Posted to alt.home.repair

Default electrical service monitor?

While sitting here with my new generator running I'm thinking about
the power coming back. Currently the only way I know it is live is to
throw the transfer switch. If its not there then I switch it back.
But, in the mean time, all the other devices have stopped and must
restart again which causes a large, albeit short, load.

Is anyone aware of a device or circuit that can bridge the main line
feed on the service side of the main breaker that would
glow/illuminate when energized? I remember similar circuits using
neon bulbs that provided similar indication.

Suggestions please? Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Watch the neighbors house.

Ideally, a transfer switch would have a loud buzzer,
wired to the line side. A good electrician can wire
a neon bulb, easy enough.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"BobMCT" wrote in message
While sitting here with my new generator running I'm thinking about
the power coming back. Currently the only way I know it is live is to
throw the transfer switch. If its not there then I switch it back.
But, in the mean time, all the other devices have stopped and must
restart again which causes a large, albeit short, load.

Is anyone aware of a device or circuit that can bridge the main line
feed on the service side of the main breaker that would
glow/illuminate when energized? I remember similar circuits using
neon bulbs that provided similar indication.

Suggestions please? Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

BobMCT wrote in
:

While sitting here with my new generator running I'm thinking about
the power coming back. Currently the only way I know it is live is to
throw the transfer switch. If its not there then I switch it back.
But, in the mean time, all the other devices have stopped and must
restart again which causes a large, albeit short, load.

Is anyone aware of a device or circuit that can bridge the main line
feed on the service side of the main breaker that would
glow/illuminate when energized? I remember similar circuits using
neon bulbs that provided similar indication.

Suggestions please? Thanks.

Such a thing is called a "lamp" or a "Bell".
Connect it to the incoming line, and switch when
you see the light or hear the sound......
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 29, 6:12*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 18:06:12 -0400, BobMCT
wrote:

While sitting here with my new generator running *I'm thinking about
the power coming back. *Currently the only way I know it is live is to
throw the transfer switch. *If its not there then I switch it back.
But, in the mean time, all the other devices have stopped and must
restart again which causes a large, albeit short, load.

Is anyone aware of a device or circuit that can bridge the main line
feed on the service side of the main breaker that would
glow/illuminate when energized? *I remember similar circuits using
neon bulbs that provided similar indication.

Suggestions please? * *Thanks.

If you have one of those digital meters, go look at it.
If you see numbers, the power is on

I just look out the window at some neighbors house who don't have a
generator. When their lights go on, I know power is back on.