Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default LG washing machine WM2016CW replacing moldy door gasket.

I am trying to replace the door gasket for this LG WM2016CW washing machine.
A quick parts search turned up this part number, MDS33059401. That's the
part number that was ordered from Sears and that's the part number that was
on the bag that contained the part when it arrived. The label on the parts
bag also said, "MOLD EPDM EPDM GRAY T2.0 TUB Neo PJT." I tried all kinds of
ways to get this gasket to sit nicely around the lip of which it is supposed
to sit. I applied a little bit of dish soap around the perimeter of the
gasket as shown in the video as well but that didn't make it any easier.
After many attempts, I have the following situation. I think it is installed
properly but that fact that I have any doubts about this doesn't sit well
with me. It took way too long for me to install the gasket. I'm thinking
either I have the wrong part or I'm missing something very basic about the
way it's supposed to be installed. I watched several installation videos on
the web and it doesn't look that difficult. The main problem I had was once
I got the top portion of the gasket installed, it was extremely difficult to
keep it in place while installing it around the perimeter. The next
challenge was to install the tensioning wire. It wasn't obvious where it was
supposed to sit. I put it as far down as possible because the raised part of
the circular frame does not protrude very much and the wire has to have
something to support it. When I finally got it in place, I put the front
panel on and tried to install the outside part of the gasket. There is no
way to fit that part of the gasket snugly around its seated position. The
old gasket was thrown away because it was a moldy mess and I didn't
anticipate that perhaps I would have had to compare it to the new one.

If you have any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your reply.
--

David Farber
Los Osos, CA