Fray Bentos

Default replacing washing machine door seal

I have a hotpoint wm52 with 2 small tears in the seal. consequently, it
leaks. Anyhow, how easy/difficult is it to replace?
and more to the point, how do I do it?

thanks in advance

fray bentos

Bob Eager

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 15:58:45 UTC, "Fray Bentos" wrote:

I have a hotpoint wm52 with 2 small tears in the seal. consequently, it
leaks. Anyhow, how easy/difficult is it to replace?
and more to the point, how do I do it?

I have a slightly older Hotpoint, so details of attachment may vary.

New seal is 7 or 8 quid, typically. You open the door, and release the
spring band/whatever that holds the outer edge of the seal. The inner
edge is held by a metal band that goes round a lip on the wash tub; you
can usually get to the screw that holds this by simply taking the top
off the machine.

Reassembly is obvious except it can be a pig getting the edge of the
seal over the rim. Most difficult problem can be working out how the
outer edge retainer works...mine has a wire loop that fits into a small
lump of plastic, and you just push it away off the rim and it comes
apart.
--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Fray Bentos

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
[...]

I just called local spare shop, quoted £18.50 for seal.

fray

Fray Bentos

"Fray Bentos" wrote in message
. ..

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
[...]

Well this is it so far.

I have removed the outer wire by opening a plastic clip thing just inside
the door.

I removed the inner wire by unscrewing tension band. seal is now off.

I have a concern about getting the inner band on properly all the way around
when I refit the new one. looks a bit tricky. apart from that, jobs a good
'un

fray

Bob Eager

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 16:44:36 UTC, "Fray Bentos" wrote:

New seal is 7 or 8 quid, typically. You open the door, and release the

I just called local spare shop, quoted £18.50 for seal.

Not surprised. CPC sold me one for about 7 quid plus VAT; even with the
small order handling charge you'd save money! Lots of online places
though..

I have a concern about getting the inner band on properly all the way around
when I refit the new one. looks a bit tricky. apart from that, jobs a good
'un

Remember that if you put the inner band on first, you can access it
through the door opening...

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!

raden

In message , Fray Bentos
writes
I have a hotpoint wm52 with 2 small tears in the seal. consequently, it
leaks. Anyhow, how easy/difficult is it to replace?
and more to the point, how do I do it?

thanks in advance

fray bentos

Easy as pie (a steak and kidney one) ha ha

--
geoff
Fray Bentos

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 16:44:36 UTC, "Fray Bentos" wrote:

New seal is 7 or 8 quid, typically. You open the door, and release

the

I just called local spare shop, quoted £18.50 for seal.

Not surprised. CPC sold me one for about 7 quid plus VAT; even with the
small order handling charge you'd save money! Lots of online places
though..

I have a concern about getting the inner band on properly all the way

around
when I refit the new one. looks a bit tricky. apart from that, jobs a

good
'un

Remember that if you put the inner band on first, you can access it
through the door opening...

--
Bob Eager

Well It took me 5 mins to remove old seal and about an hour to fit new one.
Easier that I expected. I ran a wash with a piece of newspaper under the
machine. no leaks. whahey.
thanks for advice Bob.

fray bentos