Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Aluminum wire (was dryer)

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 01:18:19 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 18:15:26 -0400,
wrote:

On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 13:11:33 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

I quit trusting UL after nearly getting kiled by a machine I repair
for a living. the machine has a key lock carring line voltage in in a
all plastic cover.

one customer reported the key lock was hard to turn, i happened to be
touching the machines frame with one hand while attempting to turn the
key. I will never ever do that again! 120 volts hand to hand isnt
good

next thing i knew i was across the room looking up at the cieling.
people came running apparently i screamed...

I called and reported it to UL, the lock should have a ground wire to
the machines frame. they werent interested..... the units even today
lack a ground for the electric key lock. the manufacturer was informed
to but never did anything.......

I also found a machine where the manufacturer fused the neutral side
of the power line, UL had inspected the new model and passed the
model, fact is I was at the manufacturers plant the same day UL was
doing their review, I got to see the new model while the UL reps went
to lunch.

UL may try but they are far from perfect

CSA is a LOT more stringent - but if something has NOT been
approved by UL there is likely a pretty good case for not using it -
since they allow some pretty obvious dangerous defects to pass.

U/L is basically just testing for the spread of fire

U/L - Underwriters Labs = insurance issues.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dryer Trips Breaker...Except When it Doesn't

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 05:44:03 +0000, triple7sss
wrote:

responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...-t-718049-.htm
triple7sss wrote:

triple7sss wrote:

Alright, I'm at a loss. When I vent my dryer to the outside it takes 2
- 3
cycles to dry a load of clothes. I assume the duct is clogged or
partially
clogged and will get HVAC guy to come out and take a look.

So I bought one of those little plastic interior vent boxes that you put
some
water in and run the flexible duct from the dryer over to it. When I
hook that
up, clothes dry quickly but it blows the breaker after about 5 minutes
of
drying. I thought maybe venting warm air was overheating the dryer so I
extended the flex tube out to the front of the dryer and got the same
results.

So I moved the little plastic vent box across the hall from the dryer
and turned
on the whole house fan that sits directly above to pull cool air in and
suck the
warm air from the dryer out. It still trips the breaker.

The breaker gets warm but if there was a problem why wouldn't it also
trip when
the dryer is vented to the outside?

--

"Write a wise saying and your name will live forever."

- Anonymous

Bad breaker. I moved it over to another 30AMP dual breaker and the wire
at the breaker never warmed up and never tripped. $15 later I'm in bidness.

Thanks everyone.

Like I said.
Posted to alt.home.repair

triple7sss wrote:

clare wrote:

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 05:44:03 +0000, triple7sss
icaedfaa9ed1216d60ef78a6f660f5f85_7658@example. com wrote:/i

iresponding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...-t-718049-.htm
/i
itriple7sss wrote:/i
i/i
itriple7sss wrote:/i
i/i
i/i
i Alright, I'm at a loss. When I vent my dryer to the outside
it takes 2/i
i - 3/i
i cycles to dry a load of clothes. I assume the duct is
clogged or/i
i partially/i
i clogged and will get HVAC guy to come out and take a
look./i
i/i
i So I bought one of those little plastic interior vent boxes
that you put/i
i some/i
i water in and run the flexible duct from the dryer over to
it. When I/i
i hook that/i
i up, clothes dry quickly but it blows the breaker after about
5 minutes/i
i of/i
i drying. I thought maybe venting warm air was overheating
the dryer so I/i
i extended the flex tube out to the front of the dryer and got
the same/i
i results. /i
i/i
i So I moved the little plastic vent box across the hall from
the dryer/i
i and turned/i
i on the whole house fan that sits directly above to pull cool
air in and/i
i suck the/i
i warm air from the dryer out. It still trips the
breaker./i
i/i
i The breaker gets warm but if there was a problem why
wouldn't it also/i
i trip when/i
i the dryer is vented to the outside?/i
i/i
i -- /i
i/i
i "Write a wise saying and your name will live
forever."/i
i/i
i - Anonymous/i
i/i
i/i
iBad breaker. I moved it over to another 30AMP dual breaker and
the wire /i
iat the breaker never warmed up and never tripped. $15 later I'm
in bidness. /i
i/i
iThanks everyone./i
Like I said.