Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Range Hood Membrane Switch

Kenmore Elite Range Hood. I don't think it's even been 5 years since I put
it in. It has a 3 speed fan and 3 light levels for a pair of halogen
floods. The control is electronic with membrane buttons and includes a
temperature sensor that turns on the fan automatically.

The membrane switch for the max position for the lights has already worn
out (no one ever intentionally uses the medium or low). So what are my
options?

Replace the entire switch/electronics unit. (I haven't looked up the price
yet.) Which will probably last only as long as the original.

See if I can cut some traces and jumper to make one or both of the other
brightness settings be the high setting. That'll buy us a few years until
they wear out as well.

The more drastic option would be to drill a hole and install an ordinary
mechanical switch, probably a little toggle. If it's an SPDT, with the
pole feeding the lights, one side could connect to live power while the
other, instead of just being off, could connect back to the original panel
in off chance someone wanted to use one of the dimmer positions.

Or, even more drastically, wire the lights to an actual wall switch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Kraus" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Decide if you plan to sell the property. If anytime soon fix it right
otherwise you may have to replace the entir unit when you do sell.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 9, 4:04*pm, "NotMe" wrote:
[...]

some membrame switches can be disassembled to clean the contacts,
which likely are contaminated with cooking vapors like grease
Posted to alt.home.repair

Decide if you plan to sell the property. If anytime soon fix it right
otherwise you may have to replace the entir unit when you do sell.

Are you saying I can't have a toggle switch on a range hood?
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/11/2012 10:35 AM, Steve Kraus wrote:
Decide if you plan to sell the property. If anytime soon fix it right
otherwise you may have to replace the entir unit when you do sell.

Are you saying I can't have a toggle switch on a range hood?

He's just spreading fud instead of aid...

If as another noted you can't clean contacts or find a replacement (look
for a manufacturer on the switch; often you can find the same or
equivalent switches from Newark or Mouser or other suppliers) then other
than the cosmetics there's nothing to prevent such a modification.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Steve Kraus wrote:

[...]

I have no idea whether this is actually feasible, but it's theoretically
feasible: You could swap some wires around to make the low or medium
switch into a high switch, or short the lamps or lamp filaments together
so that any button results in high illumination.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Kraus writes:

[...]

No, don't mess it up.

Simply type into Google:

kenmore elite range hood parts

You'll need the model number.

The new switch may not fail as quickly as the original.

Also, you may want to try unplugging or killing power to the unit for 60
seconds. There are computers in the most unlikely places these days.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Kraus" wrote in message
m...
Decide if you plan to sell the property. If anytime soon fix it right
otherwise you may have to replace the entire unit when you do sell.

Are you saying I can't have a toggle switch on a range hood?

Just been through the process of buying and selling several properties.

Unless the repair looks like an OEM fix the inspector (if they are good)
will note the repair as a technical deficiency and the lender is *very*
likely to say 'make it OEM or no funding.'

It's a heads up. Heed or not, your option.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 11, 5:11*pm, "NotMe" wrote:
"Steve Kraus" wrote in message

m...

Decide if you plan to sell the property. *If anytime soon fix it right
otherwise you may have to replace the entire unit when you do sell.

Are you saying I can't have a toggle switch on a range hood?

Just been through the process of buying and selling several properties.

Unless the repair looks like an OEM fix the inspector (if they are good)
will note the repair as a technical deficiency and the lender is *very*
likely to say 'make it OEM or no funding.'

It's a heads up. *Heed or not, your option.

yep home inspectors have become very picky. you may have to replace
the range hood.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

No objection to fixing things properly. I'd prefer it. But not if it's
going to require replacing the control panel (it's one membrane all the way
across for 3 fan speeds and 3 light levels) every five years.

Depends if what Sears Parts refers to as Control Panel for $18.99 is all I
need or if I need Control Assembly for $100.49. I guess some disassembly
is indicated to make sure the former is not just some cosmetic thing.
Twenty bucks every so many years would be okay.