Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thermostat "problem" - thermal cutoff protection actually works!

Just relaying an experience in case someone else happens across it. I swapped a 500W baseboard heater for a new 300W unit as part of a circuit balancing act.

Heater refused to turn on, but the digital thermostat seemed just fine. Measured voltage at heater, only getting 200. ****, did I puncture/damage wiring when finishing the room? Even at a lowly 200V I figured the heater would turn on (just a simple resistor).

I guess 200V is too low, as it turns out the thermostat was rated for a minimum of 2A (300W is only 1.25A). Bypassing the thermostat temporarily, the heater (now face-down on the floor) is producing heat.

Off to store, purchase a thermostat that is compatible with lower loads. Make the connections, all looks good until I'm screwing the thermostat face plate on. Without warning, the thermostat display goes blank. ****! Did I short something out when screwing in the plate? Try again, seems ok but the same thing happens. Can't believe I bought a bad thermostat.

Then it dawns on me...thermal cutoff is activating. Didn't think I'd ever see it, particularly with a little 300W heater. Problem resolved simply by orienting heater in 'normal' position.

This calls for a cold beer....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, December 17, 2012 12:43:29 PM UTC-3:30, Tony Hwang wrote:
wrote:

Then it dawns on me...thermal cutoff is activating. Didn't think I'd ever see it, particularly with a little 300W heater. Problem resolved simply by orienting heater in 'normal' position.

This calls for a cold beer....

Have you read the manual for sure?, LOL!

Ha! No manual came with the heater. The new T-stat manual did mention thermal cutoff protection but I ignored it since the heater had just been turned on...I expected the heater to get somewhat warm before it actually shut itself off (it didn't)!

BTW, who reads manuals anymore? I installed 10 other heaters in the house and never had an issue. Can't teach an old dog something or other...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Then it dawns on me...thermal cutoff is activating. *Didn't think I'd ever see it, particularly with a little 300W heater. *Problem resolved simply by orienting heater in 'normal' position.

This calls for a cold beer....

Have you read the manual for sure?, LOL!

Ha! *No manual came with the heater. *The new T-stat manual did mention thermal cutoff protection but I ignored it since the heater had just been turned on...I expected the heater to get somewhat warm before it actually shut itself off (it didn't)!

BTW, who reads manuals anymore? *I installed 10 other heaters in the house and never had an issue. *Can't teach an old dog something or other...

My heater has a gravity type switch as well, so that the heater turns
off unless it is standing in its normal operating position. So, it
turns off if turned over into any position except normal upright
position.