pay just so it can crow and brag that it has
the right to keep and bear arms (and maintain the intellectual farce
that it NEEDS that right) - then what exactly would be too high a
price. *?

You've already given up many things to the gov't. *Any right or ability
you had (or thought you had, or wish you had) to conduct anonymous
commerce, travel and communications within your own country for a
start. *You don't seem to care about losing those aspects of civilian
life that the founding fathers and early americans enjoyed.

Everything in society is balanced between cost and benefit. *Risk and
reward. Every product, every service.

Cars, cutlery, toasters. *The design and cost of all retail products and
services is a balance - overwhelmingly in favor of benefit, making great
efforts to reduce risk. *Personal firearms exist outside this balance -
forever given idiosyncratic exception to their cost, their toll, their
liability upon society.

Nothing can be more insane, illogical, ugly or monstrous as when a
society gives itself the right to own and wield dangerous weapons
AGAINST ITSELF in order to protect itself.

Do you really think _We the People_ *have no right to remove a
tyrannical government? Even with force if necessary?

Do you really believe that at any point in the history of your country,
and especially now, that US citizens could organize and fight against
the US Military and win, thereby overthrowing a so-called tyrannical
gov't?

Do you really believe that some simple, feeble words on a dusty piece of
paper would really give you some magical ability to be the hero and
overthrow a tyranical gov't?

Do you really believe that as a last resort, your gov't and the military
it controls wouldn't use it's significant chemical and biological
weapons against you - "the people" ?

The civillian right to own and bear arms is a hollow promise. *It will
never be able to rescue you from a tyranical, beligerant government.
But you are paying, and will continue to pay a heavy price for that
false, inconsequential, ineffective "right".

Well said.
But these people are brainwashed by Hollywood.
They are physical and moral cowards.
Guns are like a child's dummy'pacifier to them. They draw false
comfort from them.
They are too old to change, their brains are set in concrete.

The Daring Dufas[_8_] December 24th 12 08:43 AM

An opinion on gun control

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

That's the whole point my friend, you don't see. I do feel sorry for
you. O_o

TDD

nestork December 24th 12 09:30 AM

One thing I think we can all agree on is that the NRA is being a bit underhanded in calling for a list of "mentally disturbed" people be made up so that they can be barred from buying a gun.

People that have mental problems are no more prone to violence than anyone else, and by this token, even President Ronald Reagan would have been prohibited from purchasing a gun in the latter years of his life. (He died from Alzheimer's disease.) The reason the US government doesn't want to compile such a list is that it would be unfair to presume people with mental illnesses are more prone to act violently or commit murder than anyone else. There are very many different kinds of mental illness, and having a mental illness doesn't make a person violent or prone to become a mass murderer.

In my judgement, this proposed "list" the NRA wants to make up is really underhanded because no mentally disturbed person is going to want to speak out against that proposal for fear of their mental illness being found out by others, including co-workers, supervisors and employees.

Kurt Ullman December 24th 12 11:51 AM

An opinion on gun control

In article , z
wrote:

Not really if the schedules are well managed.

$100-$200K per school times how many schools in the US?

That is awful expensive for an armed guard.

You're going to need at least two (vacations, sick time, etc.) and
figure an employee costs about 2x direct compensation, particularly a
school employee.

FWIW, you would not need two per school. One full time and one rover
for every X number of schools to cover the above.

I wouldn't argue too much. Give them all the training they want and
all the free range time they can use. Easy.

Which is another incidental expense that would have to be figured into
the costs.

the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe

Kurt Ullman December 24th 12 11:55 AM

An opinion on gun control

In article ,
Ashton Crusher wrote:

The solution to copykats is to start licensing and regulating ALL
media outlets. The safety of ourselves,and especially our children,
is just too important to let media outlets continue to operate their
vast networks of information delivery without proper oversight and
control by the gvt. You might object that it would violate the second
amendment but our founders never envisioned a day when a few media
giants would have control over everything the average citizen sees and
hears. So in the context of today's world we must have licensing and
control of all media. It's for the benefit of everyone. Anyone who
objects to this simply has no regard for human life.

Except, of course, for the single page broadsheets printed on hand-run
presses such as were around when the Founders wrote the Constitution.
(Never have had any kind of answer of why the 2nd has to be limited in
such a manner but the 1st (for example) doesn't.
the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe

Doug[_16_] December 24th 12 12:47 PM

An opinion on gun control

wrote:

KR Williams ) wrote:

[...]

I can't speak for a true "anti" gunner but speaking for myself, I just
want better limitations on the use of guns with grandfathered rights.
I don't feel people with guns have the rights to ANY guns in order to
protect themselves. Maybe we need to scrap all the gun laws and
start over ???

Attila Iskander December 24th 12 01:42 PM

An opinion on gun control

"Ashton Crusher" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 01:37:41 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

On Dec 23, 8:48 am, Ashton Crusher wrote:
On Sat, 22 Dec 2012 20:54:37 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Attila Iskander wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Hmmm,
Are you going to arm your self with assault rifle and 200 rounds
magazine or drum?

"Assault rifles" are and have been strickly controlled since 1934
(They are machine guns don't ya know...)
You have to jump through all kinds of hoops with the Feds and local
police and pay a $200 tax before you can get one.
If one the other hand you are babbling your ignorance about "assault
weapons" then you are talking about CERTAIN SEMI-automatic (single
shot
to single trigger pull) rifles that have certain cosmetic features
like
a bayonet lug that magically turn them into "assault weapons" while
[...]

Empty cart rattles most!!!
In my 55 years driving, I never had road accident. i handled so many
different weapons light and heavy in the service. Trained as sniper,
sharp shooter in boot camp. Never missed assigned target, never had
fire
arm accident. When I was done working overdes, I did not choose to live
in the states for obvious reason. I never regret that decision
yet. Good people can defend themselithout using weapons. Only cowards
needs weapons.(they are usually mentally unsecure, that is why)
Illogical debates produce nothing progressive.

Like the dead Principal defended herself without a weapon?

The outcome would have been the same, perhaps worse.

Or, 20 kids might still be alive.

For the gun (control) nuts, the outcome "could ALWAYS have been worse" even
though
1) statistics prove otherwise
2) The FBI analysis of outcomes CLEARLY concluded that being armed is BY FAR
THE BEST WAY to avoid death or serious injury in a criminal encounter.

But the gun (control) nuts IGNORE ANY AND ALL of the "inconvenient truths"

The Daring Dufas[_8_] December 24th 12 01:42 PM

An opinion on gun control

On 12/24/2012 12:05 AM, Attila Iskander wrote:

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
On 12/23/2012 7:38 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 13:09:14 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 14:34:44 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Pennsylvania might need to consider banning "high capacity assault
shovels".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2252172/Woman-charged-threatening-kill-elementary-school-children-bus-stop-shovel.html

I darn near killed a burglar with my bare hands, should we have fist
control laws? O_o

TDD

Can't you register your hands as deadly weapons? And buy insurance on
them?

Most lawyers would advise that a legal holder of a gun would be in
less trouble for shooting someone than a guy who beat someone to
death.

When I catch someone in my place and that miscreant throws a brick at
my face, no jury would convict me of murder for beating the gremlin to
death. ^_^

That sounds like a lot of work.
A couple of bullets to the head is far quicker and more humane.

I haven't owned a gun in years, I wish I hadn't sold my Browning
Hi-Power. I'm in the market for a good 380 pistol now, double tap
to the mouth will stop anything. ^_^

TDD

Attila Iskander December 24th 12 01:44 PM

An opinion on gun control

"Ashton Crusher" wrote in message

wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

[...]

That's a dumb as saying "we can't be sure making all bullets pink
won't be a solution so I say pass a law making them pink".

It's worse than that.
It's
"After 30 years of multiple studies that showed NO EVIDENCE that pink
bullets are a solution, let's make the bullets MORE pink..."

Magical thinking at it's best.

[email protected] December 24th 12 03:38 PM

An opinion on gun control

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 22:57:31 -0600, Doug
wrote:

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 23:22:30 -0500, z wrote:

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 20:38:20 -0600, Doug
wrote:

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 20:26:44 -0500,
z wrote:

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 16:43:52 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 19:17:08 -0500,
z wrote:

I think teachers should just teach.

That's a unique idea. Maybe they should try it.

School board members should be taught that Texas has a border with
Mexico.

I think armed guards (professionals) will be better at protecting the students.

Possible but an incredibly expensive solution.

Not really if the schedules are well managed.

$100-$200K per school times how many schools in the US?

I'm not saying that armed teachers can't protect students but I see potential
problems with this idea.

What problems? Teachers are citizens, too.

... and have a right to carry

Exactly the point. It costs nothing to allow them to do what they
have the right to do without doing anything.

Having rights doesn't supersede common sense or making better use of
weapons.

WTF do you know about common sense? You've certainly demonstrated
none of it here. Ever.

No doubt teachers could be trained but I think the problems
and logistics of teachers having guns on the job is complex and it
would be simpler to use armed guards who could be better qualified
than using teachers.

It's not complex at all. Let them carry as they would to the grocery
store.

In worst case scenario, better to replace a dead
guard than a dead teacher.

Why? In CT we had several dead teachers who were not allowed to
defend themselves or their charges. Evidently that's good enough for
you. "Carry on."

Obviously you aren't stable.

Obviously you shouldn't be a net-shrink. Turn in your Lucy card now.

I hate the thought that you are packing.

You just made my day.

[email protected] December 24th 12 03:43 PM

An opinion on gun control

On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 06:51:19 -0500, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article , z
wrote:

Not really if the schedules are well managed.

$100-$200K per school times how many schools in the US?

That is awful expensive for an armed guard.

You're going to need at least two (vacations, sick time, etc.) and
figure an employee costs about 2x direct compensation, particularly a
school employee.

FWIW, you would not need two per school. One full time and one rover
for every X number of schools to cover the above.

You assume one is sufficient. ...and if he's shot? There are dozens
of teachers every school.

AIUI, there was a guard for the CT school but he wasn't on campus at
the time.

I wouldn't argue too much. Give them all the training they want and
all the free range time they can use. Easy.

Which is another incidental expense that would have to be figured into
the costs.

Police ranges can be reused or expanded. Sure it's an expense. Arming
teachers isn't, unless you demand more training than they would
normally have for CC.

[email protected] December 24th 12 03:45 PM

An opinion on gun control

On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 06:55:44 -0500, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,
Ashton Crusher wrote:

[...]

....when in fact the first doesn't say "shall not be infringed".

[email protected] December 24th 12 03:46 PM

An opinion on gun control

wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

[...]

Were the CT kids shot with pink bullets? Has anyone? See!

[email protected] December 24th 12 03:52 PM

An opinion on gun control

On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 01:12:40 -0500, Wes Groleau
wrote:

On 12-23-2012 23:59, Doug wrote:
On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 23:23:11 -0500, z wrote:
You're just illiterate, obviously. That answers it all.

Obviously not. Je typed the post you quoted.

I wish you wouldn't trim context.

No, he is obviously illiterate; impenetrable.

And you have the brains of a 1st grader.

When the argument degenerates to this kind of stupidity,
you're both acting like first-graders.

[email protected] December 24th 12 03:59 PM

An opinion on gun control

On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 00:07:05 -0500, wrote:

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 23:25:02 -0500,
z wrote:

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 22:23:43 -0500,
wrote:

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 21:03:19 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Most lawyers would advise that a legal holder of a gun would be in
less trouble for shooting someone than a guy who beat someone to
death.

When I catch someone in my place and that miscreant throws a brick at my
face, no jury would convict me of murder for beating the gremlin to
death. ^_^

Don't count on it. A good friend of mine did 7 years in a maryland pen
for beating an intruder to death in his apartment.

They said, one punch, OK and run away but at some point he had the
opportunity to escape and he had the obligation to do it.

I'm sure that varies *widely* by jurisdiction, just as self defense by
gun varies widely (run and hide vs. SYG)

We are still waiting to see how that works out for George Zimmerman in
the state that invented SYG. and circumstances that look like a slam
dunk self defense case.

Sure, but that's an obvious case of prosecutorial overreach, if not
outright criminal fraud. We'll see if the prosecutors come away
jobless or perhaps doing time themselves. ...and GZ will own a few
networks.

There was also the issue about when the imminent threat was gone.
The prosecution demonstrated that after the threat was gone, he hit
the guy again. It was not defense anymore.

Temporary insanity.

That is a great TV defense but in real life you have to be a Kennedy
to get away with it.

Not really. There are many cases of people being pushed "over the
edge" who couldn't get back to the right side as fast as one would
hope. Many domestic violence (retaliation) cases end up not being
prosecuted, TI, or nullified.

Kennedys don't even get charged.

[email protected] December 24th 12 04:00 PM

An opinion on gun control

wrote:

[...]

At the last gun show I went to, I bought a Walther PPK (S&W made).
It's a nice pocket gun.

Kurt Ullman December 24th 12 04:13 PM

An opinion on gun control

In article , z
wrote:

On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 06:51:19 -0500, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,

Not really if the schedules are well managed.

$100-$200K per school times how many schools in the US?

That is awful expensive for an armed guard.

You're going to need at least two (vacations, sick time, etc.) and
figure an employee costs about 2x direct compensation, particularly a
school employee.

FWIW, you would not need two per school. One full time and one rover
for every X number of schools to cover the above.

You assume one is sufficient. ...and if he's shot? There are dozens
of teachers every school.

I am not assuming anything. You made the statement that you are going
to need at least two per school to cover the school and the vacations,
sick time, etc., I was merely pointing out that you could do one and a
rover (or for that matter two with rovers, or three or whatever). You
don't need another FTE solely to cover the ects.

the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe

Home Guy December 24th 12 04:14 PM

An opinion on gun control

z wrote:

Sure it's an expense. Arming teachers isn't, unless you demand
more training than they would normally have for CC.

You can't force anyone to even own a gun, let alone have them take it to
their workplace.

Every day.

And teacher's unions would bargain for an increase in salary for any
teachers that the schools were counting on to double as "security
guards".

And I'd like to know how the whole idea of insurance (both for the
teachers and the schools) would work out if school boards allowed (and
even encouraged, and even paid extra) for teachers to bring their guns
into the classrooms. Liability insurance would almost certainly go up
for schools boards, and hence so would your taxes.

It's a recipe for disaster, because over time there would be more
negative incidents of injury and death caused by guns in schools than
positive, protective incidents.

Kurt Ullman December 24th 12 04:17 PM

An opinion on gun control

In article , z
wrote:

...when in fact the first doesn't say "shall not be infringed".

But does say shall not be abridged. I wonder if there is any legal
difference between the two.....
the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe

Home Guy December 24th 12 04:20 PM

An opinion on gun control

I Guy wrote:

You can't force anyone to even own a gun, let alone have them take
it to their workplace. Every day.

Does anyone even know how the gun ownership-rate of public school staff
compares to the general population?

Is everyone aware that the vast majority of teachers, principals and
other staff in *primary* schools is female - and that gun ownership
among females as a group is much lower than males?

Doug[_16_] December 24th 12 04:41 PM

An opinion on gun control

On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 00:01:08 -0600, " Attila Iskander"
wrote:

.. .

z wrote:

I think teachers should just teach.

That's a unique idea. Maybe they should try it.

School board members should be taught that Texas has a border with
Mexico.

I think armed guards (professionals) will be better at protecting the
students.

Possible but an incredibly expensive solution.

Not really if the schedules are well managed.

$100-$200K per school times how many schools in the US?

I'm not saying that armed teachers can't protect students but I see
potential
problems with this idea.

What problems? Teachers are citizens, too.

... and have a right to carry

Exactly the point. It costs nothing to allow them to do what they
have the right to do without doing anything.

Having rights doesn't supersede common sense or making better use of
weapons. No doubt teachers could be trained but I think the problems
and logistics of teachers having guns on the job is complex

1) There are ALREADY many teachers who are experienced shooters
2) There are ALREADY many teachers who have carry permits
3) There are NO "problems and logistics" to allow teachers, school staff,
volunteers and parents to be armed in schools
4) It only takes a rule change by the school board that says "we
encourage our staff and parents" to get their carry permits and help keep
the schools their children attend safer

Problem solved

and it would be simpler to use armed guards who could be better qualified
than using teachers.

1) In actual fact it would be more complex and FAR MORE expensive.

2) The teachers know both staff and most students at their schools
They would have no problems identifying either a shooter or stranger
at the school

3) As to better qualified, that is highly doubtfull

In worst case scenario, better to replace a dead
guard than a dead teacher.

At Red Lake (Mn) High school, they had to replace a dead guard, (who sadly
proved useless) AND a number of teacher and students

Your arguments fails on so many counts, it's not even funny.

You don't make sense but I'm not going to waste time and talk to a
wall any longer.

Doug[_16_] December 24th 12 04:43 PM

An opinion on gun control

On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 00:02:22 -0600, " Attila Iskander"
wrote:

"Doug" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 01:24:20 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

Doug wrote in
:

I think teachers should just teach. I think armed guards
(professionals) will be better at protecting the students. I'm not
saying that armed teachers can't protect students but I see potential
problems with this idea.

And you *don't* see *actual* problems with the status quo?

Why does anyone think that laws declaring schools to be "gun free zones"
will magically
prevent criminals from bringing guns into schools? If someone is willing
to violate the law
prohibiting murder, why doesn anyone think he would *obey* a law that
prohibits him from
bringing a gun into a school?

Please note my careful choice of verbs in the preceding paragraph. Laws
*prohibit* bad
behavior. They do NOT *prevent* it.

That's why I think armed guards should be used vs. status quo.

Too bad your arguments for that (in other post) don't hold much water

We'll see.

[email protected] December 24th 12 04:46 PM

An opinion on gun control

On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 11:14:26 -0500, Home Guy wrote:

wrote:

Sure it's an expense. Arming teachers isn't, unless you demand
more training than they would normally have for CC.

You can't force anyone to even own a gun, let alone have them take it to
their workplace.

Certainly you can. It's common for police to own their firearm. In
this case, you're just playing with strawmen, again. No one said they
should be forced to carry, though it would certainly be possible.

Every day.

Police carry their weapons, every day.

And teacher's unions would bargain for an increase in salary for any
teachers that the schools were counting on to double as "security
guards".

Screw the teacher's union. They should be busted anyway.

And I'd like to know how the whole idea of insurance (both for the
teachers and the schools) would work out if school boards allowed (and
even encouraged, and even paid extra) for teachers to bring their guns
into the classrooms. Liability insurance would almost certainly go up
for schools boards, and hence so would your taxes.

Zip. Nada.

It's a recipe for disaster, because over time there would be more
negative incidents of injury and death caused by guns in schools than
positive, protective incidents.

Only in your dreams. It doesn't happen.

[email protected] December 24th 12 04:47 PM

An opinion on gun control

On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 11:20:27 -0500, Home Guy wrote:

I Guy wrote:

You can't force anyone to even own a gun, let alone have them take
it to their workplace. Every day.

Does anyone even know how the gun ownership-rate of public school staff
compares to the general population?

Does anyone care?

Is everyone aware that the vast majority of teachers, principals and
other staff in *primary* schools is female - and that gun ownership
among females as a group is much lower than males?

Lower but rising very quickly. Females don't like to be defenseless,
either.

Doug[_16_] December 24th 12 04:57 PM

An opinion on gun control

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 23:37:10 -0600, " Attila Iskander"
wrote:

"Doug" wrote in message
.. .

I think teachers should just teach. I think armed guards
(professionals) will be better at protecting the students. I'm not
saying that armed teachers can't protect students but I see potential
problems with this idea.

Go ahead and list them

If you can't figure out what they are, I give up. I honestly thought
it was intuitive.

Doug[_16_] December 24th 12 05:02 PM

An opinion on gun control

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 17:26:17 -0600, " Attila Iskander"
wrote:

"Doug" wrote in message
.. .

wrote:

Do you realize that we did ban "assault weapons" and high
capacity magazines for a decade, starting in 1994. Study after
study done by various organizations, including the CDC, which
clearly has no pro-gun agenda, concluded it made no difference
in crime rates, murder rates, etc.

Oh by the way, that's not what the CDC said. If you go to their
website...http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5214a2.htm
they say ....
"Evidence was INSUFFICIENT to determine the effectiveness of any of
these laws for the following reasons." They explain this as
depending on which study you go by, some say it went higher and other
studies say it went lower.

DOH !
1) The CDC has a history of being pro gun-control
2) The CC has had it's knuckles rapped by Congress because they got caught
at it
3) They studied more than 30 years of studies, and all they could come up
with is that ?

HELLO ?

How long do you want to study something before you go..
Hmmm
No evidence to support this theory after 30 years of studies
Maybe it's time to come up with a different theory
This is not "global warming" with a planet that operates by millenia
This is simple social issues that operate a MUCH, MUCH SHORTER scale
Try 5-10 years to have meaninfull data

Therefore, since it's inconclusive, I'd say to do it because taking no
action is NOT the solution.

Fine
But since it's INCONCLUSIVE after 30 years, then intelligent people are
NOT
going to go back and do the same old, same old that has proven
inconclusive
after all this time
SMART people are going to try something COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

How about trying to do what the Israeli did to protect their schools after
the palestinian terrorists decided to target their schools
They have nearly 40 years of NO MORE attacks on schools, while we with our
"Gun Free Zones" have 30+ years of school attacks being repeated over and
over...

HELLO ??

I have no problem with trying DIFFERENT so we may agree on that point
but I bet we'll disagree after that.

Then we can only hope that you do continue your "research" on not only the
2nd Amendment, but other subjects as well, so that you can come back and
argue more out of knowledge than ignorance.

I think you guys are really scared of research.

HeyBub[_3_] December 24th 12 05:25 PM

An opinion on gun control

Doug wrote:

My wife usually doesn't say much but about 1/2 hour ago she said outa
the clear blue to me, "the NRA is being unreasonable". I agree with
the NRA for armed guards in the school. I don't like the idea of
armed teachers but neither of these ideas will solve the mass
killings. The killers will just go elsewhere.

Right. They will go to a movie theatre. Or a posted mall. Or the city
council chambers. In fact, EVERY mass shooting (4 or more dead) since 1950
has taken place in a "gun-free" zone - with one exception. Jared Laughner
did his nasty business in a shopping center parking lot - but he was subdued
by a concealed handgun carrier (with help from others).

The obvious fix, then, is to eliminate "gun-free" zones.

HeyBub[_3_] December 24th 12 05:35 PM

An opinion on gun control

Ashton Crusher wrote:

[...]

It's called "projection." The anti-gunners sincerely believe that everybody
would react to a given situation the same way they would if faced with
similar circumstances. For example, your typical anti-gunner believes that,
if he had a gun, he'd fix the son-of-a-bitch who cut him off in traffic and,
ipso facto, those that carry guns will.

Of course that there are probably thousands are "cut off in traffic" every
day with no disastrous results simply doesn't register as a fact on the true
believer.

If this true believer is personally urged to kill the ****er, he is quite
correct in not having a gun. But he shouldn't attribute that reaction to the
planet at large.

Regrettably, he does.