Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Door Bell Problem Fixed

Thanks everyone for your help. I tried to attach this reply to my
original post, but for some reason it is not working.

I was able to solve my door bell button problem by researching online.
It ends up that I have a door bell that one can select different chimes.
In order for it to work, a small wire with a diode on it must be put on
the new door bell button, and wrapped around the two screws. I did
wonder why my new button did not have this wire on it.

It took me three minutes to fix the problem, and two hours of wasted
time trying to figure it out. Oh well, I learned something new, and
saved some money.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Kate
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
Thanks everyone for your help. I tried to attach this reply to my
original post, but for some reason it is not working.

I was able to solve my door bell button problem by researching online.
It ends up that I have a door bell that one can select different chimes.
In order for it to work, a small wire with a diode on it must be put on
the new door bell button, and wrapped around the two screws. I did
wonder why my new button did not have this wire on it.

It took me three minutes to fix the problem, and two hours of wasted
time trying to figure it out. Oh well, I learned something new, and
saved some money.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Kate

Hi,
Remember the LOGIC when trouble shooting anything. If you understand
what diode does then you will know why it is there. Obviously you did
not take a good look at the original button. Our chime has three
terminals for front door, back door and side door. Buttons don't have
any diode. It plays 3 different tunes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 19:15:30 -0800, Kate wrote:

Thanks everyone for your help. I tried to attach this reply to my
original post, but for some reason it is not working.

I was able to solve my door bell button problem by researching online.
It ends up that I have a door bell that one can select different chimes.
In order for it to work, a small wire with a diode on it must be put on
the new door bell button, and wrapped around the two screws. I did
wonder why my new button did not have this wire on it.

It took me three minutes to fix the problem, and two hours of wasted
time trying to figure it out. Oh well, I learned something new, and
saved some money.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Kate

Darn high-tech. I'm going to use a string and an all-mechanical
bell.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks everyone for your help. I tried to attach this reply to my
original post, but for some reason it is not working.

I was able to solve my door bell button problem by researching online.
It ends up that I have a door bell that one can select different chimes.
In order for it to work, a small wire with a diode on it must be put on
the new door bell button, and wrapped around the two screws. I did wonder
why my new button did not have this wire on it.

It took me three minutes to fix the problem, and two hours of wasted time
trying to figure it out. Oh well, I learned something new, and
saved some money.

*I recently found out about the needed diode when one of my customers
purchased a new LED doorbell button and found that her doorbell would not
work with it. The instructions for the button barely mentioned the diode
and didn't say how it could be obtained as it did not come with one. She
decided to look for an old fashion neon button instead.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/14/2012 4:43 AM, John Grabowski wrote:
[...]

I've never seen a standard residential doorbell that used a high enough
voltage to light a neon bulb. O_o

TDD

Door Bell Problem Kate[_5_] Home Repair 4 November 14th 12 04:05 PM
door bell - ot Frank[_13_] Home Repair 3 August 26th 11 08:19 AM
Door bell Terry Home Repair 10 August 23rd 07 04:06 PM
Door bell problem Dave Home Repair 11 December 28th 06 05:02 AM
Door bell problem [email protected] Home Repair 0 December 27th 06 02:28 PM