Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hot Water Heating Furnace Questions

Hello,

Have a gas forced hot water system that uses two circulators.
No zone valves.

a. On the outlet of the furnace, each of the two zones has
an "anti-gravity flow control" valve. These are basically check-valves
to allow flow in only one direction.

These are nice, and have a handle to disable the check function so that
if you are using the furnace during a power outage, you can then have it
work as a pure gravity system.

(as a gravity system, there wouldn't be enough pressure to get passed
the valve, so you have to disable it)

The valve are very old and should be replaced.

The one or two Plumbers I've had over say that they don't come with
these handles to disable their function on them anymore.

I'm sure they probably do, but cannot find any via a Google search.

Can anyone please point me in to a few Links that show them for sale ?

b. And I'm also told that it is illegal
(State, or is it a Federal law ?) to have new, or old, furnaces with the
thermopiles ignition so that you can use it during a power failure.

We get a lot of power failures up here, and it sure is nice to be able
to still use the furnace as a gravity system; it just cycles between the
high and low limits.

Are these replacement thermopiles still available ?
From who ? Link ?

Legal ?

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

Why do you heat hot water?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Bob" wrote in message
Hello,

Have a gas forced hot water system that uses two circulators.
No zone valves.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 8 Nov 2012 16:45:38 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Why do you heat hot water?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Bob" wrote in message
Hello,

Have a gas forced hot water system that uses two circulators.
No zone valves.

He did NOT say he had a hot water heater. He has a hot water (heating)
system. Your poor sense of humout is misplaced (again)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/8/2012 9:10 AM, Bob wrote:
[...]

You could install valves that bypass the check valves.

b. And I'm also told that it is illegal
(State, or is it a Federal law ?) to have new, or old, furnaces with the
thermopiles ignition so that you can use it during a power failure.

We get a lot of power failures up here, and it sure is nice to be able
to still use the furnace as a gravity system; it just cycles between the
high and low limits.

Are these replacement thermopiles still available ?
From who ? Link ?

A real simple limited gogle search at one local supplier turned up
Robertshaw 1951-536 and 1950-532

Legal ?

If anyone finds info they are not kosher I would be interested.