Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Austrailian view of Red Cross

A good survivalist comments on Red Cross.
From another list.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

My father was a soldier during WW2. New Guinea, Bouganville, Borneo...
that whole area. 2/2 Pioneer Battalion.

When I was growing up, he regarded charity collectors with disdain,
particularly the Red Cross. One exception. The Salvation Army.

I asked him why once. He sat and thought for while, clearly remembering.
Dad was someone that spoke very little of his wartime experiences and I'd
learned not to ask, it didn't occur to me at the time that it was because of
a wartime experience.

"When I was in New Guinea, we always knew where the Red Cross were. Back
behind the lines, around HQ somewhere. Diggers on the front line never saw
the buggers until they rotated back to the rear echelon. The Salvos, well,
they were usually up there with us. Where the front line was, where the
troops were in most need. Quite a few got wounded or killed. But they
were always there, with a bit of soap, or some hot tea, razor blades, or
just a pencil and some paper to write letters home. So I'll give to them,
but not these other useless b......s."

free view Dave UK diy 13 May 3rd 10 12:54 PM
OT=360 view on Edmunds. in2dadark Home Repair 1 December 29th 08 03:40 AM
VERY OT - A View Of America [email protected] Metalworking 36 August 4th 08 03:59 PM
New cheap printers or mad austrailian? Bob Urz Electronics Repair 0 March 11th 07 04:58 PM
Tri-view or bi-view mirrors? Actor123 Home Repair 0 February 4th 07 05:16 PM