Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Exploding toilets

Here's the whole story which you'd have to scroll down to read:

"FLUSH, KABOOM! IN SOUTH CAROLINA

"The terror that strikes from below – an exploding toilet bowl – is sowing
fear and fecal water all over the small, confusingly named town of North,
South Carolina. The Improvised Bathroom Device lashed at the civic heart of
North itself, going off in the men's bathroom inside Town Hall, reports the
Times and Democrat. The stall's occupant had fortunately stepped away
seconds before the eruption, which blew a third of the tank to smithereens
and lodged porcelain shrapnel in a door. The culprit was a toilet engineered
for heavy public use that employs a high-pressure valve and less water than
normal.

"Detonating toilets have become a recent scourge in the American bathroom
scene. Although the brand of North's rogue crapper is unknown, earlier this
summer Flushmate issued a massive voluntary recall of pressurized toilets
after about 300 people complained of explosions. One poor victim of such a
buttock-shaking barrage said that 'I required dozens of stitches for an
extremely deep wound,' although being 'a bigger person, I was able to absorb
the brunt of the force.' "

With pic of exploded toilet (minus shrapnel in victim's body):
http://www.theatlanticcities.com/nei...-toilets/3606/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 18, 8:01*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
[...]

With pic of exploded toilet (minus shrapnel in victim's body):http://www.theatlanticcities.com/nei...south-carolina...

I realize that the picture at that site is not a picture of the Town
Hall toilet that "sowed fear and fecal water all over the small,
confusingly named town of North, South Carolina" but I have to ask...

If it's the tank - not the bowl - that is exploding, how is "fecal
water" being sowed?

Methinks the author embellished the facts somewhat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
HeyBub typed:
Here's the whole story which you'd have to scroll down to
read:
"FLUSH, KABOOM! IN SOUTH CAROLINA

With pic of exploded toilet (minus shrapnel in victim's
body):
http://www.theatlanticcities.com/nei...-toilets/3606/

Do you believe everythng you read?

Posted to alt.home.repair
rlz rlz is offline

On Oct 18, 7:28*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Oct 18, 8:01*am, "HeyBub" wrote:

[...]

Methinks the author embellished the facts somewhat.- Hide quoted text -

I've had two of these flushmate toilets in my house for about 10 years
now. I really love them. I got the recall kit, which is basically a
pressure regulator that attaches to the inlet water line, and a metal
strap that wraps around the intertal tank.
The toilets are a little loud when it flushes, but it definitely works
well for a 1.6 gallon flush.

I agree with DerbyDad03 about the "fecal water". The part that is
bursting is a plastic cylinder inside the water storage tank above the
toilet bowl. That part bursts because of the excessive pressure,
which can break the ceramic tank. It wouldn't affect the toilet bowl,
so fecal water would be undisturbed.

Robin
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 06:28:30 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Oct 18, 8:01*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
[...]

The number 1 cause of exploding toilets is not the toilet itself, but
rather the user. All it takes is some big fat asshole with excessive
flatulance. This asshole blows a huge fart, while lighting a cigarette,
and KABOOM!!!!

Now that will surely spread fecal matter all over the place!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Twayne wrote:
In ,
HeyBub typed:
Here's the whole story which you'd have to scroll down to
read:
"FLUSH, KABOOM! IN SOUTH CAROLINA

With pic of exploded toilet (minus shrapnel in victim's
body):
http://www.theatlanticcities.com/nei...-toilets/3606/

Do you believe everythng you read?

Well, it IS on the internet! And there's art.

Exploding paint can! PeterC UK diy 1 October 3rd 11 08:00 PM
Exploding floor jmagerl Home Repair 8 March 9th 08 10:48 PM
exploding mosfet John Atkins Electronics Repair 2 May 27th 05 06:42 PM
exploding MDF Jason Woodworking 52 April 16th 05 01:56 AM
Toilets... dirty stinking toilets! dougga Home Repair 6 October 27th 04 06:56 PM